Pigeon Roost Trail

Pigeon Roost Trail is a 8.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Rogers, Arkansas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail is a double stacked-loop trail; there is a short loop of approximately 4 miles for day hiking and a longer loop of 8.5 miles for overnight use. Primitive camping is allowed on the longer loop at five designated campsites only. Pigeon Roost Trail is in a figure eight shape that is made up by two loops, Dry Creek Loop 4.1 miles and Huckleberry Loop 4.3 miles. Please contact the Ranger at the phone number listed below to determine if there will be a campsite available. The trail is fairly short for an overnight trail, but there are several hills to climb which give the trail its difficulty rating.

It was ordinary, thus three stars

Great trail! Ticks were bad, and the campsites are all gathered pretty close together.

Took my dog over this trail last week. We did this on a Friday morning so there were very few people on the trail until the afternoon.
The trail is very rocky so a hard soled shoe is advised. There were lots of spider webs in the trail. I ended up picking up a stick to hold in front of me to catch them before they hit me in the face.

I had about 30 pounds of gear in case I ended up being out over night, but I did not need anything close to the estimated eight hours to get back to the car at what felt like a steady but leisurely pace. I even let the dog play in the lake for 20-30 minutes.

Start to finish we took four hours and 26 minutes. It was a good hike, but the rockiness of the trail did bother my knees near the end.

Super way to wile away a summer afternoon. Well-marked without feeling like a freeway, lots of shade and plenty of solitude! 1/3 (I think?) of the way through is a perfect place to slip right into the lake. There's a gravelly slope comfortable to sit on up to your waist and lounge. This trail.only achieves "moderate" status because it is long. There are enough inclines that you feel like you're getting your heart rate up but not so.much that you gasp for breath. Be sure to take a breather when you get to the sign 1.5 miles away from the trailhead on your way back, because the last mile is gradually uphill. I spent 5 hours here, with leisurely breaks and a swim, and covered the entire 8 miles loop.

I hiked this on a very warm day (90 degrees with 83% humidity.) The trail is just hard enough to make you run out of breathe about the time it flattens out again. I saw dozens of white-tail deer but unfortunately all saw me first. Only saw one rat snake that was maybe 1 foot long. I stayed at campsite 3 and it was only a short little hike straight down the hill to the lake. Make sure you bring extra water. I brought my filter but the lake was very warm. Found a nice rock that was about knee deep that I could stand on to do a little fishing. I caught a couple largemouth bass that were not keepers and had an alligator gar follow my lure within 2 feet of me. After my pup and myself were home we picked off 55 ticks (not counting the ones I pulled off on the trail) so make sure you take bug spray. I would have given this trail 5 stars but the ticks were ridiculous.

Did the Dry Creek Loop for the first time since winter time and it was nice and shaded for almost the entire trail. Trail is well maintained but I made sure to use sunscreen and insect repellent anyway. It took me two hours to complete the 4.2 mile loop and mostly saw birds and squirrels. Moderate trail but I did stop to catch my breath a few times as I'm used to running on flat, paved trails this year. Nice change and equally great workout.

Today I did a solo hike on the Pigeon Roost Trail at Hobbs State Park. It was a beautiful hike through pine and hardwood forest, down to the lake, and looping back. I didn't see any golden eagles as I did last time I was in the area, but I did see a few whitetail deer.

This trail is rated as moderate, due to the frequent hills. I took the 4 mile loop instead of the 8 mile one (which is great for overnight backpacking). I walked 4.12 miles in almost two hours. Max elevation gain was 594 feet, and elevation loss was 574 feet. My average heart rate was 100, with a max of 125, and I burned 647 calories. I was tired by the time I got back to the trail head. If you take this trail, I recommend that you wear thick-soled hiking boots with high ankles, because much of the trail is covered in rocks and gravel.

This morning was the first time I have hiked in several years. I'm preparing for a Colorado hunt trip so I thought I better start getting used to hiking and get in shape. I loaded my pack, approx. 25lbs, and took my lab. I found this trail to be dog friendly. The terrain was not bad with some gradual inclines and descents. The trail itself is made of dirt/gravel mix. I grew up down the street from this place and this is what all the trails are naturally made up of. Along the way there are a few rock formations, dry creek beds, and large indigenous trees to enjoy. There were some man made steps in one section, a few bridges/creeks and a overview of Beaver Lake. I took my fold up fishing rod and a few lures and enjoyed the time there. They also put a few nice park benches at the overview that you can sit, rest and enjoy the scenery.

At about 3/4 of a mile from the trail head it comes to a 'Y'. I took the left, which made the view of the lake a 3 mile hike. If you go right at the 'Y' the lake is only a 1/2 mile further or so. I enjoyed this because the majority of the hike was over by the time I was rewarded with the lake view.

Overall, this was a good workout for me. I enjoyed it and will do this again soon and bring my family to enjoy this with me.