Pigeon Roost Trail

Pigeon Roost Trail is a 8.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Rogers, Arkansas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail is a double stacked-loop trail; there is a short loop of approximately 4 miles for day hiking and a longer loop of 8.5 miles for overnight use. Primitive camping is allowed on the longer loop at five designated campsites only. Pigeon Roost Trail is in a figure eight shape that is made up by two loops, Dry Creek Loop 4.1 miles and Huckleberry Loop 4.3 miles. Please contact the Ranger at the phone number listed below to determine if there will be a campsite available. The trail is fairly short for an overnight trail, but there are several hills to climb which give the trail its difficulty rating.

My kids and I enjoyed this trail!

nice trail, well marked, solitude!

Nice trail. Several distance options to choose, so good trail for pretty much anyone.

Excellent trail for beginners. It is a little rocky at times, but if you’re paying attention there is no problem. We hiked in counterclockwise to campsite 3. Very easy lake access, so be sure to bring a water filter if you’re staying overnight. Hiked out the next morning. Trail took a total of about 4 hours, but we stopped several times to rest and take in a sight or two.

Campsite was nice. There are two pads for tents at site 3 as well as a lantern/trash pole. A nice fire pit too with plenty of firewood within walking distance. The campsite is off the trail a little bit, but with all of the leaves down you can see traffic from the trail. I’d suspect in spring or summer the leaves would make it feel more secluded.

Great little overnight hike. Trail was very well marked and clean. Was able to catch a couple pictures of a bald eagle while staying at the campsite across the lake. Staff at the state park where very nice and helpful.

Trail is in really good condition. The warm day made for some soggy areas but nothing drastic. Great hike, well maintained, can't wait to go again!

Very easy hike-can be done quickly too. We did all 8.4 in 4 hours today. We were hoping to see some big birds/eagles but I guess 20 degree weather isn't for them. Very well maintained, too short for backpacking in my opinion since it's a quick easy trail. Also, there aren't great water sources for backpacking. It's a good ways to the lake from the campsites and it's a lake so the water isn't flowing. If you have good filtration gear you're fine. Sight #1 and #3 are the only ones with lake views FYI. Good place for a backpacking beginner.

Well marked, well maintained, rolling terrain, and a couple of cool views of the lake. Took a little over 4 hours to complete 9 miles, with a couple of photography stops along the way.

Went today with my boyfriend. Did the 4 mile loop. The "overlook" isn't what we would consider an overlook. All in all an enjoyable hike and we would like to return and do the full 8 miles. I'm sure when fall foliage is at its peak it's beautiful.
Perfect temps today, low 60's and a light breeze. Took 1.5 hours.

Boring.

What a nice little hike. The trail is clearly marked and pretty clean. It took us about 3.5 hours to complete the trail while we stopped briefly along the way.

Great hike. We'd like to take this trail again in the summer. Rocky path. Lots of time alone on the trail. We always bring a bag to pick up trash on the trails, and this trail was very clean

Nice hike! We started around 11:00 and ended at 3:00 or so. We brought a small snack with us and enjoyed it by the lake. The hike was never especially difficult, just a lot of gradual ups and downs.

The weather was perfect (in the upper 70s), and there was plenty of shade from the leaves which haven't yet changed. As other reviews have said it is super rocky and there are plenty of bugs. Be sure to bring/apply some bug spray and wear the appropriate footwear.

The trail was pretty much up and down, so I will need some more work outs since it kicked my behind going uphill so much. Other than the problem was me it was a pleasant well marked trail with a view of a part of the lake. My dog loved it.

I liked it. Was very pretty. The trail was well marked and easy to follow. Agreed on all the comments about hard-soled shoes, it was very rocky. Lots of webs and spiders to watch out for as you're walking. Got my heart rate up on my way out, as it was uphill. There was a nice little lake area and some benches to sit at. Very calm and serene. I got pelted in the face by ginormous flying bugs, but past that, I survived ;D. Overall, very good hike.

The map on this app doesn't show the connection between the two loops, yes there are TWO loops. You can do only 4.4 miles if you want.

It was ordinary, thus three stars

Great trail! Ticks were bad, and the campsites are all gathered pretty close together.

Took my dog over this trail last week. We did this on a Friday morning so there were very few people on the trail until the afternoon.
The trail is very rocky so a hard soled shoe is advised. There were lots of spider webs in the trail. I ended up picking up a stick to hold in front of me to catch them before they hit me in the face.

