Sugar Loaf Mountain Nature Trail

Sugar Loaf Mountain Nature Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Higden, Arkansas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, birding, and canoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 646 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

Directions from Heber Springs: This trail is located on an island in Greers Ferry Lake. It is accessible by boat from State 337 at Sugarloaf Recreation Area on the south and Ark. 330 at Van Buren Recreation Area on the north.

excellent short hike with amazing views from the top.

This trail is really pretty awesome ... I took a pontoon shuttle from the Fairfield Marina to the dock at the base of Sugar Loaf Mountain (Island). The hike was mostly vertical. I hiked all the way to the Mule Trail ... don’t let the many steps dissuade you from taking this in. The views from the end of the Mule Trail are spectacular. This trail is way underestimated in my opinion.

A deer met our shuttle boat on the dock when we arrived! Had never seen that before. it was very tame and followed is a ways down the trail. We only did the Mule trail to the end of the trail on the summit. Took us 1.5 hours to hike the 2 mile out and back trail. LOTS of stairs and climbing up. Wish we had brought our trekking poles to save our knees but was grateful that someone else had left natural hiking sticks at the trail head. Beautiful views of lake from top. Good workout. Nicely shaded nearly the whole time.

Great trail. We did the mule trail and really enjoyed it. Beautiful panoramic views! There were a lot of stairs but it was not too bad if you veered off a bit instead. The shuttle to the island was awesome. The harbor master pointed out a bunch of stuff for us and was very friendly.

Nice trail. Pretty good incline to make in 45-60 minutes and then back down in two hours for the boat to come back. Enjoyable view for sure! I’d do it again.

Great place to hike. Very easy to stay on the trail. Went in January and with little to know leaves in the trees, you could see the water the whole way up. So beautiful.

A decent hike, not much to see. It’s a very manicured setting, so no ticks to worry about, but also little to no wildlife to see. If you’re in decent shape this is not moderate, this is an easy trail/nature walk.

Tuesday, August 07, 2018

. Strenuous uphill hike. Nice view at the top.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

fairly strenuous hike. when starting at boat dock, go left at first trail junction to get to mule trail, the other end of mule trail (if you go to the right) is closed, not sure why no one else has mentioned this, awesome views from the top

Sunday, April 01, 2018

Fun ferry ride over with the family and great way to spend a couple of hours. Views around the top are worth the hike. Take advantage of restrooms before heading out and pack waters

Thursday, March 15, 2018

pleasant strenuous hike. had a great encounter with eagle at the top. wish I could get the camera working so I had a picture.

Wednesday, December 06, 2017

Great beginner hike!!

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Fun hike!

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

This is a nice moderate hike - great view from rock bluffs on both ends of the island. For a great activity kayak over from Fairfield Bay Marina to dock where trail starts.

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

My 4yr granddaughter Aubrie loved it . Awesome trip to the top !!! Beautiful view so far from any other trips .

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Great hike for beginners. Involves some climbing but worth the view.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Cool little trail. If Coming from the Marina, the dock is on the other side of the island. You'll understand what I mean by that if you make the same mistake I did! Lol

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Great, amazing view once you make it to the top. Something worth trying.

Sunday, June 26, 2016

This was a great kayak and hike. make sure you go all the way to the top and follow the trail all the way to the other end of the mountain to get two great views. It's not an easy trail!

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

I love hiking sugarloaf, it's one of those childhood things that has followed me into adulthood! I would however like to point out that there are two sugarloaf mountains in heber and these photos consist of both of them. They are two different mountains! The one with water in the background is out in the middle of the lake and the one that it shows the crack of is on land. So don't get confused when you get to the top and it looks completely different, lol! Both are exceptional hikes for all ages!

Monday, June 01, 2015

This trail actually consists of two trails, the Mule Trail and the Terrace Trail that meet up. We hiked both trails this time, and this was our second time to do the Mule Trail. Spring is a pretty time to go, but the top of the mountain seems to stay lush in the summer as well. We went on a wet day, but missed the rain while there. The Mule Trail is a very steep, strenuous trail to the top of Sugar Loaf Mountain (which is on an island). It leads up steep staircases built next to the rock to great views of Greers Ferry Lake/Fairfield Bay. The trail goes across the plateau on top to the far end for more views, then you double back. The Terrace Trail circles around midway up the mountain. It goes through the forest with not much view of the water, but the mossy green rocks and clear forest floor make it a lovely hike. This part is easy-moderate with the trail being pretty level the entire way around. To get to the island, you need to either have your own boat or take a shuttle boat from Fairfield Bay Marina (a little pricey unless you have a group).

Friday, April 17, 2015

Wow - such beautiful views of the lake and such a unique setting! You can only get to it by boat - I paddled my kayak from the closest boat launch on the lake to Sugar Loaf Mountain and hiked to the top. Well-maintained trail makes for an easy hike aside from the fairly steep climb on the way up. There are a few benches along the way for those wanting a break. The vistas atop the summit bluffs are just amazing. This is one I will want to do again for sure.

Saturday, January 10, 2015

As a college student, my friends and I make a regular habit of visiting the The top of Sugarloaf to sit talk and watch the sun rise. It is a beautiful place that is close to my heart and definitely worth a visit.Be careful taking young ones up there it can be quite dangerous if you are not paying attention

Monday, March 31, 2014

there is a crevice We used last summer to reach the top, but has since washed in. We still enjoy the hike, and the hidden pond. great family excursion. excellent view from top

Friday, November 02, 2012

Incredible lake views from this island trail. Must have a boat to get to trailhead. Prepare for a hike. Do not go in swimsuit and flip flops. This is a fairly serious hike but is worth the effort. There is a small dock at the trailhead.

Saturday, June 04, 2011

Fun hike, great lake views. Must boat over to trail head. Lots of flora and fauna along the way. Be sure to take water and good shoes, not just wear your bathing suit and flip flops like we did!