Learn more

Shores Lake West Side Trail is a 10.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Winslow, Arkansas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 10.2 mi Elevation gain 2,145 ft Route type Out & Back
Dogs on leash Backpacking Camping Hiking Nature trips Bird watching Forest Lake River Views Waterfall Wild flowers Wildlife Rocky
Description
Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Contact
Getting There

Shores Lake West Loop trail begins at White Rock Mountain and descends rapidly traveling west then south through heavy Ozark forest. crossing creeks several times while passing two nice wet weather waterfalls before arriving at Shore Lake NF Campground. White Rock trailhead is in the campground/picnic area (WP-01 on the map). Rustic cabins built by the CCC in the 1930s are available, but reservations are suggested. The trail heads east with blue blazes and descends a 100 feet to the junction of the White Rock spur and OHT (WP-02, 0.3 miles). Turn right (west) on combined trail (white blazes). At 1.1 miles the OHT splits off the west trail loop. The OHT goes straight and the west loop goes left following the blue blazes). The trail descends steadily for about 2 miles until you get to White Rock Creek, crossing Forest Road 1003 on the way (this is probably the road you drove up to get to White Rock). The area around the creek has many features. First, the trail will cross the creek twice in 0.2 miles and your crossings can be wet if the water is up. Second, there are lots of flat areas for camping just as you reach the first crossing and on the other side. There is a grotto up the creek before the first crossing that has a high but small waterfall (probably dry in the summer). Last, but not least, is the water fall between the two crossings. It is high volume with a large pool and can be seen from either side of the creek. The trail continues south following White Rock Creek and crosses Bliss Spring Hollow at about 4.5 miles. The crossing is dry and the area scenic. At 5.5 is the spur trail to the Shores Lake Trailhead (WP-04)

White Rock Mountain parking, trailhead for Ozark Highland trail, primitive camping along the trail. cabins, group lodge, camping, nature trail, picnic area, restrooms. Cabins and group lodge must be reserved in advance -- call . WhiteRockMountain.com Campground Details # Campsites: 8 RV/Tent with no hookups Region: River Valley Facilities: sites. (Open year-round) Users fee charged.

Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism, One Capitol Mall , Little Rock, AR, 72201, Phone: 501-682-7777 Boston Mountain Ranger District, 1803 N. 18th St., Ozark, AR, 72949, (479) 667-2191 www.fs.fed.us/oonf/ozark Physical Address: White Rock Mountain Recreation Area & Campground Ark. 215 North Mulberry, AR 72947 Phone: 479-667-2191 or 479-369-4128 Website: http://tiny.cc/h2s53 GPS: N35.5724638 W94.0312899

From Mulberry take Arkansas 215 north for 15 miles, then follow Forest Service Road 1505 for 0.5 mile to shores lake campground, continue past a couple miles to fork in road, turn right and take the immediate right into the campground.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (45)
Photos (276)
Recordings (74)
Completed (149)
Christopher Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 4, 2020
Hiking

It was good. A lot of bee activity. Definitely recommend after the first freeze.

View Christopher's Recording
Mike Edwards
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 18, 2020
Hiking

Wow... this trail is a beast! Well marked, first 3 mi fairly flat, good access to a creek to the waterfall. Then.. it’s on! Steep climbs, not difficult footing , just a lot of serious up hill! Great workout! At the top are a few cabins and a camp store, basics available. Beautiful views at the top rim. Hung a hammock at the rim... great view, shade and breeze. Did this with 30 lb pack, great trail for a challenge. Only 1 tick, there are a lot of spider webs in the AM. Campgrounds at trail head are closed, parked across the street.

View Mike's Recording
Kelly Weber
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 3, 2020
HikingBugsOver grownRocky

BRING LOTS OF WATER. It was extremely hot & humid. My husband and I both suffered from heat exhaustion even with 2 liters of water each and a swim in the creek. I’m glad we left our dog at home. Please don’t bring your dogs on this hike. It’s very strenuous when it’s this hot out. Other than that it was a gorgeous hike and I’ll do it again when the weather cools off. Also, much of the trail is overgrown. Trail is hard to see at some points.

View Kelly's Recording
Hannah Hanley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 31, 2020
HikingBugsOver grown

Great trail! We parked at the opposite end of this trail because we didn’t want to drive the car up the long gravel road. There’s a trailhead at the other end though. We also started at the bottom because we wanted to go uphill first. We ended up hiking about 6.4 miles up to the overlook. Lots of great views along the way even before you get there. The scramble to get up the overlook is not for the faint of heart. And there’s lots of overgrowth once you start the uphill- so wear good protective clothing and deets. Also—- you really need to be in decent shape to do this trail. It had some real tough spots but worth it! We played in the waterfall on the way back and it was so great!

Luca Shameh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 25, 2020
Hiking

Great trail. Only made it to the waterfalls and back, and as a novice and not quite in shape hiker, it was just enough.

View Luca's Recording
Richard Widen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 1, 2020
HikingRocky

Just rip back home

View Richard's Recording
Zak Mcbride
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 19, 2019
HikingBlowdownBugs
View Zak's Recording
G McD
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 26, 2019
BackpackingBlowdownOver grownRocky

Don't let the distance of the trail fool you. The trail is only about 6 miles from trailhead to trailhead ... but it's not easy going. We started at the southernmost trailhead, ascended to the White Rock Rim Trail, and came back down. Definitely a beautiful hike, but not easy. Trail is rocky and steep on the ascent sections ... and for some reason trails in Arkansas don't ever have switchbacks. Plenty of water on the west trail. A couple decent camp sites and a couple pretty poor ones. We only saw a couple other hikers the whole weekend, but from the look of the trail didn't really expect to see any. Doesn't look like the trail has had any significant maintenance in several years. Trail is overgrown in most places, with thick brambles (thorns) intruding into the trail space. There is quite a bit of blowdown on the trail, some of it significant. There are a handful of places where you have to either bushwack around the obstacle or play Twister with it to get through. We caught a great weekend in July with highs in the low 80s and lows in the low 60s, so the weather was perfect. We had a great time, but don't expect to just blow through the trail in a day. It's short, but it's slow going.

John Jordan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 8, 2019
HikingOver grownScramble

Definitely one of the rougher trails I have hiked. I only hiked from the top to the waterfall due to time constraints, but it was a beautiful hike. Do not expect to go quickly... previous reviews have been very helpful in that regard. As another reviewer noted, once you descend from the mountain, you are in the thick of a forest, so views are limited.

Cecili Cormier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 1, 2019
BackpackingOver grown

perfect little hike with some elevation change. we had to go around, over, and under a few downed trees. the creeks were up and near the waterfall we had to take our shoes off to cross. primitive campsite was perfect. did not see a single person on the trail.

Kimberly Roy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 23, 2019
Hiking

Really cool area. Long drive in dirt/gravel to get there (like 10 miles or 30 minutes). But remote, peaceful and beautiful. Hike was good, challenging but doable if he hike regularly.

John Lehmann
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 20, 2019
Hiking

I hiked this with my 9yo son from bottom to top and back the next day. We spent the night at a campsite near the top. There are a number of dispersed camping spots between the halfway point (the wide waterfall) and the top. This section is also arguably the most scenic. It was a challenging hike for us, and I was not going to push us to go all the way, but my son was determined in his mind so we were able to do it. We carried 35 and 10 lbs respectively. One trick we learned: when going from bottom to top, at the wide waterfall, if you stay on the far right (you have to scramble up one steep spot), you can avoid doing that river crossing and another one to come right back across. This could save you about 20 minutes. If you hike to the top, don't miss out on the rim trail, it's just a little bit further and is where all the distant views are. At the top is also a park with a store where you can buy supplies.

Brittany Littrel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 6, 2018
Backpacking

My 4 year old and I completed this trail June 18-20th 2018, we were very slow paced. it was absolutely beautiful and we made camp near the waterfall. The spots to set up for a tent are small but worked. Ticks and spiders were bad, but that's to be expected. We are deer, a bob cat, lots of butterflies and fish in the creek. Many water sources along the way with creek crossings. I would count this as more of a point to point trail that can also be made into a loop with the East side. We started and finished and what All Trails considers the middle with their out and back. Be prepared for rough driving and no cell service. There was steep drop offs and lots of rocks along the path but as said my 4 year old daughter and I managed. I'd love to go back to the area on the fall when ticks aren't has bad.

