Redding/Spy Rock Loop Trail

Redding/Spy Rock Loop Trail is a 8.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Ozark, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

paddle sports

Trailhead is located on the NE corner of the Redding campground.

Great trail for a day hike or overnight backpacking. This was our first backpacking trip and we had a blast. Great place to hammock camp right on the rock overlook. Trail is well marked and maintained. Both of us are beginners but are in good physical condition; it took us about 2.5 hours to reach the rock and about 1.5 hours to hike back down.

Was not paying close attention to the length of this trail when we hiked it. Was very long... but there are several waterfalls along the way. It really is worth the distance. I had a puppy and 2 7 year old kiddos who enjoyed it!

I'd rate this trail as moderate. The trail is narrow but slopes gradually and has only a few rugged areas. The trail is well-marked and -maintained. There are more sources of water on the east loop than the west, but I suspect that those will disappear during the dry season. There is no water source at the summit campsite, but the view is great. We arrived just in time to see the sun set.

One more thing. The trailhead is no longer at Redding campground. It is located on a small dirt road just east of the campground off the main highway. The new parking lot is located directly on the east loop. The spur leading to Redding campground still exists though. Make sure you don't accidently take it and end up in someone's campsite like we did.

Great little hike. Definitely not a hard trail. I would say moderate at best.

easy to follow, well kept and all around great trail!

This is a fun hike, is mostly covered, and has a breathtaking overlook at the end! We went up on the west side trail and down on the east, though you could easily choose the opposite. There are camp sites along the east side. The east side also has bluff overlooks and waterfalls, but it is more rocky. If you’re starting on the west side, make sure to not turn prematurely when you’re getting close to the top - pass the road closed sign on the trail as the trail shoot off for spy rock is clearly marked with brown/yellow wooden signs. There’s great hammocking and two camp sites at top of spy rock! Might have to pay $3 for parking so bring cash.

Absolutely LOVE this trail! I've taken my kids many times for a quick day hike. Such a beautiful trail and the lookout is so amazing! My go-to place when needing some mountain therapy!!

Quiet, secluded, and beautiful. Very well marked and maintained in the Winter. Don't miss the detour to the view at Spy Rock, one of the prettiest around. If you're going to park near the trailhead be sure to bring $3 and a pen to fill out your day use tag and envelope.

My girlfriend and I backpacked this trail in October and we both enjoyed it thoroughly. The leaves were only beginning to change colors but still, much to see. Our goal was to camp on top of Spy Rock so we reached the top after only a few hours of hiking. We crossed several dry creeks and found nowhere to replenish our water. However, we prepared for this and packed plenty of water as most of Arkansas is dry during that time of year. The trail is moderately inclined going to the top of the mountain. I would not say it was difficult. Once at the top we found a few great primitive campsites. The view was beautiful. A must see. We enjoyed plenty of time to relax at the top (bring a hammock) before cooking supper and turning in for the night. Sunrise from the top was spectacular and we broke camp after saying goodbye to another backpacker who also camped at the top. I can't remember if we hiked this loop clockwise or counterclockwise but we did see a few trickling waterfalls on our hike out. This was a short overnight trip but left us plenty of time to get done with Sunday chores once we were back home. I certainly recommend this hike.

Did this yesterday. Great trail.

The trailhead has been moved from the Redding campground to a little parking area 1/4 mile further down the highway. All the signage at the new trailhead is missing so it was a total guess where to go but we got it right. From the parking lot, follow the trail that starts out the back of the parking lot and turns right toward Redding campground. It will take you to the intersection of the old trail beginning and the west and east loops, We met another hiker on the trail that said the old trailhead at Redding was just across from the restrooms.

The trail spends a good amount of miles along bluffs, teasing you with views of the valley through bare trees. Sometimes the trail is narrow and the bluff drop off very severe, but nothing too scary. The trail meanders through both deciduous and pine forest but stays primarily in the woods. At this time of year, the leaves are deep enough to obscure ankle rolling rocks, so be careful and you might want to opt for ankle high boots for support. The creeks were all dry but some rock formations on the east loop surely make some awesome waterfalls after a rain.

Spy Rock is a nice view for a lunch break. Plenty of big rocks to sit on while you enjoy the view. Looks like enough space for 2 campsites at Spy Rock, would make a great side trail for someone backpacking the OHT.

It was a decent outing. All the trees were still changing colors so it was pretty. However, some people were camping up on Spy Rock which just made that part non-enjoyable and quick. I would like to come back in the raining season and see the waterfall.

