Round Top Mountain Trail

Round Top Mountain Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Jasper, Arkansas that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Round Top Mountain 3.5 mile trail loops around the base of the mountain top bluffs with scenic rock formations, minor remnants of a Bomber plan that crashed in the 1940's, and then climbs to the top of the bluff to allow panoramic views of the area before returning to the trail head. The trail provides some great views of Jasper and the surrounding area, along with some excellent rock formations and bluff lines. Stops on the trail include a indian bluff shelter & amarker where the plane crashed. The trail begins with a series of switch backs but quickly levels off with only a couple of climbs after that to reach the mountain top. Overall an easy trail. It only earns a moderate difficult rating for the beginning switch backs.

Great experience

Good walk

Great trail for watching sunsets.

Great hike with amazing views. The North view was especially beautiful. Well kept trail with some cool stops on the way up. We will be back!

Very accessible and two great views - north and south sides of the mountain. The first 10-15 minutes are grueling but after that it is pretty flat. It was very enjoyable for me and my old dog. The leaves have all fallen so the views were great!

Hiked Round Top today and it was beautiful weather and views. The distance from the parking lot up the Crouse trail, around switchbacks, two loops and one spur trail and back to the parking lot was 3.8 miles. The trail map was difficult to interpret at first and we weren't really sure if there was one trail or two until we finished the second loop. There is one trail but several options of directions to take. There are no blazes, but this trail is so well worn that none were necessary and at junctions there were great signs. South fork was by far the most beautiful view!

I haven't been in the spring, so I don't know how grown up it gets. But, right now as of nov 24. Is the best time to go. There were lots of ppl there as well but not so overcrowded you can't enjoy it. Just means the trail was good and packed down. The views are awesome and the plane crash was.., idk. I felt kinda sad about it. I think the crash happened in 1946. Overall a nice and peaceful adventure!

Love the trail. The benches and fences are rotting. This would be a great boy scout project.

The connector from the parking area is steep. The crash site is interesting and the views are great.

Good hike!

Nice trail on a clear day has some awesome views.

Views hindered by overgrowth trail not maintained. Crash site was neat. Glad we didn't give up it is there and clearly marked and easy to see.

Nice loop trail. Is a bit narrow and overgrown in spots but overall all a good trail No issues with insects/ticks, however I always use sportsmans grade insect repellent with 40% Deet. The trails on the top of the mountain, particularly the south trail was very overgrown, but that is to be expected for the time of year and sun exposure. I suspect this trail is great in the late fall and winter.

Poorly maintained. Lots of overgrown path and washed out steps. The plane is mostly vandalized, smaller pieces and not much to look at. The southern view was fantastic and a great stopping point for lunch.

Not a favorite, but pretty neat trail. I renamed it Copperhead Mountain, because we encountered at least 6 on the trail. There are restroom, and also a plane crash... I have a picture that looks like a dinosaur, when I get the laptop up, i'll post some pictures...Easy easy trail, go when cooler and snakes are in:) if they bother you too much. All in all we had a great little hike.

Good hiking trail, found a few ticks but all in all had a great time on it

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Very pretty trail. Lots of large rock formations. Features a plane crash site, a rock/bluff shelter, and two overlook points. Steep incline starting out, but it gets better.

Friday, June 16, 2017

This was not one of my favorites. We went in June and it was way overgrown, we had ticks all over us, it was like walking on a deer trail. We did the whole trail, the bottom loop and the top both North and South views and West Trail. I would NOT recommend the bottom loop, there was nothing to see and pretty sure a mountain lion came running out of a large den in front of us. Of course this happened on the very beginning of our trail so we were terrified the rest of the way. We got to the top and went to the North view. Don't take the North View path, take the West Trail. The North View path is over grown and just not a decent trail. The West Trail is much better and takes you to the North View. The North View was beautiful. Very pretty! But I would not do the South View at all, it was very over grown and the View was not that pretty and mostly blocked by trees... the only reason I gave it this rating was because of the North View.

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Lots and lots of ticks!!

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Great view of the sunset from the north side of the mountain and a decent trail system but hard to follow at times. Lots of ticks so bring the Off.

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

Nice hike to do with kids. Lots to see.

Monday, March 13, 2017

little snow on one side and got a little chilly. good hike.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Great views

Thursday, December 01, 2016

This trail was a nice loop. Was expecting more from the crash site. People have clearly stolen what was left over the years. The trail takes you up a little climb at first, and then levels out for the rest of the entire bottom loop. You can take some rock steps up to the top loops foe better views, but nothing out of this world. A nice trail, but hasn't been taken care of as far as benches along the trail, and the restroom at the trailhead was horrible. An overall nice trail if you want to get out and stretch your legs and hear highway traffic while doing so. In my opinion, too many other trails in the area are a better way to spend your time.

Monday, November 28, 2016

This trail was a decent little trail. It starts out with some uphill switchbacks, but levels off for most of the lower loop around the mountain. I was a little disappointed with the crash site. I guess I was expecting more remnants to be left, but clearly the scavengers had taken their toll over the years. There is a nice memorial to the servicemen that lost their lives in the crash.
After you complete the lower loop, their are some nice rock steps that will lead you to the upper trails that will give you some nice views. Overall that trail was okay, but you can hear the cars travelling on the highway below and that takes away from any feeling of being in the woods on a nice trail.

Friday, November 25, 2016

Beautiful!!!!!!

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Just took the loop today. I was glad to see this back open.

Monday, October 31, 2016

Very good views. Not too difficult to do, or to get there. Nice Trail.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

nice little hike with some good up hills. I went in late September and the cobwebs were out of this world-everywhere!! just be mindful if you aren't okay with that type of stuff- does not appear that the travel is well traveled enough to naturally get rid of that :-)

Monday, September 19, 2016

Good hike. But husband wants to note the benches are lacking.. most were rotted and fallen apart. Bomber motor was not there. PLENTIFUL copperheads. bathrooms in disrepair. this trail has not had upkeep. don't attempt in warm weather if you are afraid of snakes. we saw them at several different points on the trail. all that being said we will return in cooler weather