Pea Ridge National Military Battlefield Loop

Pea Ridge National Military Battlefield Loop is a 6.6 mile loop trail located near Garfield, Arkansas that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

wheelchair friendly

This is the only Unchanged part of the Trail of Tears. This can be hiked,biked,our auto toured at proper times for a small fee. There are Horse trails that go through the Park as well,You can get a map of these at the Visitor center.I have hiked and rode this hoseback and the trails are very easy to manuver,the scenery is awesome all times of the year.

if you like history you'll enjoy the walk. it is basically a flat and paved surface even when you choose to go into the woods for a little while it doesn't appear to be a long stretch.

This is a nice walk in the woods, though it's not much a of a "hike." Be warned that, at this time of year, much of the designated hiking trail is overgrown to the point of being impassible. You can stick to the paved road and service roads and still have a nice trek, with the added bonus of some interesting and well-presented history. The open fields and wooden fences make for one of the nicest views in Northwest Arkansas on a clear day. Wildflowers, butterflies, and various birds were abundant on our visit.

As is true everywhere this year, ticks are numerous and ferocious.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

We didn't walk the whole trail today, just wandered through the field past the cannons, then up to the lookout. We did follow the trail from the lookout, along the ridge - lovely! No issues with tics, and we did scramble through the tall grass and some wooded areas off-trail. I will definitely be back to explore the whole loop.

Sunday, January 22, 2017

The tick issues others have reported on is due to deer ticks, wear pantyhose under your garb and use repellent and you'll be fine. Stick to Military Road, paved multi-use road around the park, and ticks are not an issue. My husband and I logged 7.2 miles today (Saturday, 21 JAN 2017) sticking to the road, completing the route in 2.5 hours, which isn't bad considering our age, beat up bodies and general just wanting to enjoy the walk without competing against the clock.

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Great for history, not so much for hiking. Make sure to wear tick repellant as this place is INFESTED. every single time I've gone! It IS however a fantastic place to ride loops on the bicycle for training!

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Easy trail, lots of history, take your time

Monday, August 15, 2016

More of a walking trail, than hiking. This area has tons of history along the battlefield.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

tick infested. 2 steps in 3 ticks. 5 mins in probably over 30. would have been a nice trail had it not been absolutely riddled with ticks.

Monday, September 21, 2015

This park has a driving trail and some horse trails. We walked on the horse trails and drove on the driving trails and went off trail a little to look at interesting things. The visitors center is great and the movie about the battle interesting. While walking on the horse trail near the creek I found and unfired 69 cal Minnie Ball. When I turned it in to the ranger at the visitor's center I thought she was more excited that I was. A good day.

Monday, September 14, 2015

An overlooked gem.

scenic driving
Friday, August 07, 2015

Great place for a family outing.

Thursday, March 19, 2015

We had a great hike,, took our 5 yr old grand daughter and she just loved it

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

I have completed this Battlefield loop trail by both car and bicycle. Besides all the historical markers, at one point, there is a place to pull over and park for a scenic overlook. Informational signs tell you how many miles and direction to neighboring cities. Roundtop has another scenic overlook, from a viewing shelter, on a short walking trail from the overlook parking area. I remember finding a very small cave on a short trail behind the Elkhon Tavern.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Loved this area and spending time here . Great day!

Thursday, January 02, 2014

In addition to the vistor's center and historical buildings, a must is the Headwater Creek Nature Trail. It is a great scenic hike.

Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Fun and easy little trip. Great spot for beginners in biking. We had a picnic on the trip as well. I only rated 3 stars as the scenery becomes "boring" and repetitive after a while. I will do it again in the fall as there are trees everywhere with some great scenic shots.

scenic driving
Sunday, March 11, 2012

A nice scenic drive. Scenery is common. Markers along the way tell the story of the Civil War. An interesting place from a historical point of view.

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Only rated a 3 star because of commonality of the scenery, would rate a 5 star for history. Easy hike through Pea Ridge National historic sites. Hike focuses on the history of the Civil War Battlefield. Several historic markers, we took our time studying the history. Easy bike trip. Great family outing. We had picnic lunch on the trail. Entry fee to the park.

Sunday, April 23, 2017