I had about 30 pounds of gear in case I ended up being out over night, but I did not need anything close to the estimated eight hours to get back to the car at what felt like a steady but leisurely pace. I even let the dog play in the lake for 20-30 minutes.

Start to finish we took four hours and 26 minutes. It was a good hike, but the rockiness of the trail did bother my knees near the end.

Super way to wile away a summer afternoon. Well-marked without feeling like a freeway, lots of shade and plenty of solitude! 1/3 (I think?) of the way through is a perfect place to slip right into the lake. There's a gravelly slope comfortable to sit on up to your waist and lounge. This trail.only achieves "moderate" status because it is long. There are enough inclines that you feel like you're getting your heart rate up but not so.much that you gasp for breath. Be sure to take a breather when you get to the sign 1.5 miles away from the trailhead on your way back, because the last mile is gradually uphill. I spent 5 hours here, with leisurely breaks and a swim, and covered the entire 8 miles loop.

I hiked this on a very warm day (90 degrees with 83% humidity.) The trail is just hard enough to make you run out of breathe about the time it flattens out again. I saw dozens of white-tail deer but unfortunately all saw me first. Only saw one rat snake that was maybe 1 foot long. I stayed at campsite 3 and it was only a short little hike straight down the hill to the lake. Make sure you bring extra water. I brought my filter but the lake was very warm. Found a nice rock that was about knee deep that I could stand on to do a little fishing. I caught a couple largemouth bass that were not keepers and had an alligator gar follow my lure within 2 feet of me. After my pup and myself were home we picked off 55 ticks (not counting the ones I pulled off on the trail) so make sure you take bug spray. I would have given this trail 5 stars but the ticks were ridiculous.

Did the Dry Creek Loop for the first time since winter time and it was nice and shaded for almost the entire trail. Trail is well maintained but I made sure to use sunscreen and insect repellent anyway. It took me two hours to complete the 4.2 mile loop and mostly saw birds and squirrels. Moderate trail but I did stop to catch my breath a few times as I'm used to running on flat, paved trails this year. Nice change and equally great workout.

Today I did a solo hike on the Pigeon Roost Trail at Hobbs State Park. It was a beautiful hike through pine and hardwood forest, down to the lake, and looping back. I didn't see any golden eagles as I did last time I was in the area, but I did see a few whitetail deer.

This trail is rated as moderate, due to the frequent hills. I took the 4 mile loop instead of the 8 mile one (which is great for overnight backpacking). I walked 4.12 miles in almost two hours. Max elevation gain was 594 feet, and elevation loss was 574 feet. My average heart rate was 100, with a max of 125, and I burned 647 calories. I was tired by the time I got back to the trail head. If you take this trail, I recommend that you wear thick-soled hiking boots with high ankles, because much of the trail is covered in rocks and gravel.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

This morning was the first time I have hiked in several years. I'm preparing for a Colorado hunt trip so I thought I better start getting used to hiking and get in shape. I loaded my pack, approx. 25lbs, and took my lab. I found this trail to be dog friendly. The terrain was not bad with some gradual inclines and descents. The trail itself is made of dirt/gravel mix. I grew up down the street from this place and this is what all the trails are naturally made up of. Along the way there are a few rock formations, dry creek beds, and large indigenous trees to enjoy. There were some man made steps in one section, a few bridges/creeks and a overview of Beaver Lake. I took my fold up fishing rod and a few lures and enjoyed the time there. They also put a few nice park benches at the overview that you can sit, rest and enjoy the scenery.

At about 3/4 of a mile from the trail head it comes to a 'Y'. I took the left, which made the view of the lake a 3 mile hike. If you go right at the 'Y' the lake is only a 1/2 mile further or so. I enjoyed this because the majority of the hike was over by the time I was rewarded with the lake view.

Overall, this was a good workout for me. I enjoyed it and will do this again soon and bring my family to enjoy this with me.

Monday, April 10, 2017

I consider myself a "regular" in the Hobbs Conservation Area, and I've reviewed this trail before, so I'll keep it short. This trail, like others in Hobbs, has almost zero "wow" factor. However, there's a lot to see in terms of plant and animal life, and the trails are really nice and well-maintained. Don't make a special trip out of it, but if you live nearby or are in the area, they are worth checking out.

