Twin Falls Trail

Twin Falls Trail is a 7.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Witts Springs, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

Twin Falls Trail via Richland Creek Wilderness NF Campground partially requires a bushwhack and requires two river crossings while following Richland creek and climbing bluffs. A short side trail leads to Richland Falls. The whole area is very scenic. The twin falls are 17' and 19' tall that occur where two creeks merge into one. Richland Falls which is a side trail, is only 6' tall but is one hundred ft. wide. The trail is rugged and quite faint at times. Care must be exercised at the water crossings. The twin falls are fed by wet weather creeks and are best seen in the fall and spring seasons.

Any area along Richland creek offers great trails and beautiful scenery from the wooded area's to the multiple waterfalls. Falling water, Twin falls, and six fingers falls to name a few. This is a must see area if you've not been dont miss out anymore

it was a great trail did take a little bit to find the trail went off of it multiple time but was also first time out there had a blast water was kind of low went July 15 2018 going back this weekend right after a rain august 11th 2018 will report when I return.

There are no clear markers at the starting of the trail. Went the wrong way for a bit before back tracking. But once in the trail, it is beautiful. We stopped multiple times to get in the water since the weather was so hot.

This was my first solo hiking/camping trip. The trail is marked fairly well and I didn't have much trouble staying on track. I did follow the creek as intended. However, the water was high enough that I needed to swim across Richland Creek to get to Twin Falls. You will be getting wet! At several points during the trail you will need to cross a body of water on foot. Most of which were about calf/knee height for me. The last was waist/chest height and at times you cannot touch the bottom completely so you need to be very careful. The current can be strong in some areas. When you come to a bend in the creek with a flat stoney shore, you'll need to cross where it comes to a fork. This is the only part that is not marked. There is no indication that you'll need to cross at that point. Luckily, I ran into a couple at the very spot and they asked me if I was looking for Twin Falls. They mentioned they had been there before and pointed me in the right direction. I would not have been able to find it if it weren't for their guidance. Continue on for about half a mile (maybe less) and you will know you've reached Twin Falls when you see it. Although it is marked a "hard" trail, I think it is doable for anybody who is generally active. There's various terrain and beautiful scenery everywhere you turn. I will be back to continue exploring and to possibly bring friends!

You’ll have to swim the river to get to the trail head. Watch for the sign across the bank. Not a bad hike. Marked well but lots of ticks.

This and Richland creek trail have got to be my favorite places to hike!

Very tough hike but amazing! Best hike to date

One of my favorite trails in AR. I went for the second time last week, and the views the whole way to the falls were beautiful. I am definitely going back again soon.

So beautiful! So untouched. Difficult, but every bit worth the trek. What an adventure!

awesome trail! not marked. once you come to a large campsite where Richland creek meets a dry creek bed, cross here. follow the creek bed quarter mile to twin falls. our first attempt landed us at Richland falls. the trail was a heinous mud slide. very dangerous. we walked around on our way back. overall great hike. I love this area, it's going to provide years of exploration.

awesome two day hike! accidentally found richland falls first. when reaching the huge camp site where richland creek meets a dry creek bed , cross richland creek. a trail follows the creek bed .25 miles to twin falls. super fun trail! this area will provide years or exploration.

Great hike! Trail was very poorly marker. I would allow at least 3 hours down and back if you don't stop. So many beautiful places to stop and look around, have a picnic or explore. Loved it. We will return.

I gave this trail a 5 star rating due to the absolute beauty of the area, the unmaintained natural look and the lack of people. for a beautiful video of this trail and the falls go here . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuozGRgvezQ&t=9s
This trail is for more hard core hikers as the trail is not marked and if you do not take a map and compass you will get lost and not find twin falls. just a tip to get to twin falls . . . when you reach the large campsite at the creeks edge you will then need to cross the creek go up and over the mountain and when you reach the creek follow it upstream till you come to the falls. (there are two identical creeks running parallel to each other separated by a mountain)
otherwise if you continue to follow the creek you started on you will come to Richland creek falls (the wide falls).
if you come to these falls first then cross the creek go up and over the mountain and follow that creek UP STREAM till you run into the falls.

Only gave this trail 3 stars because there are no markers on the trees, the trailhead was a little tricky to find, not very well maintained (lots of trees down), and all trails says this trail is 4.4 - ohhh, no it is not!! Ha - to get to the first set of falls and back took about 6 miles. Never actually found the twins... maybe they were up past the first long set of falls but the trail goes dead at this point & didn't want to be stuck out here in the dark w lack of markings. Still, gorgeous falls and a pretty awesome hike (minus the horseflies on Labor Day & snakes).

