Steele Falls Trail

Steele Falls Trail is a 2.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mountain View, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and camping and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Steele Waterfall Trail is a 2.5 mile out and back trail that follows an abandoned forest service road to West Livingston creek, crosses the creek and heads up the ravine to the 60 ft. tall waterfall that is fed by three springs. Steele Waterfall Trail is a 2.5 mile out and back trail that follows an abandoned forest service road to West Livingston creek, cross the creek and follow the single track trail that is stays straight ahead as the road turns left. Waterfall is about 100 yards up the hill

The trail head looks like a closed logging road not a trail head, i didnt know i was on an actual trail until i could hear the waterfall, the trail itself is dismal, unmaintained, and over grown in many sections. As a result i was picking ticks off the entire way. The waterfall itself was decent but not worth the hike

I’m still in shock that I’ve been coming to Gunner Pool my entire life and never knew this amazing spot existed! Yes, the road down to Gunner off 14 is rough, but I remember back to when it was one lane the whole way and would almost knock the tires off a pick up truck! I made the trek today in a 2 wheel drive GMC Acadia and was fine-just take your time. The initial turnoff wasn’t hard to find but the actual trailhead was a little confusing for me because the marker didn’t call it a “horse trail” it said “walk in for turkey hunters”. Anyway, I gave it a shot after noticing the letter A hammered into a tree. The abandoned road was grassy, but nothing major. I used plenty of DEET because I’m living with Lyme disease that I most certainly picked up here in AR-just beware. The creek bed was dry so the first waterfall on the right before the road curves back to the left (Mud Springs) was not flowing-in high water you can hear it and trek off to see an additional falls! After crossing the dry creek bed it got pretty wooly, but still nothing unmanageable. When I finally got to the falls I lost my breath for a moment at the sheer untouched beauty. I literally hit my knees and said a prayer of thanks for such a masterpiece! I can’t to share this 60 foot hidden gem with my daughters!

It was great just a long drive to get to the trailhead.

great trail

Beautiful in the winter, wide well marked path, and nice falls with great climbing rocks. The road getting there was a pain. Rocky, narrow lane, with sliding gravel.

Good family trail. Very wide. We hiked with our two sons 2 1/2yrs and 4yrs. Going to the falls is all down hill but gradual down hill coming out is all up hill. Plenty of places to stop and and take a break if you need to. We hiked at the end of December and there was neat ice formations at the bottom of the falls. Follow the directions of other commenters to get there. The old log road 1140 is clearly marked and there is a place to park. No troubles getting there but it is about 9 miles down a dirt road. We are used to dirt roads and thought the road was manicured very well coming up the Green Mountain Road.

About 10 miles of gravel road getting there but the trail head wasn't too hard to see. Once you get to the gate with the white post reading 1140 it's a visible trail pretty much all the way to the fall. There is a creek crossing a little over a mile in and when you cross it, don't follow the trail to the left, instead look for a little white post straight ahead, this will take you along another creek going straight to the fall which is a couple hundred yards past the creek crossing. The hike was about 2.65 miles total and well worth the trip. Very natural and lightly traveled. We actually saw a wild hog crossing the trail ahead of us. Overall a great trip and I'd go back.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

had flat tire, no marker at trailhead.. poor roads getting there.. pretty views on Gunner Pool Rd.. good reviews on here for Steele Falls but we had to give up going in due to tire issue

Saturday, April 01, 2017

It's quite an adventure getting there. Gunner's Pool Road was memorable. However, the waterfall was totally worth it. Every bit as good as the pictures! Great hike!

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Easy to find using the all trails directions- would have been great after big rain but was still gorgeous!!

Friday, May 27, 2016

this was a good trail I would definitely do it again. getting to the trail is half of the fun. make sure you go in a truck as the roads are very poor. when you arrive at the trailhead the only sign is a marker 1140 and a closed gate. this is the head of the Trail used for horses. as you find your way down in elevation you come to the creek just on the far side of the creek is a small sign that notifies U of the hiking trail. this Trail leads to the base of the falls. be sure not to pass this small hiking trail because the horse trail continues to the top of the mountain and not the top of the falls.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Pretty awesome! Climbed up to the bluff and found a neat cave. You are not allowed to enter due to the risk of spreading white nose disease but it was still interesting to see.

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Very nice hike. Easy to moderate difficulty.
The trail head is very easy to find if you know what your looking for. It's actually a road, with a locked gate. The road number is 1140 on the sign next to the gate. Reminder, When you hike this be aware and prepared. You are in the wild and there are larger than you critters out here!

Friday, January 08, 2016

My husband and I hiked this trail on Jan. 3. We had a great day to hike! The trailhead is a little hard to find, but if you follow the directions on All Trails you can find it! The waterfall is the highlight of the trail although the hike through the woods is enjoyable. We want to return after we have had a little more cold weather. We think the ice formations could be stunning. Will do this hike again soon!

Sunday, June 07, 2015

Chose to do this during a bad time of year. Thought spring would be good for the waterfall but also good for ticks.

Friday, July 18, 2014

The trail head was not marked, but we were able to find it. The hike was easy and enjoyable. The waterfall was a nice reward at the end of the trail.

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Steele falls is a gentle hike through the forest tell you cross the creek, then it is an easy but rocky cliimb to the water fall. I camped the night at the falls, using a hammock. The water was running but not much. I had hoped for more because it is fed by three springs.
Still it was a great little area. The waterfall is the destination and the highlight of the trail. *** for fee camping also available at Gunner Pool, which you passed on the way. Nice rustic camping, fishing, wading for the kids, scenic area.

Saturday, April 29, 2017