North Sylamore Creek Trail

North Sylamore Creek Trail is a 22.8 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Mountain View, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

paddle sports

Five sections/six trailheads (southeast to northwest): