Shores Lake West Side Trail

Shores Lake West Side Trail is a 10.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Winslow, Arkansas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Shores Lake West Loop trail begins at White Rock Mountain and descends rapidly traveling west then south through heavy Ozark forest. crossing creeks several times while passing two nice wet weather waterfalls before arriving at Shore Lake NF Campground. White Rock trailhead is in the campground/picnic area (WP-01 on the map). Rustic cabins built by the CCC in the 1930s are available, but reservations are suggested. The trail heads east with blue blazes and descends a 100 feet to the junction of the White Rock spur and OHT (WP-02, 0.3 miles). Turn right (west) on combined trail (white blazes). At 1.1 miles the OHT splits off the west trail loop. The OHT goes straight and the west loop goes left following the blue blazes). The trail descends steadily for about 2 miles until you get to White Rock Creek, crossing Forest Road 1003 on the way (this is probably the road you drove up to get to White Rock). The area around the creek has many features. First, the trail will cross the creek twice in 0.2 miles and your crossings can be wet if the water is up. Second, there are lots of flat areas for camping just as you reach the first crossing and on the other side. There is a grotto up the creek before the first crossing that has a high but small waterfall (probably dry in the summer). Last, but not least, is the water fall between the two crossings. It is high volume with a large pool and can be seen from either side of the creek. The trail continues south following White Rock Creek and crosses Bliss Spring Hollow at about 4.5 miles. The crossing is dry and the area scenic. At 5.5 is the spur trail to the Shores Lake Trailhead (WP-04)

I need to look up what the criteria are for "easy", "moderate", and "hard" ratings.
Did this yesterday with my dog. This Trail was pretty hard for me, especially of the way back up the hill to white rock where the car was parked. I normally pack pretty heavy because I am trying to build strength and endurance. My pack weight was about 40 pounds. I had long pants because the bugs love me and that didn't help given the heat.
In the pack was about 12 liters of water and I am lucky I had it because I needed it. Even the dog drank two liters and she drank a lot from the creeks.

Pigeon Roost is also a moderate and I have done it many times with a similar weight pack. I find pigeon's roost to be much easier. The elevation change has a lot to do with the difficulty.
The horseflies were bad. I ended up putting in headphones on muffle the buzzing.

It takes quite a while to get there over a lot of dirt roads. I think I will try the other trails around war eagle before I venture out this far again. The views were nice. Better than Pigeons Roost but I didn't feel like it was worth the drive.

Great trail! It's 12miles all around if you want to see the lake. Definitely will take the other Miranda's advice and do the Rim Trail then down this trail to just past the falls and back.

Like many others have said before, the west side of this loop trail is definitely more enjoyable than the east side of the trail. The Shores Lake Trail is indeed a loop, with the upper portion sharing its path with the Ozark Highlands trail. I have frequently used the west side of Shores Lake Trail to get onto the Ozark Highlands where you can then spend as many miles as you want exploring. This helps to make a flexible 3 to 4 day hike be whatever you want. Plentiful water on the west side of Shores Lake turns into water once a day on Ozark Highlands so plan accordingly.

The West Side Loop is beautiful! The view from the White Rock Mountain Recreation Area (where you'll start) is breathtaking, and the hike is consistently lovely. We hiked just to White Rock Creek Falls and back, having hiked to the Falls from Shores Lake in the Fall, and I do like this route better but just by a little bit.

Do note that this route takes you down, down, down the mountain, and then back up, up, up - an elevation change of 1800+ ft in about 3 miles. If that is your idea of "moderate," the dog and I salute you! We were wiped out. He is snoring loudly on the couch as I type this.

We also hiked the easy 2-mile Rim Trail since we were there. Don't skip it, no matter how tired you are!

Did the entire loop in Mid October, unfortunately the fall color was late last year, but I imagine it would be superb if you got it at the right time. Best to hike the loop from west to east, starting at white rock imo. Some cool waterfalls and creeks on the west side and around Shores but the east side is mostly just a salty climb up WR Mountain. All n all, a good overnight loop that's really convenient.

Wednesday, May 04, 2016

Great little trail. West side is scenic and water is plentiful. Ridge trail up top is beautiful at sunrise. East side isn't anything special.

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Very fun hike. The sign said "west side loop" but it's definitely not a loop. Realized that when we were halfway done and ended up turning back around. Good cardio, no difficult but I wouldn't wanna take a small child there...other than my lab.

Monday, September 07, 2015

Here's a 1080P video of the waterfall when we went over Labor Day weekend this year (2015). It was hot (90+ degrees), water level was low, and horse flies were insane. I would recommend this on a cool to cold day. The views are pretty great and the trail is pretty strenuous I would say for most people if climbing to the White Rock Mountain.

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Monday, August 11, 2014

Saturday, May 03, 2014

Shores Lake East Loop, can be hiked either direction. I prefer to spend the night previous camping at White Rock Mountain, view the best sunset east of the Rockies, before doing the trail the next morning. The trail is largely down hill and passes two waterfalls. One is not spectacular for flow and is best visited in the spring months. The other has flow most of the year. There are numerous very nice primitive camping sites along the trail. I have also visited it in the fall and the fall colors are spectacular.