Round Top Mountain Trail

Round Top Mountain Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Jasper, Arkansas that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Round Top Mountain 3.5 mile trail loops around the base of the mountain top bluffs with scenic rock formations, minor remnants of a Bomber plan that crashed in the 1940's, and then climbs to the top of the bluff to allow panoramic views of the area before returning to the trail head. The trail provides some great views of Jasper and the surrounding area, along with some excellent rock formations and bluff lines. Stops on the trail include a indian bluff shelter & amarker where the plane crashed. The trail begins with a series of switch backs but quickly levels off with only a couple of climbs after that to reach the mountain top. Overall an easy trail. It only earns a moderate difficult rating for the beginning switch backs.

Poorly maintained. Lots of overgrown path and washed out steps. The plane is mostly vandalized, smaller pieces and not much to look at. The southern view was fantastic and a great stopping point for lunch.

Not a favorite, but pretty neat trail. I renamed it Copperhead Mountain, because we encountered at least 6 on the trail. There are restroom, and also a plane crash... I have a picture that looks like a dinosaur, when I get the laptop up, i'll post some pictures...Easy easy trail, go when cooler and snakes are in:) if they bother you too much. All in all we had a great little hike.

Good hiking trail, found a few ticks but all in all had a great time on it

Very pretty trail. Lots of large rock formations. Features a plane crash site, a rock/bluff shelter, and two overlook points. Steep incline starting out, but it gets better.

This was not one of my favorites. We went in June and it was way overgrown, we had ticks all over us, it was like walking on a deer trail. We did the whole trail, the bottom loop and the top both North and South views and West Trail. I would NOT recommend the bottom loop, there was nothing to see and pretty sure a mountain lion came running out of a large den in front of us. Of course this happened on the very beginning of our trail so we were terrified the rest of the way. We got to the top and went to the North view. Don't take the North View path, take the West Trail. The North View path is over grown and just not a decent trail. The West Trail is much better and takes you to the North View. The North View was beautiful. Very pretty! But I would not do the South View at all, it was very over grown and the View was not that pretty and mostly blocked by trees... the only reason I gave it this rating was because of the North View.

Lots and lots of ticks!!

Great view of the sunset from the north side of the mountain and a decent trail system but hard to follow at times. Lots of ticks so bring the Off.

Nice hike to do with kids. Lots to see.

little snow on one side and got a little chilly. good hike.

Great views

This trail was a nice loop. Was expecting more from the crash site. People have clearly stolen what was left over the years. The trail takes you up a little climb at first, and then levels out for the rest of the entire bottom loop. You can take some rock steps up to the top loops foe better views, but nothing out of this world. A nice trail, but hasn't been taken care of as far as benches along the trail, and the restroom at the trailhead was horrible. An overall nice trail if you want to get out and stretch your legs and hear highway traffic while doing so. In my opinion, too many other trails in the area are a better way to spend your time.

This trail was a decent little trail. It starts out with some uphill switchbacks, but levels off for most of the lower loop around the mountain. I was a little disappointed with the crash site. I guess I was expecting more remnants to be left, but clearly the scavengers had taken their toll over the years. There is a nice memorial to the servicemen that lost their lives in the crash.
After you complete the lower loop, their are some nice rock steps that will lead you to the upper trails that will give you some nice views. Overall that trail was okay, but you can hear the cars travelling on the highway below and that takes away from any feeling of being in the woods on a nice trail.

Beautiful!!!!!!

Just took the loop today. I was glad to see this back open.