Pack Rat Falls Trail is a 0.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Clarksville, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Pack Rat Falls Trails is a bushwhack up a small canyon with a wet weather creek leading to a 24 ft. tall waterfall. It is jam packed with small cascades and moss covered rocks. The trailhead is at the southeast end of Haws Creek NF primitive campground. You head east on the Ozark Highland trail and immediately head up the drainage to the right. The fun begins immediately as you head up the creek bed. The falls generally flow during the late fall or spring months (raining season) because it is a wet weather creek flowing through the small canyon.

Find the trail at the back of the grounds, it’s easy to get to the lower falls. If you’re up to it, there are many other falls upstream that will require some sure footing and boulder hopping. Be careful crossing on fallen trees as they are often waterlogged and rotting. Really fun area to explore. Haw Creek is an excellent camping area (fee for camping goes up to 10$ spring 2019) and does require a water crossing in your vehicle. Don’t let it scare you, I crossed in my Toyota Yaris when the water was touching the bottom of the poles on either side of the road meant to measure flooding. Probably wouldn’t have tried it if it were much more than that, could definitely feel the car struggling against the current on the far side. Be mindful and keep an eye on the weather.

I think I walked on the creek bed part more than a trail. It was a little confusing at first, but I think the trail weaves beside the creek bed and across it. I had to be careful because the rocks in the creek bed where really slippery. Do not push off the rocks with your feet. Just try to pick your feet up. I found that helped me not slip as much. When I got to the end, I saw someone had left flowers on a tree trunk. In the picture I posted you will notice that I attached the white roses I found to my backpack. It was a pleasant surprise to find white roses like that.

Nice Little trail with a good payout on the end.

Love this place

Great fall great hike! Fun hike to start the day with plenty of water at falls

This fall was amazing when you got there. It is reached by going into the Hawes Creek Fall Recreation Area behind site 6 is the trail. Once you reach the creek you will be going back and forth across it the entire way. Hiking poles don't work for you if you leave them in the

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Narrow, not necessarily kid friendly. Beautiful. Don't venture off trail.

Wednesday, April 05, 2017

beautiful hiking.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

We hiked this trail today with 4 kids (16-8) and loved it. A few tricky spots for little legs but totally worth it. We saw waterfalls, butterflies, frogs, spiders, thankfully no snakes! I highly recommend. We will be back!

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Boulders and water....was a great little trip. Not many people bother to take this trail. And for those that choose, there is another waterfall just a bit further up(little more difficult to get to) that is really nice too!

Thursday, March 26, 2015

We hiked this today with our kids (6,3, &1 yrs old). Trail leaves from back of campground and is pretty much just head up the creek. Kids did good with plenty of supervision and going slowly..be prepared to zig zag back and forth across creek a few times..some slick rocks and mud.

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Beautiful hike but tough for me. There was still ice and snow left but so beautiful.

Monday, March 17, 2014

Fabulous short bushwack hike. There is a trail part of the way and then you have to bushwack up the creek until you reach the waterfall. We enjoyed this hike a LOT!!! Very pretty little hike. Really cool hollowed out tree that you must look for also!!!

Sunday, March 02, 2014

Go after a rain and enjoy the waterfall.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pack Rat Falls trail is a great hike up a small drainage. It is absolutely gorgeous. It is best hiked during late fall or during the spring. It would also be great anytime of the year. There is this one large Sycamore tree with a cavity taller than the average man. The stream is strewn with moss covered boulders. It is a treat to behold.

recorded rat trap