North Sylamore Creek Trail

North Sylamore Creek Trail is a 22.8 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Mountain View, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

whitewater kayaking

Directions from Mt. View: Turn north from Ark. 14 to Forest Road 1112. Eastern terminus: Turn right off Ark. 14, approximately 1/2 mile after turning west at the intersection of Ark. 14 and 5 at the community of Allison. Low traveled gravel road turns right off 14 in outside of first curve, as road starts up hill. Follow signs to trailhead for 1/2 mile on gravel road. Trailhead sign stands in the middle of an old pasture. The trail begins to the left and behind the sign, down by the creek bank.

North Sylamore Trail Review.
Loved it! I’ve written several reviews and have been
excited to finally get a piece of this trail and write a solid review! 3 of us backpacked from Cripple Turkey to Allison Nov 9 through Nov 12th. We used Sylamore Creek Camp ‭+1 (870) 585-2326‬ as transport to the trailhead. (Great service) we hit the trail head around 11:30 am and began. I preface by saying we normally push it hard but wanted a trip we could relax on. We hiked 10 miles Day 1 and camped at Barkshed Campground. When you cross the river bridge at Barkshed continue up the dirt road a few hundred feet turn left on first dirt road you will find a great Pavilion, outhouse, Trashcan and fire pit for night one camp. On this section it is up and down switchbacks most of the time (PACK LIGHT) I had 60lbs on my back and that sucked! Most of the entire trail is very rocky with what I call ankle breakers, rocks golf ball size to softballs. In the fall trail is leaf covered and the rocks are hidden (I hurt my ankle pretty bad in first 5 miles) this isn’t the most scenic section but still good. Lot of the trail is narrow and slanted down mountain so your ankles constantly taking a beating (good shoes are imperative and trek poles) No water on Day one so pack it in! DAY 2 (there is river water here to filter) we woke up Friday morning had breakfast and camp fire (temp around 34°) around noon we hit the trail and trekked approximately 5.1 miles to Gunter Springs. This section is pretty awesome. You hike up and over several bluffs as you can see in my pics. Just a very scenic hike. Very little water as most of the time as you are up high above the river. We only saw one rat snake on the trail and a chipmunk. Gunter Springs is a great little camping area. When you cross the river bridge you will see all the camping available. DAY 3 Gunter springs to Blanchard Springs, we did some side sight seeing so our mileage was nearly 7 miles. This was my FAVORITE section of the trail. The trail changes topography so much. You find the two biggest climbs on this Section with great Vista views. You can check out my recorded tracks I’ve labeled camp areas (not campgrounds) we wished we had know about. When coming down the mountain you will see a sign that says Blanchard Springs upper camp, that’s you! If you don’t take that trail you will walk an extra 1.5 miles plus a wet water crossing to get there. Great camping grounds with bathrooms, showers, and more. Here we hitched a ride in the back of someone’s truck up the mountain and did the Caverns Tour ($10.50 each) I highly recommend this. Amazing Caverns. Ask for Uncle Dale at the Caverns and tell him I sent you(he will know us as the 3 guys he gave a ride back to the campgrounds) he will say “Right On Brother” every other sentence haha. DAY 4 Blanchard to Allison was another incredible hike. You will go through Jungle, Forest, grassy lands, massive bluffs, and caves. Once you get into the rocky caves every corner is a more impressive cave or waterfall area (take time to take it all in) this Day was just over 6 miles for us! All in all it was a great trail. As always if you have questions I’d love to help you Chris (405) 201-5869 also checkout my other hikes at http://www.ChrisGeeAdventures.com

Gunner Pool to Barkshed. Good hike. Nice scenery. Overgrown in some areas but very manageable. Did not see another person on hike. Campgrounds at Gunner and Barkshed are great! Well taken care of!

The trail was clear up into about 100 yards then it was overgrown and we didn't see a marker after that. We ended up making our own way until we couldn't go any further which was almost 2 miles. We did find a place to camp which was beautiful. Drove 3 hours to hike 2 miles. I don't recommend it.

Completed Barkshed to Allison yesterday. The trails were very well maintained and we only ran into 4 humans on the trails! Please note: The total trip was 13.75 miles not 3.1 as shown on this site.
Camping on Sylamore Creek the night before was just the icing on the cake! The most beautiful hike in Arkansas!