New trail head is located NE of the parking lot of the trail head. Do not take the trail head located in the new trail head parking lot

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Good early season hike to get back into backpacking shape! It should be only be rated moderate, with some elevation gain and rocky stretches. Blue blazes on the trail could use some repairs, but the trail was always easy to find with good signage. Water was abundant all along the trail except for the Spy Rock section. Spring was just starting to hit the higher elevations, with some dogwood flowering and the trees just leafing out. It seems like they recently did a prescribed burn here, as the understory vegetation was very sparse.

I paid $3 and parked in the Redding campsite overnight, although I'm sure parking in the Spy Rock parking area would have been fine. Even though the Redding campsite looked full, I saw no one else on the trail both days. I took the east loop and camped at the second waterfall. There was very little flat ground, but it worked. Be warned, there is a lot of ATV noise along the east loop at night.

I went up to Spy Rock the next day, which was less elevation gain than I expected. I found a smoldering fire at the top--shame on the campers who stayed there the night before! I put it out with the extra water I brought with me. The view from the top was well worth the hike!

The west loop was all downhill and very easy but not very interesting.

Monday, March 13, 2017

This was my second visit, this time with the dog. We are now both big fans of this trail. The views are incredible, and both waterfalls were flowing a little. This trial is easy to find and follow, and, while it's rated "hard," it's really somewhere between "easy" and "moderate."

Sunday, March 12, 2017

lots of rocks on the east loop

Wednesday, February 01, 2017

Pretty hike the whole time! We did the west loop first and it was pretty easy. On the east loop there were two waterfalls that would've been flowing really well after a good rain. We backpacked it and stayed the night at spy rock. Absolutely gorgeous view!! You could definitely make it a day trip, but I would recommend camping and exploring at spy rock!

Monday, January 30, 2017

My wife and I hiked the trail today. Parked at the campground and paid to park $3 day use honor system. Ate at the Oark Cafe first. Awesome breakfast to start the day off right. Just FYI here if you plan on going over to spy rock, the loop including spy rock is a total of 9 miles. Lots of rocks in the trail waiting to twist you ankle so be sure footed. Trecking poles are awesome to help with this. Have a great time.

Thursday, November 10, 2016

If you follow Ernst's suggestion, and start your hike from the campground, know three things: 1. There is a $3 day-use fee (I had to pay in charge from my car's cup holder!) it's on the honor system; 2. The trailhead is directly across from the restrooms. If I'd not stopped to ask the ranger where the trail started, I would have found it that way, but 3. you can also walk out on the road you came in on, cross the highway, and start the hike there (West Loop), which was his suggestion, and the way I went.

Beautiful trail, and certainly not difficult. At this time of year, the path is often obscured by a thick carpet of leaves, but the frequent blue blazes will keep you on track. There's signage at all major points, and you shouldn't have any trouble getting out and back. The view from Spy Rock was incredible today, and there will be more amazing views during the winter. Both waterfalls were dry, but judging by other blogs and the pics here, they are worth making a trip back for.

Take the quick-ish drive to the Oark General Store in Ozone! It's the longest continually operating store around, and they serve a very nice BLT, as well as an array of gorgeous house-made pies. The staff makes you feel welcome; it's a great place to fuel up after your hike.

Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Great trail. This is not a hard trail! Easy to moderate at best. High point was waking up to the view off spy rock!

Monday, July 25, 2016

Fun hike, with amazing views. Would love to go back and camp.

Monday, May 30, 2016

I did the loop, spent at least an hour at spy rock and never saw another person.

off road driving
Tuesday, May 10, 2016

It is nice camping site. Has one power camp site and others has none. $10 fee. Whoever has access pass can get $5 each day. Nice showers. I came there for shower, i camp east of Oark. Also i go off road driving in mountain.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

I love this loop but it's not hard, should be moderate. You'll be alone for most of the trail but people can drive almost all the way to Spy Rock so you'll probably have a little company there.

Saturday, April 16, 2016

A long loop with few people done in the the winter. Might be best to start off the highway and go counter clockwise.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Good hike through the woods. Wet weather would provide a couple of water falls. Agree with earlier comment moderate level when hiking the west loop.

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Great trail for a half day hike. I would not agree that it is rated as hard. I would consider it moderate, at least in the clock wise direction

Sunday, November 08, 2015

This is a nice loop (probably my favorite) with modest elevation changes that isn't to strenuous (I consider it Moderate). The trail is well marked with blue blazes and offers a nice view from Spy Rock.

Sunday, March 29, 2015

whoever took those pictures sucks donkey balls. no one wants to see you bitch!

Sunday, October 19, 2014

I wasn't overly impressed with the view from Spy Rock. Nice enough valley view, but I was probably a week or two early for really nice fall colors. Overall the hike is nice, but for the length, a more grand ending would have been nice.

Monday, September 29, 2014

If your going to pay for camping. There are private camp grounds who really love you business !
The government has enuf money