Rookery Trail

Rookery Trail is a 5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Fayetteville, Arkansas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Trail can be confusing at times and opens into a couple fields that you have to figure your way through. Also ran into some cows, which was interesting although our dog was not fond of them haha. It was a pretty easy trail tho, just wish we were able to get closer to the water.

It was a nice trail with a few neat gates to pass thru.

This trail starts out great with nice views of the water. Once you get tithe cow pasture just go back as there are limited markers, the ones there are confusing, most of it is mud and cow mess, etc. This trail had a lot of potential but was just all over the place. My dog loved the cows!

Fun and easy trail

I had absolutely no trouble finding my way on this trail. There are frequent blazes (some old, some newer and bluer), and where there aren't blazes, there's blue tape tied to or hanging from the trees. Some helpful soul has also tied strips of cloth to the trees in the trickier parts. The path through the pasture is clear, it looks like someone comes in with a lawn mower and keeps it visible. Easy peasy.

This is a lovely flat and easy trail which follows the lake edge. The rock wall is amazing - it goes on and on and on. The process of building it, particularly in the middle of the woods, must have been back-breaking. You can follow it for pretty much as long as you want, and turn around any time.

We did not see any signs of the old rookery, and we wandered in the woods quite a ways. The blazes and tape keep going, though we lost them eventually and turned back.

What might deter you from this trail are the cows. Part of this is clearly their regular stomping ground, and the deep mud and cow piles (also deep!) are there to prove it. Don't go after it's been raining (my mistake) if you'd like to stay tidy. The actual cows were curious about us, but not aggressive. They'd moved on entirely when we came back through the pasture.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

pretty area, picturesque, but I lost trail in the pasture about half a mile in. all in all a great evening, but I'm a little wary of running through open range...

Monday, August 15, 2016

Enjoyed my day on Rookery, but lost the trail about half way through in the field after the small creek. The blue markers on the trees were adequate prior to this. This caused me to trek into some other fields bordering the water, and witnessed some beautiful wildlife, mushrooms, and flowers. Wished I could have completed it, but still a great day with my dog.

Sunday, April 03, 2016

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Well maintained beautiful trail. I loved the pasture bits even though it made a bit difficult to keep to the markers. Ended up turning back after getting turned around so we didn't quite make it to the end. Peaceful, pretty private, we all liked it.

Monday, December 14, 2015

The trail was nice and peaceful the day that I went, but the leaves combined with minimal trail markers meant that i spent more time wandering through pasture trying to find the trail again than I did actually on it. There are lots of cow paths that crisscross the trail and make it tricky. The second half was better, but even harder to follow until you get to the rock wall.
Very basic trail, but in 2+ hours I only saw one other group, a couple and their dogs, which is very rare on a beautiful weekend. I'll be back, and hopefully I'll be able to do a better job staying on the trail.

Monday, November 16, 2015

The trail was hard to follow at times and didn't see much that impressed me.

Sunday, November 15, 2015