Mike Karcis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 13, 2018
Hiking

Was not too thrilled about the off-road adventure I had to take to the trailhead. (I have a ‘97 accord.) Was not too excited about the hike it taking 2.5 hours more than my expectation of 5 hrs. Things started to turn around when I went to the White Rock “general store” and met Whitney and Michael. (My usual h2o complement of 2L was not nearly enough for that hike.) As I rehydrated, Whitney told me a little about White Rock (e.g., it is the most remote park station (outpost?) in AR). Then she gave me directions to a shorter off-road route (only off-road access to White Rock, slow going 10-15 mph for a lower riding car, like my accord) via Shores Lake. Lo and behold — just after the off-road turned into road and just before the intersection with Route 215 — there was a jumping bridge over Shores Lake. It was about 3.5m high. What a great finish after a hard but nice hike. (If you are not enthused about bridge, it is still good for a soothing dip.) When I take my son there later this Summer, we will park at Shores Lake, hike up and down, jump off the bridge a few times, then drive up to White Rock to do the short but supposedly enjoyable Rim Trail, and visit with Whitney and Michael.

Daniel Sanchez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 16, 2018

This trail is epic. It is not a moderate trail!!! This was intense at times with so much elevation and immediate decline. The up and down is constant the entire trail. So that will take a toll on your endurance quick. However, if you can bare through it then you'll have some amazing experiences here. The aroma of fresh pines and cedar will keep your mind refreshed. The peaks and cliffs will keep your eyes wide open and satisfied with majestic views. The rocks, logs, boulders, and Creek crossing will keep your body challenged physically. We completed over 12 miles from 7am to 4pm. I took my time to take pictures but I am a fairly quick walker. Go look at my instagram and you see some amazing photos I captured with my dog. @danyandhisdogchica I recommend this trail for the more experienced hikers. Make an entire day for it. Start early and finish with plenty of daylight.

Garth Childress
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 5, 2018

Did this a few years ago while working EMS. Unfortunately, we had to rescue a hiker from the waterfall. All I remember was it middle summer, hot and at night and about 12 guys carrying a patient. I do look forward to doing it again, but in the daytime and with just my pack.

Miranda Sawyer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 11, 2017

Great trail! It's 12miles all around if you want to see the lake. Definitely will take the other Miranda's advice and do the Rim Trail then down this trail to just past the falls and back.

McClain Robinson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 25, 2017
Backpacking

Like many others have said before, the west side of this loop trail is definitely more enjoyable than the east side of the trail. The Shores Lake Trail is indeed a loop, with the upper portion sharing its path with the Ozark Highlands trail. I have frequently used the west side of Shores Lake Trail to get onto the Ozark Highlands where you can then spend as many miles as you want exploring. This helps to make a flexible 3 to 4 day hike be whatever you want. Plentiful water on the west side of Shores Lake turns into water once a day on Ozark Highlands so plan accordingly.

Miranda Kohout
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 22, 2017
Hiking

The West Side Loop is beautiful! The view from the White Rock Mountain Recreation Area (where you'll start) is breathtaking, and the hike is consistently lovely. We hiked just to White Rock Creek Falls and back, having hiked to the Falls from Shores Lake in the Fall, and I do like this route better but just by a little bit. Do note that this route takes you down, down, down the mountain, and then back up, up, up - an elevation change of 1800+ ft in about 3 miles. If that is your idea of "moderate," the dog and I salute you! We were wiped out. He is snoring loudly on the couch as I type this. We also hiked the easy 2-mile Rim Trail since we were there. Don't skip it, no matter how tired you are!

Miles J.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 8, 2017
Hiking

Did the entire loop in Mid October, unfortunately the fall color was late last year, but I imagine it would be superb if you got it at the right time. Best to hike the loop from west to east, starting at white rock imo. Some cool waterfalls and creeks on the west side and around Shores but the east side is mostly just a salty climb up WR Mountain. All n all, a good overnight loop that's really convenient.

Caleb Ellis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 4, 2016

Great little trail. West side is scenic and water is plentiful. Ridge trail up top is beautiful at sunrise. East side isn't anything special.

Tim Hopson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 25, 2016
Hiking

Very fun hike. The sign said "west side loop" but it's definitely not a loop. Realized that when we were halfway done and ended up turning back around. Good cardio, no difficult but I wouldn't wanna take a small child there...other than my lab.

Charlie Collins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 7, 2015
Camping

Here's a 1080P video of the waterfall when we went over Labor Day weekend this year (2015). It was hot (90+ degrees), water level was low, and horse flies were insane. I would recommend this on a cool to cold day. The views are pretty great and the trail is pretty strenuous I would say for most people if climbing to the White Rock Mountain. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lVnuIhM5pA