Pam's Grotto Waterfall Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(107)
Ozark National Forest

Pam's Grotto Waterfall Trail is a 0.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hagarville, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and rock climbing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 0.8 miles Elevation Gain: 206 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Note: Users have reported that cell service is not reliable in the area. We recommend you download offline maps before getting to the trail. Pam's Grotto Waterfall Trail climbs the forested hillside to large sandstone bluffs then veers left along the base of the bluffs and ends at the spectacular wet weather 37' tall waterfall surrounded by house size boulders.

The trail head was kind of hard to find since we had no cell service but we finally found PAM in yellow sprayed on the side of the road near the ditch. There was a gravel parking area across the road which was convenient. My family LOVED this hike my four year old hiked it mostly by herself with some help when we were navigating the bigger rocks. My husband and I hiked wearing our 2 year old on our backs and that made it easier for him. Nice short hike with amazing sites to see.

We could not find the trailhead as there were zero signs and zero cell service for us to check this app. We had no idea there was no cell service, or I would have downloaded the maps. Either way, having no signs with any directions is ridiculous for such a popular spot. We drove two and a half hours to see nothing. A wild boar was roaming near the side of the road, so that was pretty neat.

You have to walk downhill from the parking gravel (which is right past Haw Creek Campground) to get to the start of the trail. You will be walking on the side of the road for a while and then it’s on the opposite side of the road from the gravel lot. Look down for a yellow spray paint that says “PAM” on the street with an arrow. If you see the Haw Creek Campground sign, you’re right around the corner from that gravel lot. Just keep going. Overall, steep hike but very short. Beautiful waterfall and kids had so much fun swimming in it. Our dog had some issues with the rocks so if you have a medium sized Lab or something, be prepared to help them. It’s not for little ones unless you want to carry them.

Nice hike!

The trailhead starts at the exact gps location. It is across the street from an unmarked small campsite on the river. There is a white arrow that says Pam on the road pointing the way. This is a very steep climb! Stay to the left and follow the rock wall to the falls! After all of the rain the waterfall was ROARING! Such a beautiful place and worth the trek! Rocks are slippery!

The gps will take you to a very small campground the trail starts across the rd from there. Short hike up hill before coming to rock walls, we walked along the walls and then turned left to go to the falls. It is a scramble down for sure, we had a seven yr old with us and he made it just fine but I wouldn’t say this is kid friendly. Totally worth it!!!

Beautiful trail with a great waterfall! It was muddy and slick after a rain but a great time to go to see a full waterfall.

I actually found what I think is an older trail. It had a lot of blow down but..I still enjoyed it.. it followed the creek up to Pam's Grotto Falls. on the way there many more smaller falls and emerald pools and mossy rocks. :-) it was a more scenic route. we enjoyed it.

Awesome!

Wonderful falls area at the bottom of the hike!

Great trail. Grotto was awesome and very scenic. Some uphill at first then a scramble down to the grotto. Was flowing nicely on 1/13/20. TH is hard to see and is marked with yellow paint on ground. Tree is also marked with a yellow arrow. Parked to west and walked along HWY to get to TH

Great day to hike. Waterfall is really nice after recent rain.

Very cool trail ... lots of rock formations/bluffs on your way to the grotto. Well worth the trip! The rock scrambles aren’t difficult IMO (I’m 62 yrs old). I was solo today, and never saw a soul the entire time while in this trail! Heaven!

This is quite a hidden gem. I uploaded a couple of pictures of the trailhead. It was difficult to find. Google maps was off. At the trailhead someone has spay painted the side of the road and a tree to help out. Thank you to that. Once you find the trail it is well marked with stones on both side leading uphill. Once you get to the rock formations you can go right to explore or left to continue to the grotto. There are many small caves and overhangs along both paths. When you get to the boulders if you make your way right beside the cliff it is easier. There are loose rocks and water will drip on you a little. The grotto is gorgeous.

Beautiful! Pay attention to directions as trailhead is easy to miss. As previously posted, definitely uphill to area then boulder scrambling required to get to grotto. Flowing nicely yesterday 1-4-20. Might be difficult to do with small children.

Nice waterfall. Lots of water. Pretty difficult hike. Uphill almost all the way there and then a difficult bolder scramble to get the the base of the falls. Much easier on the way back.

We parked at the small turnout or parking lot. To actually get to the trail cross the road and stay right of the creek. There is a tree marked with a yellow arrow and yellow spray paint on the highway that says Pam’s. We crossed the road and started up the creek before we found the actual trail. Have it 5 stars because there has been some rain and the water fall was flowing.

Hikes on 10/26 with our Great Dane/German Shepard Mix dog. She was too scared to climb over all the big boulders to actually get to the waterfall, but patiently waited for us. The waterfall was just a slow trickle but still very cool to see.

I give five stars to anything that gets me a waterfall ;-) this was a fun hike with a small challenging (for me) rock scramble to get to the actual grotto area. Beautiful, secluded spot to just enjoy the scenery. We had the whole place to ourselves for the afternoon and I was in heaven. As noted, the trailhead is very easy to miss but someone has spray painted the road with a yellow “Pam” where the trailhead is located. Once you get to the bluffs we found it easy to lose the trail, just stay to the left and by the bluffs and you’ll be fine :-)

Easy trail to follow once you find the trail head. A bit of rock scrambling to get to the base of the falls.