Rookery Trail

Rookery Trail is a 4.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Fayetteville, Arkansas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

pretty sweet, cool mixture of scenery, definitely needs more blazing but its usually got it when you need it and doesn't have any when you don't.
recent rain has put lots of debris on the trail, cows have torn up a good bit of trail and made it stinky
my GPS came out at 4.1miles not 4.9

but overall ill probably be doing it again

If you want to run a rustic trail this is it. decently marked with red markers. Overall good trail

I liked the trail. It's in need of some TLC but still enjoyable.

Trail can be confusing at times and opens into a couple fields that you have to figure your way through. Also ran into some cows, which was interesting although our dog was not fond of them haha. It was a pretty easy trail tho, just wish we were able to get closer to the water.

It was a nice trail with a few neat gates to pass thru.

Monday, July 03, 2017

This trail starts out great with nice views of the water. Once you get to the cow pasture just go back as there are limited markers, the ones there are confusing, most of it is mud and cow mess, etc. This trail had a lot of potential but was just all over the place. My dog loved the cows!

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Fun and easy trail

Monday, January 23, 2017

I had absolutely no trouble finding my way on this trail. There are frequent blazes (some old, some newer and bluer), and where there aren't blazes, there's blue tape tied to or hanging from the trees. Some helpful soul has also tied strips of cloth to the trees in the trickier parts. The path through the pasture is clear, it looks like someone comes in with a lawn mower and keeps it visible. Easy peasy.

This is a lovely flat and easy trail which follows the lake edge. The rock wall is amazing - it goes on and on and on. The process of building it, particularly in the middle of the woods, must have been back-breaking. You can follow it for pretty much as long as you want, and turn around any time.

We did not see any signs of the old rookery, and we wandered in the woods quite a ways. The blazes and tape keep going, though we lost them eventually and turned back.

What might deter you from this trail are the cows. Part of this is clearly their regular stomping ground, and the deep mud and cow piles (also deep!) are there to prove it. Don't go after it's been raining (my mistake) if you'd like to stay tidy. The actual cows were curious about us, but not aggressive. They'd moved on entirely when we came back through the pasture.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

pretty area, picturesque, but I lost trail in the pasture about half a mile in. all in all a great evening, but I'm a little wary of running through open range...

Monday, August 15, 2016

Enjoyed my day on Rookery, but lost the trail about half way through in the field after the small creek. The blue markers on the trees were adequate prior to this. This caused me to trek into some other fields bordering the water, and witnessed some beautiful wildlife, mushrooms, and flowers. Wished I could have completed it, but still a great day with my dog.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Well maintained beautiful trail. I loved the pasture bits even though it made a bit difficult to keep to the markers. Ended up turning back after getting turned around so we didn't quite make it to the end. Peaceful, pretty private, we all liked it.

Monday, December 14, 2015

The trail was nice and peaceful the day that I went, but the leaves combined with minimal trail markers meant that i spent more time wandering through pasture trying to find the trail again than I did actually on it. There are lots of cow paths that crisscross the trail and make it tricky. The second half was better, but even harder to follow until you get to the rock wall.
Very basic trail, but in 2+ hours I only saw one other group, a couple and their dogs, which is very rare on a beautiful weekend. I'll be back, and hopefully I'll be able to do a better job staying on the trail.

Monday, November 16, 2015

The trail was hard to follow at times and didn't see much that impressed me.

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Went out there today. There are more and larger trail markers and I went further, but I still lost my way after the before reaching the stone wall. I'm determined to finish the whole trail some day.

Friday, July 11, 2014

Hard to follow at times. It was so muddy we could not finish it. Nice bridges to get over the little creeks.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

after the trail ended with no warning we were shot at on the way back by a house close by. we called the lake management and they wouldn't do anything and also had us call the cops we are currently having to wait for the police before we can go home after being on this tick filled trail since 2. horrible and I won't recommend this trail.

Monday, February 24, 2014

Echo everyone's comments before mine that the trail markings can be very difficult to track at times. Be patient as you walk through the open fields and once you get to the ridgeline you will be glad you did. Really enjoyed this trail, from the overlooks of the lake to the obstacles (mud, downed trees, unique gates) and awesome rock wall formation that stretches on for an extremely long time. Looking forward to checking out nearby Kingfisher Trail across the street in the near future!

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Live just across the lake and didnt know it was here. Found trail while geocaching. Nice hike close to the lake but is hard to follow the trail at times.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

This out and back trail gets very hard to follow at times . Very interesting trail though , has a couple of open fields (which someones cattle was in ) and the last part of the trial has a long ,waist high rock wall. which was probably a land marker or border . At the end there is supposed to be a heron rookery,couldn't find it though.

Monday, October 15, 2012

Really nice, interesting trail with all kinds of different terrain and sights to see. My favorite parts were coming out into the 2 wide open pastures and the long rock wall in the woods. Beware: the trail is tricky to follow. Keep your eyes open for the blue trail markers, as well as orange and pink ribbons on trees. After the 2nd clearing/pasture, and after you go through the cow gate, hug the tree line to the right of the gate (behind the picnic table) to find the trail again. You will climb up a hill through the woods and encounter another wooden gate. You don't want to miss this final leg of the trail as there is a very long and impressive rock wall that you'll hike along next to in this end portion of the trail. It took me a while to find the trail again after that second pasture and I almost gave up but I'm glad I made it through because the second leg of the trail is quite beautiful. I had to turn around to beat the sunset but apparently if I had made it all the way to the end there is an old Heron rookery at the turn-around point! I will have to go back another day.

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Very nice close by trail to Fayetteville,AR. Starts off well marked and far end is well defined with many different options along the way.

The rock wall property boundary is the longest I have seen in AR. Glad I did not have to move all those rocks. Lots of wildlife and plant life on this trail. Goes past where the track stops but not real clear. Is Recommended!

Sunday, June 25, 2017