Pack Rat Falls Trail is a 0.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Clarksville, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.7 miles Elevation Gain: 118 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Pack Rat Falls Trails is a bushwhack up a small canyon with a wet weather creek leading to a 24 ft. tall waterfall. It is jam packed with small cascades and moss covered rocks. The trailhead is at the southeast end of Haws Creek NF primitive campground. You head east on the Ozark Highland trail and immediately head up the drainage to the right. The fun begins immediately as you head up the creek bed. The falls generally flow during the late fall or spring months (raining season) because it is a wet weather creek flowing through the small canyon. Please note that the area is subject to flooding, please check that the trail is open before going.

closed

Didn’t get to this fall as road into area was closed due to road in flooded. Gates closed

Great trail! Was pleasantly surprised. The trail is pretty easy to follow but a few times I had to stop and look where to go. You will cross the creek a few times and the rocks can be slippery so be careful. There were some fallen trees so had to duck under some and climb over some. The payoff is well worth the hike.

Awesome trail. I went to Pack Rat falls. Also a great fall

Was surprised at this one—beautiful! Be prepared to get your feet wet, as you have to cross creek several times. Rocks can be slippery but worth the effort in the end. Was flowing 1-4-20.

Theres not much water right now. Aside from the crazy amount of mosquitoes (i didn’t get bit they just kept buzzing in my ear) it was great.

Fri May 31 2019

Awesome beautiful views just a slippery hike

Sat May 25 2019

Had to do this one as I know the people this is named for. They are as beautiful of people as the trail. I’m honored to have known them and I’m glad they are honored in a manner that is befitting of their work.

Fri May 24 2019

The trail starts near campsite #6. Once you get to the creek you may as well walk up it. There are dry trail spots but overall there really isnt much of a trail at all. Watch your footing it was slippery. Kids can do it but it is more difficult for walkers to about age 5. My 4 yr old struggled on it in spots but the 6 year old we had with us did well. Took my almost 2 year old in a carry pack but it was more difficult due to the slippery rocks so proceed with caution with kids.

Sun Mar 03 2019

Fri Nov 09 2018

Find the trail at the back of the grounds, it’s easy to get to the lower falls. If you’re up to it, there are many other falls upstream that will require some sure footing and boulder hopping. Be careful crossing on fallen trees as they are often waterlogged and rotting. Really fun area to explore. Haw Creek is an excellent camping area (fee for camping goes up to 10$ spring 2019) and does require a water crossing in your vehicle. Don’t let it scare you, I crossed in my Toyota Yaris when the water was touching the bottom of the poles on either side of the road meant to measure flooding. Probably wouldn’t have tried it if it were much more than that, could definitely feel the car struggling against the current on the far side. Be mindful and keep an eye on the weather.

Mon Sep 03 2018

I think I walked on the creek bed part more than a trail. It was a little confusing at first, but I think the trail weaves beside the creek bed and across it. I had to be careful because the rocks in the creek bed where really slippery. Do not push off the rocks with your feet. Just try to pick your feet up. I found that helped me not slip as much. When I got to the end, I saw someone had left flowers on a tree trunk. In the picture I posted you will notice that I attached the white roses I found to my backpack. It was a pleasant surprise to find white roses like that.

Fri May 18 2018

Nice Little trail with a good payout on the end.

Sun Apr 29 2018

Love this place

Sat Mar 24 2018

Great fall great hike! Fun hike to start the day with plenty of water at falls

Wed Mar 07 2018

This fall was amazing when you got there. It is reached by going into the Hawes Creek Fall Recreation Area behind site 6 is the trail. Once you reach the creek you will be going back and forth across it the entire way. Hiking poles don't work for you if you leave them in the

Tue Sep 05 2017

Narrow, not necessarily kid friendly. Beautiful. Don't venture off trail.

Wed Apr 05 2017

beautiful hiking.

Tue Mar 21 2017

We hiked this trail today with 4 kids (16-8) and loved it. A few tricky spots for little legs but totally worth it. We saw waterfalls, butterflies, frogs, spiders, thankfully no snakes! I highly recommend. We will be back!

Sat Mar 12 2016

Boulders and water....was a great little trip. Not many people bother to take this trail. And for those that choose, there is another waterfall just a bit further up(little more difficult to get to) that is really nice too!

Thu Mar 26 2015

We hiked this today with our kids (6,3, &1 yrs old). Trail leaves from back of campground and is pretty much just head up the creek. Kids did good with plenty of supervision and going slowly..be prepared to zig zag back and forth across creek a few times..some slick rocks and mud.

Thu Apr 10 2014

Beautiful hike but tough for me. There was still ice and snow left but so beautiful.

Mon Mar 17 2014

Fabulous short bushwack hike. There is a trail part of the way and then you have to bushwack up the creek until you reach the waterfall. We enjoyed this hike a LOT!!! Very pretty little hike. Really cool hollowed out tree that you must look for also!!!

Sun Mar 02 2014

Go after a rain and enjoy the waterfall.

Wed Mar 20 2013

Pack Rat Falls trail is a great hike up a small drainage. It is absolutely gorgeous. It is best hiked during late fall or during the spring. It would also be great anytime of the year. There is this one large Sycamore tree with a cavity taller than the average man. The stream is strewn with moss covered boulders. It is a treat to behold.

Sat Apr 27 2019