Twin Falls Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Witts Springs, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length5.1 miElevation gain449 ftRoute typeOut & back
Dogs on leashCampingHikingNature tripsRunningForestRiverViewsWaterfallWildflowersWildlifeBlowdownOver grownRockyScramble
Description
Waypoints (6)
Facilities
Contact
Getting There

Twin Falls Trail via Richland Creek Wilderness NF Campground partially requires a bushwhack and requires two river crossings while following Richland creek and climbing bluffs. A short side trail leads to Richland Falls. The whole area is very scenic. The twin falls are 17' and 19' tall that occur where two creeks merge into one. Richland Falls which is a side trail, is only 6' tall but is one hundred ft. wide. The trail is rugged and quite faint at times. It is not recommended for beginners. Care must be exercised at the water crossings. The twin falls are fed by wet weather creeks and are best seen in the fall and spring seasons.

For fee, primitive national forest campground (Richland Creek Campground) is located at the trail head. There are picnic tables, primitive campsites w/fire rings. Pit toilet. NO POTABLE WATER AVAILABLE Backpack camping is allowed in the wilderness. A couple of unofficial established backpack camps are found along the trail.

Ozark National Forest Buffalo Ranger District, Jasper, AR 72641. PHONE: (870) 446-5122

Pelsor, Ark. (intersection of 7 hwy & 16 hwy) travel east on hwy 16 to Ben Hur (literally a road sign and a country church is the town) travel 1 mile past Ben Hur to the first gravel road to the left, NF road 1205/Falling water road, and travel 9.4 miles to campground on your left, just before you cross low water bridge at Richland Creek.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (171)
Photos (348)
Activities (111)
Completed (414)
Lowell Collins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 5, 2021
Hiking

A beautiful hike along the turquoise waters of Richland Creek. The trail is very well defined but challenging with logs to step over and rocky areas to traverse. It is one of the most scenic and rugged trails in Arkansas. The trail head is just below the campground. You immediately across falling water creek and currently there are logs and rocks to help you with that crossing. 2 miles up the trail you have to cross Richland Creek and that required wading knee-deep water. At Richland Creek you can proceed south to Richland Falls.Continue right after you cross Richland Creek to enter the canyon with the Twin Falls of the Devils Fork. Challenging but well worth the effort. It is not a trail to rush through take your time and enjoy the beauty. Leave no trace.

View Lowell's activity
Gez Rogers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 28, 2021
Hiking

A great track that you can break down into shorter segments. The hike to Twin is on the moderate side, loosely following a volunteer / horse trail. GPS app is recommended, this trail can be easy to loose in places. The short hike to Mystic from Twin is fairly easy. The trip up to Long Devil's Falls is a much harder bushwhack in places. The segment between Twin and Richland Falls is easy. Here's a clip of the whole hike: https://youtu.be/pIwh-nq6Ca0

View Gez's activity
lacey wallace
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 24, 2021
Hiking

water to high to cross right now, but beautiful other than that! would suggest going to right of the campground and over the bridge. there is a trailhead to the left a little ways after the bridge!

View lacey 's activity
Molly Weyhmeller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 20, 2021
Hiking

Great hike! Two river crossings that are pretty deep. Bring a change of shoes!

View Molly's activity
Tånya Reddin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 13, 2021
Hiking

It was quite muddy and slick, but the falls were really flowing

View Tånya's activity
Jeffrey Kropf
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 2, 2021
HikingRocky
View Jeffrey's activity
David Sevier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 23, 2021
View David's activity
Ryan Porter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 30, 2020
HikingFloodedOff trailRocky

I did this trail twice in two days. The first day I did not complete the whole thing. It had been raining the day before I got there, and as a non-pro member I wasn't able to download the map. So I walked and crossed and crossed and walked and after a few hours came to the the point where the Richland creek and long devils fork came together. Not being able to find a place to cross at this point got the best of me and I decided to hike back. I started at 8 am and got back around 1 pm figured I had gone far enough. Packed up camp and rolled a fat joint for the ride out. About the time that joint kicked in I decided that what happened wasn’t the way I wanted it to go down. I read a couple reviews with similar experiences so I decided I didn’t drive all this way to not see what I came to see. Note* it was raining for two solid days and there are flash flood warnings posted all over the campsite. So I drove back down after writing down some gps coordinates and taking pictures of them on my apple map, I headed back to the campsite. Took a couple wrong turns and made it down to camp around 6:30pm. The bridge I crossed coming up to camp the day before was about 8’ to the river bed. When I crossed it that night the water was flowing up onto the bridge. I figured if the water came that fast that it would leave that fast so decided to camp the night and hike it in the morning. Got up around 6 am and packed a lunch and set out for the trail. There was no riverbed and the tree I used to cross the first time was over ten feet out into the river because of the elevated water levels. So, I sat there thinking about waiting another day and letting the waters recede but decided fuck that. I crossed the bridge that I came in on and walked the north side of the river. This was not as easy of a hike but it only required me to cross one time. There are small game trails that meander along the northern bank starting from the campsite at the top of the dirt road coming into camp. I walked the 2.5/3 miles down the Richland creek to the long devils fork about a half mile down and a half mile away from the twin falls there was a down tree that bridged both shores. I crossed at this point and easily made it to the twin falls which where pouring! From there the Richland falls was very easy to get to but because of the elevated water levels really dwarfed the falls. All in all I would recommend this trail because it was really beautiful and the falls where really really lovely. The only thing that pissed me off was after getting back to a reception area was that if I hiked one more mile I would have hit Hamilton falls which was not mentioned at all in the trail guide.

