Ouachita National Recreation Trail

Ouachita National Recreation Trail is a 217.1 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Roland, Arkansas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

Ouachita Trail is a point-to-point trail located near Roland, Arkansas. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

Started at Lodge going west, 24 miles in two days. Great trip.

Great

Great trail! We hiked from Horsetheif Picnic Area to Lake Wilhelmina Vista, stayed in a couple of shelters, and set up camp in the woods 1 night. The trail is generally well maintained and easy to follow, though a little overgrown in some areas. Water availability was not an issue on this portion of the trail but I'm sure it could be in the summer.

in the area that the trail hits the Kimichi River there are 7 different crossings for which water shoes are recommended. I'm sure water levels vary seasonally but in March it was just high enough to require taking your shoes off to cross, kinda a pain to do 7 different times. Would've been great if I had my water sandals to wear through that whole portion of the trail. It's a beautiful part of the trail.

The shelters on this path are pretty awesome. I recommend staying at one if it fits your schedule. On the Ok side of the portion of the trail there were primitive campsites set up on level ground with sitting rocks and rock fire rings every couple of miles.

All and all, this is a great long dostance trail and I will definetly be back!

Beautiful view at the Vista today.

I have done smaller sections around lake Maumelle and also the section between highway 7 and highway 298. I generally have the trail to myself which is a bonus for me (I ran into a pair of mountain bikers one time through the roughly 40 miles I have hiked). The majority of people, both in and out of Arkansas, are going to flock to the Ozarks in northern Arkansas which is a reason why you have the area to yourself quite often. It is also a clean trail as I have very rarely seen trash in it.

I enjoy the lake Maumelle section (east terminus is at the Pinnacle Mountain state park visitor center and runs around 22 miles along the north shore of the lake until it hits highway 10 before heading west to highway 9). The lake is the Little Rock water supply, so it has quite a few rules about what goes on around the lake. The water company owns it plus 9,000 more acres surrounding it (totaling 17,900 acres). Due to the rules, the land surrounding can be secluded and is a great place to see waterfowl including Eagles. There is no camping on the land surrounding the lake. There is a spur off the land to where a family has set up a campsite (Penny lane campsite). The spillway section is also neat when the lake is overflowing. There is also a neat beaver pond on the west side off highway 113.

Lake Ouachita is also a beautiful place. The section just north of the lake has several lookout points where you get good views of the lake. You can sometimes see the lake covered in fog with the tips of some islands poking through.

When you start at the highway trailheads, it is amazing how quickly the trees muffle out the roar of the cars. There are neat sections of forest all throughout the trail; too many to list! Where the trail intersects highway 300 the second time has the biggest pine tree I have ever seen. You will also find wildlife ponds in the middle of nowhere. Several areas will also have no cell service.

Several long sections of the trail will spend a lot of time on ridges so you get good views across the valleys to the next set of ridges (the Ouachitas are unique as they run east to west and are the highest points between the Rockies and Appalachians). There are several areas where you look up and down the mountain and do not see the top or bottom (trees night have something to do with this

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Friday, September 16, 2016

Friday, June 17, 2016

Very over growing in places, lots of trees on the trail. A few new cabins which is nice. Needs water tanks on trail in the summer, some parts you can't get water for 20 miles. Beautiful, difficult, and secluded. I didn't pass anyone and I hiked parts of it for 4 days.

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

My brother and I are about 1/3 of the way through our goal of completing the whole trail in 23 mile segments. Started in Talimena State Park and headed East. It has been an awesome experience with varied terrain so far. I would definitely recommend this trail.

Saturday, May 07, 2016

Pretty gnarly trail! My dog and I loved it!

Friday, April 22, 2016

hiked from highway 9 to highway 7. around 32 miles in 3 days taking it easy. its a tough trail but the views are amazing. if your new to backpacking and want a trail worth the walk this is a great start.

Friday, January 29, 2016

The Old Military Road / Boardstand Path/ Ouachita Mountain Trail collectively form a looped hike of about 23 miles, overlapping with many other routes such as the Choctaw Nation Trail and Panorama Vista, through Talimena State Park—and is argued to be the best hike through the hills of Oklahoma. There are a couple instances towards the end that can be confusing: during the final decent to Talihina State Park, there are intermittent yellow blazes because the INT criss-crosses the Ouachita trail several times, but will close on its self where the Ouachita Trail intersects the Old Military Trail. All state park offices were closed except for central location; we saw no water sources on the route, mostly overcast and cold with strong winds in more open areas/higher elevation. Took us about 10 hours to complete. Not the best scenery in the winter, of course, but still very enjoyable.

Tuesday, December 01, 2015