Tea Kettle Falls Trail

Tea Kettle Falls Trail is a 2.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Huntsville, Arkansas that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

The waterfall is a unique 46 ft. tall waterfall that has eroded a vertical hole in the rock bluff and then turned horizontally, creating a small cave, before emerging through the rock face below the top of the ridge. Thus the name Tea Kettle Falls. Best seen during spring or late fall when there is more chance of rain. Because this trail is faint, and is more of a bushwack, this is more specific directions to the falls: head across the field to the south side of the creek, follow the creek down hill, at about one mile you will see the first drainage (Reynolds Hollow) on your left, (there is a nice little waterfall a short distance up stream), continue past Reynolds Hollow to the next drainage, (you should be able to hear the falls if the water is up), turn left, cross the creek, and head up the drainage about 100 yds to the falls. Return the way you came.

Let me just start off by saying, the drive in is meant for people who have SUVs or trucks. We took my fiancé’s Camry and we almost got stuck. The drive down wasn’t too bad, but the drive back up the steep hill everyone mentions was rough. We got stuck about halfway up, started spinning out, so we had to back all the way back down. Luckily a guy with a tractor was coming through and dragged the road ahead of us so we could get some traction to get back up.

As far as the trail, we went early March of 2017, and it was kind of hard to find the trail head. There were some people making their way out when we got there, so we got lucky again. Once you make you way in, it opens up some. You come across a few four wheeler trails along the way. Crossing the creek was rough for us, since we were trying to keep our shoes dry and we didn’t have another pair, or any waterproof shoes. We walked barefoot across the creeks which hurt like a SOB on those rocks. Make sure you bring another pair of shoes to cross.

We made it about halfway through the trail, having crossed the creek about three times at this point. After talking to a few people who were on their way out, we decided to turn around. They all said the falls were dried up, and you have to cross the creek another 3-4 times. They also said it’s not that great compared to some of the other things you can see around the area. Tanyard loop is one of them, definitely worth the drive.

Not a terrible place if you’re trying to find something to do in the area. It’s pretty in most areas, and it’s not that difficult if you come prepared.

Really nice trail! Not too overgrown when we went. It was not crowded at all and it was fun to take the dogs and let them run through the creek. Great little hike!

Pretty well marked. Had to come from the south side because county road was fenced off from the north.

First off this is down a very steep mile dirt road. Vehicles that are low to the ground are gonna have trouble. Trail is nice this time of year with no overgrowth yet but you can tell when it gets warmer there will be tons of spiders and snakes. Water was up today and there are several places you need to cross. Bring water shoes or shoes you do not mind getting wet. Falls we’re not really great as there was just a small stream of water but it’s still beautiful. Nice hike to start off the spring season.

WHEN TO GO: Let me save you some time and tell you not to bother with this trail in the Summer. If the creek isn't flowing, there'll be no waterfalls to see, and, moreover, trying to find the trail when the vegetation is full-on will frustrate and confound you.

WHY IT"S GREAT: That said, once the Spring rains start falling, get ready to go see this one! We went this past weekend, and it was amazing. The trail, even now in February, is a bit sketchy, and requires lots of creek crossings - gets a bit chilly, but Tea Kettle Falls is definitely worth your efforts. You'll have the opportunity to see lots of other little Falls along the way, including Reynolds. The creek is gorgeous. I expected it to be churned up and muddy from all the rain, but it was clear and beautiful.

SEE ALSO: If you have time, also follow the road that takes you up to the top of the falls. The road curves around a bit and takes you longer than you might want to spend. There's a short cut, marked by trail signs, but it's a bit of a bushwhack, and you may be happier going the long way. Whichever way you go, it's worth your time. Seeing the water rush through the carved out rock just makes the whole experience better. There are PDF maps on the WMA's site, and you can see the road on there. The other waterfalls in the area are also marked on the map, so you could make a day of it.

GETTING THERE & TRAILHEAD: Regarding the road - it's fine. One of the better "back roads" in AR, so much so that I wouldn't even call it a "back road." It is a bit steep at one point, but anyone with a reasonable vehicle can manage it. As for finding the trailhead, it's not a problem right now, people have pretty much beaten a path to it. Check the satellite view on Google Maps before you go - you'll see it on there, no trouble.