Jared Hornberger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 17, 2020
View Jared's activity
Raquel Cumberford
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 16, 2020
View Raquel's activity
Katie Stallard
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 2, 2020
Nature tripsOver grownRocky

Couldn’t find the rest of the trail, due to poor markings/lack of signs where on earth the trail could possibly be/what in the Hell you call this a trail/serious overgrowth/eroded parts of the trail crumbled over a cliff? I found some smaller falls (3’-5’ tall) along the creek’s edge at a couple of spots but nothing that looked anything at all like what the Twin Falls photographs looked like, and a bunch of areas that looked like paths made by bears or deer (not humans). By the set of three short waterfalls there was a spot on a big rock, behind a tall rock, that had a bunch of white powder on the rock like someone had accidentally dropped a five pound bag of flour or a bag of powdered sugar. need a local guide to show you where Twin Falls are. I got lost in the woods and there wasn’t any cell phone reception out there, so my parents called Search and Rescue to find me because they couldn’t figure out where I was.

Miguel Velazquez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 27, 2020
HikingBugsRocky

I would recommend this trail for people who are looking for a dog friendly adventure. The trail is mostly wooded with plenty of shade and open vistas. Even know the path is somewhat clear, there are not many markings or signs that would lead to where the falls are. So I will definitely recommend downloading the map just so you do not get lost. Overall; it’s a wonderful experience.

View Miguel's activity
Logan Seeley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 8, 2020
View Logan's activity
Indie Brassingram
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 25, 2020
Hiking

Awesome trail. We followed the advice of a preset employee who said to use the orange flags for directions down the trail. We ended up on the opposite bank and going a super wacky way. Ended up linking up to the all trails path and was all good. Definitely don’t do as we did. Just follow this route :)

View Indie's activity
Cheryl Walker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 9, 2020
HikingBlowdownBugsOver grownRockyScramble

Cons: This was a long and difficult trail for me. My husband & I have both done quite a bit of hiking over the years, but I would rate this trail as one of the hardest we've done due to overgrowth, trail not clearly marked, scrambling, and length. It really is not well marked--it starts out with some vague markings on trees, but those seem to fade away soon, and then you just have to decipher where it looks like people have hiked. Lots of rocky areas and trial and error (which way to go). Be careful of 2 or 3 narrow ledges along the way, it is a steep drop-off below them. Pros: The creek is beautiful along the way, and there are lots of places you could get out and wade/swim in super clear water. Once you make it to the end, the falls are beautiful and it is fun to wade around in the pool at the end and walk behind the falls. You can picnic and spend a while there to rest. We actually wanted to do this trail in the fall because the leaves are stunning down there, but the creek was so high at the time, it did not seem feasible to cross it. We came back during summer, and obviously the falls are not going to be running as hard then, but it was still pretty. I think after heavy rainfall, this would be pretty difficult though to make crossings.

Maranda Fay
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 9, 2020
HikingOff trailOver grownScramble

The falls are incredible! Well worth the scrambling to get there. We had an issue with finding the trailhead, and actually entered up near the marked trailhead you find on google maps. That trail has flagging from the road, and nearly the entire way to the falls. A lot of poison ivy in the area, so I’d be mindful of that if you’re allergic. I’d suggest bringing plenty of water and a snack or two, as the hike is fairly long and physically demanding. The water is still flowing right now, and definitely worth the hike in my opinion. We had the spot all to ourselves for quite a while.

Lewis Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2020
WalkingOff trailOver grownRockyScramble

The first thing anyone planning to do this hike should know is that the trail is very overgrown and not very well maintained. Even from the campground it is unclear where the trail begins, and it’s very easy to lose the trail again once you’re on it and it intersects with the dried creek bed, which it does several times. This is not a hike for inexperienced hikers uncomfortable with a bit of bushwacking (we even encountered a very experienced couple at the campground who had given up on the hike after following the creek bed half a mile in and never finding the trail). All that said, the destination was beautiful, with one ~100 foot wide, ~6 foot tall waterfall in one area, and a pair of the twin ~30 foot tall waterfalls at the final stop. All along the way there are pristine swimming holes created by the slowly meandering creek which the trail follows to the left of the whole way. One other thing to note is the distance: it’s listed on the AllTrails app as 5 miles, but that is probably if you go directly to the twin falls on the trail the whole way. If you cut up to Richland Falls (which you should) expect to add about a mile in and out to see it. Our total distance traveled was 7 miles, which we did in about 3.5 hours with a stop for lunch and a swim at the twin falls.

View Lewis's activity