As for updates since my last visit:
1. That big tree blocking the trail (see previous reviews) has been cleared! Woot!
2. Hobbs will start taking reservations for camping sites soon, according to posted signs. Visit their website before you come to camp.
3. The Dogwoods are in their full glory right now! If you love them as I do, you're going to really enjoy this hike. They're everywhere.

Sunday, April 09, 2017

I suppose I ended up feeling kind of "meh" about my whole experience, but don't get me wrong, it's a nice trail and all.

The views you get of the lake are nice. Really nice, in fact. You can even walk down to the lake if you want (unless someone is camping down there). However, if you're walking the trail counter clockwise, like I did, you blow through your scenic locations in the first few miles and then all you're left with are the woods. I mean, they're nice woods and all, but they don't really offer a lot of views, ya know? Sink holes were pretty nifty, though. I might recommend hiking clockwise for the best sight seeing order.

The vast majority of this trail is covered in gravel and it's not just little tiny rocks were talking about here. Whole stretches are covered in rocks that are an inch to about two and a half inches wide. Not sure why they chose gravel or if it has any purpose other than making it hard to walk on. You can probably tell that I personally don't like walking on gravel (or large loose rocks as the case may be) for eight miles. But, who knows, maybe you're into that kind of thing. A real gravel connoisseur. In which case... have a blast.

There are actually a few trees that have fallen onto the trail. Some are pretty big and some not so big. Either way, I think they're kind of fun. Some you can go around, some you have to climb over. They add something to think about, a problem to solve. They are in no way difficult to get past nor do they negatively affect the trail.

I love how the loops are set up on this trail. You've got four different ways you can augment your trip depending on what you're looking to get out of it. Dry Creek Loop (short), Huckleberry Loop (medium), Dry + Huckleberry (long), and the Figure Eight (extra long). You could also just hike in counter clockwise until you get to the benches that overlook the lake if you want a nice place to eat lunch.

Again, it's a nice trail. You definitely shouldn't avoid it or anything. If you're looking for trails in the area or are looking for ones of a particular length then you should absolutely give Pigeon Roost a try. Though, I can say that with the gravel and lack of really interesting sights to see ultimately land this trail firmly in my "One and Done" category. Unless I come back for camping, which I might do, just because the camp sites aren't all that far in and they feel pretty isolated.

Saturday, April 01, 2017

I really enjoy doing the Dry Creek Lane early on a Saturday morning to start my weekend. Not to strenuous and it gives me a chance to challenge myself with my pace.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Trail is well marked and easy to follow. You are rewarded with beautiful views of the lake.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

My wife, her two siblings, and I just completed the trail this morning. We stayed 1 night at campsite 5. Just a heads up, make sure you start early if you're camping. Campsites are first come first serve and this weekend all the sites were taken. All sites have tent pads and fire rings so that's a plus! The white trail maps at the sign in/bulletin board have a description of each site so you can pick based on that. Also don't be a dingus and decide to blaze your own path to the lake for water from camps 3-5. Following the main trail going clockwise will take you right down to a spot where it is pretty easy to get water. I, on the other hand, got to climb back up a nice steep 60 degree incline with my 5 gallon collapsible jug. Anyway onto the trail itself. It's of course 8.4 miles around the longer Huckleberry Loop and 4.2 around the Dry Creek Loop. Heading clockwise around you meet just one relatively steep incline before camp close after the first fork. Other inclines are either very gradual or short in length. Once past camp, there will be a series of 3 inclines going up the side of a hill then down on its opposite side for 3 hills. None of the inclines are really too harsh throughout. Some beginners may feel a good burn the last 0.7 miles back to the trailhead. Also, if you do decide to go counter-clockwise, you can expect to feel the burn at the first long incline you meet. So I would suggest going clockwise to avoid that major uphill. For the most part though, the trail is pretty flat. This was the second backpacking trip for my wife and I, and the first for my in-laws. I believe it to be a great hike for beginners. As far as the views go, the north side of the trail goes through forest along the side of multiple hills and sometimes coming to the top of them. Once you get to camp and onward you will see many more views of the lake, including a really beautiful view with benches about 1.2 miles from the trailhead. Also some pretty cool sinkholes are just under a mile past campsite 5. It was a great hike and I plan on doing it again!

Monday, January 09, 2017

Great views on lake side. Took us three hours to do the 8 mile loop- pretty easy terrain and relatively flat...