If someone has a suggestion or tips for getting to the twins, let me know

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

I lost a wedding band/ring on 7.4.2017
I lost it in the parking lot or the trail.
Please contact me at 405-826-7874 or email me at Palesanoryan@gmail.com

Monday, July 03, 2017

An amazing hike! I'd highly recommend the pro all trails app! We wouldn't of found it without it! Also I left a small gift for the next person to FIND it! www.findapparelcompany.com

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Lost my wedding ring at the falls.
Titanium satin finish.
Thanks 479-381-1075

Friday, April 14, 2017

well worth the hike! had to cross the creek multiple times and it got pretty deep, but the views were amazing

Saturday, April 08, 2017

This trail was great!! The falls were amazing :)

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Hands down, the best falls. A tiny bit of a scramble to get back out of the valley if coming from the cemetery route and you will be getting wet coming from the campground trail, but 100% worth the effort to see those gorgeous falls! We have visited in late fall and very early spring and would like to go back once the trees have buds in mid spring.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Two river crossings on the trail, the second we were not able to stay dry. The falls were worth every mile

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Visited today only to find the trail was closed today due to a wildfire. No indication of how long it will be closed for. I'll reassess the rating when I actually get to hike this trail.

Friday, January 06, 2017

Go all the way toward the end of the campsite, in between two camps there is a little path going down to the creek. After the crossing, there should be a sign pointing to the falls. I would take the lesser worn trail going UP the hill rather than going straight which runs along the river. After that, trail isn't that bad at all.

Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Great trail. Not very well marked. This is a extremely strenuous trail especially going up to the caves. Every step was worth it though. Absolutely beautiful. Even got to see to otters playing in the creek!

Sunday, September 11, 2016

So very hard to get to, but beautiful! Take a GPS device

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Just moved to the Branson area and did some of the Buffalo River trails on Thursday, and yesterday my sister in law and I were so excited to do this trail at Twin Falls! The 7.8 mile trek sounded perfect for us, and moving from Colorado I'm a somewhat seasoned hiker. We got to the trail head directed by the ranger from the campground as there are no maps from the campground and poor signage, finally found the entrance, where there was again no map, of course no cell service, and the registration box was covered in a nest of sorts. There is a map board, but inside no map. We had downloaded the routes from past hikers on here and it seemed throughout our hike we were on the "trails" they had tracked but there was absolutely no indication that it was a trail. Technicality aside, just no markings and poorly maintained if at all throughout. We were completely off the mark or is it really that no one has been on this trail in such a long time? Took our dogs, which usually turns out well as its great for them and mine has done many Colorado mountains, also loves the water which was beautiful there. About 1.1 miles into our hike, we were feeling frustrated to not find the trail and were navigating through a boulder field by the river trying to get to what seems like a fork in what should be a trail to head up to the larger water fall and do the bulk of the distance for this hike, and the dog jumped onto the rock ahead of me only to stir up a GIANT timber rattle snake, which scared the life out of me and stood its 7" rattle up to ward us away, which worked well, as we screamed, and turned around immediately to head out. Even if I personally could have gotten myself together, there was no way we could go around it because of the terrain and shape of the trail. We tried to hike up to the crest line and scrambled up an incline to see if somehow we had completely missed the boat or markings as to this trail, but found nothing and felt defeated enough to turn around and get out after only 1 mile. This has never happened to me before, not only have I never encountered a snake of this type or size, but I have never felt so lost by the lack of marking or indication as to where a trail was or should have been. HELP?! Id only go back here (as it was beautiful) if someone showed me the way, and I don't mind the technicality of the hike, but not knowing where to go or even where to head although I had the tracker and seemed right on top of other hikers' trails was too dangerous, not to mention the wildlife and lack of any help should we have been bitten.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Such a beautiful waterfall in gorgeous Richland Creek! There is a well beaten down trail to it and Richland Falls. Lots of ups and downs in the valleys but not a difficult hike. I will be going back in the fall!

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

loved this hike with a beautiful area to swim

Tuesday, March 01, 2016

Great area to hike. The trail going back to Twin Falls was fairly easy to see. Occasionally it would vanish along the creek bed. I crossed to creeks that were thigh deep and the water was moving quickly. I also hiked up to the Sandstone Castles above Twin Falls....it's about 1000' of elevation gain over 1 mile to the Sandstone Caves.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

This is one of my favorite Arkansas Waterfalls! We hiked in from the Richland Creek NF Campground and it took us about 7 hours to make the loop from the camp to Richland Falls, Twin Falls, and back (including a significant amount of time for swimming breaks). This trail is not for inexperienced hikers.