Sunset Trail is a 13 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas that features hot springs and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 13.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,372 feet Route Type: Loop

hot springs

very nice, take water with you.

Did the whole loop last week and the trail was pretty clean. It took about 7 hours including a lunch break. There’s about two outlooks on the whole loop. It was a good workout but it was kinda disappointing not having an outlook at the peak of the mountain. Saw a pair of friendly goats which was kinda cool.

Nice, well maintained trail with elevation gain we haven't found much elsewhere in AR. There weren't many breathtaking vistas, or even rest spots (we ended up just walking and eating our lunch) but if you want a loop with some distance, this is a great option. Bonus for starting and stopping a block from a brewery

The Sunset Trail is the best way to explore Hot Springs National Park (which is the smallest National Park), as it goes all the way around it. We only saw 3 other persons on the trail, which took us 6 hours to hike including several photos breaks

The trail was great but we come to our from a side trail vs. the trail head and it ended up made the distance much longer. All in all a good, challenging home.

I hiked the full loop in August with my wife and my 3 month old daughter. Not very many views. Make sure to bring all the water you're going to need! except for 1 lake, you're never going to see water again on this trail. It was a very good work out. We completed it in just over 8 hours.

Took me about 4.5 hours with only a couple of small breaks. I started from the park hotel and did the loop. didn't have trouble staying on track, except for the communication tower portion on West mountain - I went left, but just kept following the path and eventually got back on track. make sure you track yourself along the trail map!

I walked the whole trail. Towards the end it’s a little beaten off path. You go threw downtown hot springs. Took us 6 hours to complete the hole hike. Overall a good trail. Beautiful scenery.

We enjoyed the hike with our two kids on a crisp and sunny December day. Very nice hike with some interesting features along the way and great views of Hot Springs towards the end.

Just under 12 miles; 5 hours and 50 minutes. Beautiful weather today—and we followed the trail here on AllTrails accurately the whole way. Beautiful hike—would highly recommend!!!

Great hike. Steep incline at first. Levels out.

Did the trail counter clockwise and the markings were ok, but not the greatest. Doing it this direction gets the hard climbing out of the way somewhat early and the last 3 miles are a lot better than the first three. There are a couple good outlooks where the trail intersects the road, but no hot springs on the trail, or if there were they must have been hidden well. the later part of this loop is a combination of a lot of different trails so bring a map or a phone to reference. I ran most of it and hiked the steep stuff, it's a good solid workout!!

loved it. wish I good have done more. it was hot and my dog was worn out.

A great hike, lots of loose rocks on the west mountain. But the opposite side the trail was flat and easy to walk. The sunset trail was not easy to identify at many points as signs were missing, partially gone or all together confusing were to go. There's a point where you can take fork either way... highly suggest the less traveled, rustic path, better scenery and views plus the path is more of a hike then the flat manicured path.

Plenty of ticks on this trail. A couple of areas had steep climbs on loose rocks, but not too difficult. Some cutout areas would be nice, so the views could be enjoyed. The trail markers are hard to see sometimes and starting out on Central Ave can be a little confusing as the trail isn’t easily identified. Great trail for a long walk.

Trail is very challenging and hard on the feet due to trails are heavily covered in rocks. Difficult to follow where to pick it up when you cross downtown. All in all, very good hick bit would have liked to have more our cropping to see view.

I would recommend this trail. It is basically just a walk in the park. How it got its rating is a mystery to me. It is so easy that all but the couple of climbs are runable. I ran it counter clockwise from the national camp ground it seemed easier to follow that direction. A few bothersome sections and I picked up a couple of ticks. I was told that it was a bad year for ticks. Probably my fault for going into the grass to take some pictures. I refilled my water in the free community spring water station leaving town. That made it easy so I only needed to carry my one bottle. The locals still seem to run it clockwise, or at least I was never passed, nor did I catch anyone going counter clockwise.

Mon May 20 2019

Lots of steep hills, not great views, and a lot of things aren’t marked, but pretty good in general. I didn’t see anyone else on the trails at all.

Sun Mar 24 2019

Challenging trail located conveniently within downtown Hot Springs. Trail is well kept and decently trafficked.

Wed Mar 20 2019

There is no way this loop is rated as “hard”. It is a long but easy trail. Scenery is decent, not amazing. Trail over lap a lot with roads. Very close to downtown. I have to say this map is very helpful!

Sun Jan 06 2019

Great trail. Easy to follow. But there are no good views.

Wed Dec 26 2018

Only things taking away from our journey were a lack of views and a lack of guidance. There are areas in the Southeast portion of the trail where various other trails overlap and if you're not careful you can easily lose your way. We made a wrong turn that added about a mile to our trek but were able to correct ourselves in downtown Hot Springs. Mentally a great accomplishment to complete this trail.

Mon Dec 17 2018

Super nice hike from bathhouse row up to sunset trail and back. Very peaceful once you are on the opposite ridge...no more city noise. Some fantastic grades...nice and long too! Could get in some nice running on some sections. Lunched perched on Balance Rock...clear and bright sky, perfect temp, nice wind.....very cathartic. It’s a great way to spend a relaxing day on the trail and be back to the hotel for dinner!

Sun Nov 18 2018

This was a great trail and we accomplished it in 5 hours. Definitely needs a crosswalk at the intersection of park ave and highway 7