Fall Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only €14.99
Get Started

Sunset Trail: Sugarloaf Mountain Section

Sunset Trail: Sugarloaf Mountain Section is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from October until April.

Distance: 2.9 miles Elevation Gain: 603 feet Route Type: Point to Point

Pros: solitude for the most part on a weekday in April, clearly marked aside from no sign at the start of the section for Balanced Rock Cons: not the prettiest of trails in general, more steep sections than I anticipated, views weren’t very wide/expansive (trees in way), 2 dogs followed us and other hikers at times and it wasn’t clear if they were strays or not As a person visiting the area because of the national park, I much preferred my hikes of Gulpha Gorge and Goat Rock the day before... prettier trail and views.

Really good hike! Balance Rock was worth the walk!

If you're going to balanced rock from the Blacksnake road parking lot, be sure to begin your hike heading North. The Sunset Trail passes through this parking area so you want to make sure you choose the right direction if you're taking this shortcut. This part of the trail is across the street from the parking area

Monday, September 17, 2018

Beautiful hike. There are very view over looking points. Several deer

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

I started my run at 7am at the midpoint of the trail. There was a small parking lot (needed to be cleaned up...lots of trash) There was another car in the parking lot but I never saw anyone on the trail. It was an overcast day in July. Lots of rocks which made running tricky. There were a few really nice strips that you could run without fear of tripping or twisting anything. Very glad I brought trail shoes. I’m a flatlander so the elevation had me reduced to hiking a few times. Which is ok bc I was able to notice a turtle and a deer on the trail.

Saturday, September 01, 2018