I can't rate the "trail" as I walked the dried up creek bed. (9/17/17). I was thankful for that as the trail is pretty overgrown (as most of the reviews state). Here were a few pockets of water, looked to be spring fed and beautiful water. Lots of armadillos

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Just did this hike. We followed Jen York's directions below and it was spot on. Don't follow the directions from the app. Follow the creekbed vs the trail. Be prepared to get wet up to the chins / knees depending on when you go. Reynolds Falls was flowing but Kettle Falls wasn't. Still well worth it though.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

We walked in the creek bed the entire time. Trail is very overgrown. Reynolds Falls is first, then walk about the same distance farther up the creek to find Tea Kettle Falls. You will leave the main Creek bed and follow a tributary into the Hollow (on the left). Beautiful place, but not much water today. Will definitely go back again.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Rough drive getting there. Glad I have a full size truck. After some searching, found the trail but it was too overgrown for me to go on with two 10 year old kids. But had a great time exploring up and down in the creek. I would consider trying again someday.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Drive here yesterday with my wife and dogs and Holy crap the drive itself was treacherous. it started as a dirt and gravel road. Then the rocks got a lot bigger and the road a heck of s lot steeper with washout areas and deep ruts. Once you start down you cannot turn around until the bottom and the way down is hair raising.

We finally made it to the spot, an open green field next to a stream and there were no paths at all. Not even an animal path. We searched around and only found a road with water running over it.

So we called it another bust and headed back up the scary climb. if we didn't have an all wheel drive SUV we probably would have gotten stuck.

DO NOT TRY WITHOUT LOTS OF GROUND CLEARANCE AND ALL-WHEEL DRIVE/FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE!!!

Unless someone forgot to maintain it, this is definitely not a trail. Don't waste your time.

Saturday, February 11, 2017

The trail head was a little hard to find. There is no marked parking lot. It is on a turn right before you cross the creek bed. The trail was great for taking my dogs. I walked up the creek bed the majority of the way and explored a couple of the creeks running into the main stream. The large waterfall was not running as I expected at this time of year. The smaller waterfall is a great place for photographers.
I look forward to going back when the large waterfall is running.

My dogs highly recommend this hike!

Monday, February 06, 2017

Although the trail head was vague, the trail is easily visible and there are a few orange/pink surveyor tapes in the trees marking the general direction. If you lose the trail just follow the creek bed and the trail will come back eventually. An excellent adventure.

Friday, December 30, 2016

gorgeous Creek crystal clear water beautiful waterfall. well worth it will be back!

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Tea Kettle Falls is more unique than the more popular Glory Hole Falls. Beat to go in winter or early spring when the ground is saturated.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Great hike, especially if you take the jeep road route that takes you to the top of the falls. Couldn't get down to the bottom tho. Water wasn't flowing but it still made for unique sights on the falls. Is tricky to find, just have to pay attention to signs on the way up. Going back through the bushwhack trail when it rains more.

Monday, April 11, 2016

Beautiful hike but a little tricky to find.

Apple maps will take you to the wrong place, however Google maps will get you right there.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Easy hike with a bunch of water features including multiple waterfalls and springs. You must go after it rains. Tea Kettle Falls will dry up and stop running during periods of little rain. There was a well traveled trail when I went late winter. You can also follow the creek about 1 mile to the waterfall on the left. You know you're getting close when you come across a rock bluff that covers the creek some.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Definitely was a nice little hike. Very pretty, especially the crystal clear water!!!! Finding the Falls was kinda tricky but just follow the creek. Tea Kettle Falls just had a little trickle of water coming out, but Reynolds Falls was flowing nicely! I would do this trail again if I for sure knew that Tea Kettle was flowing. None the less it made for a nice day adventure! Jen York's post was super helpful.

Sunday, November 22, 2015

It was pretty but we could find the trail so we were not able to find the water fall. nothing mark and it is way over grown. would be easy to get lost. We won't go again which is sad.

Thursday, June 25, 2015

The road to the trail is quite difficult to find but if you follow Jen York's(her review is below) directions you will find it with no problem. The road is very steep but manageable in a car. We just walked the creek rather than looking for a true trail. The water is crystal clear and beautiful. We found Reynolds Falls and it was beautiful with a pretty pool below it. You have to pay attention to be able to find the Reynolds Falls (again Jen York's review will guide you). Loved it!

Sunday, May 31, 2015

My brother and I did this hike yesterday. We walked up the creek in order to stay off the trail where we were picking up ticks like crazy. If you decide to walk the creek, prepare to get wet. It was shin deep most of the way with some areas getting knee and almost waist deep. It was worth it though, with us finally seeing Tea Kettle Falls in its full glory! Reynold's Falls was flowing with some authority as well.

Friday, May 15, 2015

Trail is horribly overgrown I suggest taking the creek but you will get wet, very very wet. Awesome area as long as you avoid the trail option, this year the trail should not be an option at all. Found remnants of a deer kill that was mostly eaten but some meat left on the leg bones. Beautiful crystal clear water but high during rainy season. Difficult is an understatement but well worth hiking again with or without the falls.

