Sugarloaf Mountain Summit Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(89)
Sugarloaf Mountain Trails

Sugarloaf Mountain Summit Trail is a 0.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Heber Springs, Arkansas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.8 miles Elevation Gain: 321 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

This is the out-and-back Summit trail that goes to the top of Sugarloaf Mountain. There are other trails in this area including the Tonawanda trail.

Beautiful view! Worth the small hike. Kind of steep uphill path though

Several great trail options. All well maintained and marked.

Nice trail and great view at the top! Getting to the very top was a bit challenging but right beneath the top is a beautiful lookout as well! My first time in Arkansas and I enjoyed the hike. We took our dog up as well (she couldn’t get all the way on top though)

This place was closed when we went. We drove 2 hrs and decided to hike up anyways. Parked on the outside of gate. There is a sliver in the rock that you can take in the middle to get to the very top. It is a rock scramble and can be intimidating, but the view is worth it! Take your time and notice the natural “steps” in the sides of the rock that you can use to climb up! There’s an awesome hammok spot for 3 at the top to the right! I would not recommend taking small children to the very top. When we came back down there was a police offer walking up getting ready to tow a truck that went around the gate. We went to Bridal Veil Falls up the road after!

Steeper than expected. Great views. My teenagers loved the rock climbing.

I took my kids ages 8, 10, 11, 13, and 15 on this trail. I love the diversity if having to use a boat to access it. we camped out to it, hiked it, then camped all around the island before headed back. My kids had a blast! Keep an eye open for deer and armadillos.

Not for the faint of heart it’s a hard climb up oh but the views

Very steep so don’t go after a rain. But the view up top is well worth the effort! Very shady and clearly marked. Would go again!

Great short trail!! A very shady walk through the forrest takes you to the very abrupt and steep summit. You can wonder around the top and look at all the gorgeous views. Would definitely recommend!!

one of the best short summit trails i have ever done. if i back in this area i will come back.

The trek to the summit is not for the meek and mild. I’m 61 years old, but I really enjoyed this trail. If you don’t bushwhack to the pinnacle, then you don’t get the real fun with this trail. I slithered up a 2-3’ crevice for ~200’+ reach the summit. Loved it!

We took the Tonowanda to the right at the trails entrance, then hiked from end to beginning the Summit trail for a more difficult hike. It was awesome! The view from the summit is amazing. There weren’t many people on the trail. Well maintained.

Sun May 12 2019

I would say the Summit Trail, leading up to the very bottom of the Summit is a relatively easy hike, as my two toddler aged children were able to hike it without much effort or too much help. I was not able to make it to the very top, as that part is not child friendly and requires rock climbing. The trail today was a bit muddy from the previous rainy days, but all was well with the weather being nice and mosquitoes weren't biting. I hope to go again and make it up to the top viewpoint and also hike the other trails on Sugar Loaf. This is definitely a five star rating, because the rock formations are a great surprise, once you make it to the end and the hiking is easy enough for a child to do.

Fri May 10 2019

Historic landmark, dramatic rocky crown, good exercise 15% slope for half-mile climb.

Sat May 04 2019

Nice trail to the Summit of Sugar Loaf Mountain. Well worth the effort.

Tue Apr 30 2019

I liked this trail. It’s super steep and if you have a dog with you, I’m not sure how you get to the top. I saw some people coming down from the top but they said there was no way I was getting a dog up there. Next time I’ll have to leave my pooch at home and climb to the top!

Sun Apr 21 2019

rock climbing
Sun Mar 24 2019

rappelling down sheer and overhang. rock climb to top and trail hike to top. beautiful views.

Wed Mar 20 2019

Really worth the effort to get to the top ... or in my case as close as you can SAFELY get by yourself! I was packing in with a dog who needed assistance on the terrain (a lot of lifting on my part) we got to about 20-30 feet from the top and couldn't figure out how to get there. Next time I will try a different approach. The rock climbing part is not for the faint of heart. There is no real clearly marked path like at Pinnacle for example....People with small children should really use extra caution.

Fri Mar 15 2019

if you are brave, fit, and have basic common sense go up sugar loaf... it's worth it 100%

Sun Feb 24 2019

Kids were too small to summit. Quit trail up.

Sat Jan 26 2019

Quick and moderately easy. Nice access from the main highway which is close to downtown. Convenient and nice to get a quick hike in.

Sat Nov 03 2018

Unless there’s some secret passage that we missed, there’s no way this can be done with a dog. Scenery was still decent, but we didn’t get to the very top because I had my dog.

Sat Jul 28 2018

Summit trail is relatively short, like 2/3 a mile to the top. It’s mostly dirt and gravel, a little steep but not bad. The very top has some moderate climbing, I followed one of the crevices to the top, beautiful view. I recommend the first crevice to the left once you’re at the top. There are others to the right, but they are harder to climb.

Tue Jul 10 2018

Awesome

Tue Jul 03 2018

Good steep climb and beautiful views at the top. Hiked the trail about 6:15 AM before it got too hot. I'll definitely be back for another hike.

Sat Jun 30 2018

Beautiful at the summit.

Wed Dec 13 2017

It is pretty challenging free climb but then noticed a really easy path after I was at the top

Wed Nov 29 2017

Great little trail....climbing around and exploring the boulders at the Summit is pretty cool. The views from the top are beautiful.