Thursday, May 14, 2015

The directions from All Trails took me right to the field that I needed to park in. I have signed up for buffalo river water levels through usgs.gov and it had a level of 12.08 ft. That was the news I was waiting for, all the waterfalls in the area were flowing great. I walked right by it like a lot of others, I turned around disappointed, and then I found it. I'm glad I did! The pictures I uploaded were of the falls and the bluffs right before the falls, 90 and 91. One more thing, walking through the creek was by far the best option. Where I got out to walk around fast flowing areas is where I needed to be on the other side to go to both falls, and I was chewed up by the stinging nettle and thorn vines everytime I was out of the water.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Beautiful day for a hike! We walked the creek bed because a couple guys who had just walked the trail told us that the ticks were out and biting. Reynolds Falls was flowing but we never found Tea Kettle Falls because we didn't know exactly where it was. When we got home I opened Google Earth and found where we made our mistake. We apparently walked right past the little turn off to the north that would have led us right there. Instead, we came to a fork in the creek and followed it for another quarter mile until we realized we weren't going to find it. I have uploaded a map that I made using Google Earth to hopefully make this find easier for others!

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Walked this trail again today with my brother. Great hike like always. Was hoping Tea Kettle Falls was flowing today after the rain. Unfortunately, it wasn't. Try again another time!

Saturday, April 25, 2015

I have been hiking to Kettle Falls for 40 years and live in the area. The falls are known as Kettle Falls, not Tea Kettle Falls. The Kettle family settled the area in the 19th Century. It is important to get the name right to maintain credibility.

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Just finished hiking this trail and unfortunately Tea Kettle Falls is not flowing right now. It was barely dripping but Reynold's Falls was flowing. This is a great trail if you enjoy hiking along a creek and without any markers. I chose to stay on the creek rather than on the bank because of all the overgrowth. The worst part about this trail is trying to find it to begin with. I ended up at an old man's house while he was mowing and quickly realized my GPS had taken me to the wrong spot. I used Zach Ziler's coordinates and they are dead on the money but the problem was that the road that leads to it is not registered in most GPS units so it takes you to the wrong place. Luckily I had printed out the topo and was able to locate it that way. Jen York's review has a pretty good description as to how to find it and you will probably need a map as well.

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Hiked this trail again just a little over a year later and we finally caught the falls during high water! Last year Tea Kettle Falls was bone dry, but the creek was full and the falls were amazing this time...actually, even besides the other larger waterfall along the trail called Reynolds Falls, there were little falls and cascades everywhere! It was an amazing hike even though we got totally soaked. That's the only bad part about the creek being high. You do have to cross a few times no matter what, but you can easily manage to stay dry when its low. No chance of that when its high lol.

Sunday, February 08, 2015

I followed Jen York's directions finding it........ they were RIGHT ON. I had searched for this trail before, and was finally succesful today after printing out her directions and following them.
Wear shoes you don't mind getting wet and when the trail hits the creek, just follow the creek. DO NOT follow the ATV trail that crosses the creek about halfway through, it is NOT part of the hike. Follow the creek.
Teakettle wasn't running today, but the bluff formation is beautiful and worth the hike. And Reynolds Falls was running and gorgeous.
This was a great hike, and I'm thinking it's a great one to do in the fall/winter when the leaves are gone so that you can see the bluffs and everything.

Monday, October 20, 2014

Finding this place was a challenge even with researching before hand. To clarify, the road you need is off highway 23 exactly 6.5 miles north of forum and 1.4 miles south exactly from highway 12. It's on the right going north and on the left if you're going south (east). There is an UNMARKED gravel road and a shed next to it so it almost looks like a driveway. It's not. As soon as you turn in, the sign is on the left. This is the right road. Forget what someone else said about the sign being wrong. They were wrong. You will see a pasture on the right and woods on left at first. Eventually, you go downhill pretty steeply and the parking is the grass area to right at the bottom. You will see the creek in front and it's 1.3-1.4 miles after turning off highway 23.

The trail head is at the back middle of this field opposite way of the road. Literally in the middle back. It's not marked. Walk through the field to get there. It's rough and quite overgrown. I actually walked the creek once the trail got to it. Water is so clear and gorgeous! I honestly could not see a trail really hence water shoes and temps above 60 are almost necessary. Better than bushwhacking anyway. Without water. This trail would really not be worth the trip. Even after 11 inches of rain, the highest it got on me was to my knees. Reynolds falls was flowing very well. It's off to the left on the way in about half way.

The actual kettle falls was not running after all this heavy rain. Still a neat formation and hollow. I passed it! You will pass 30-40 foot bluffs on the left with the creek running next to them. The hollow is to the left after these shortly.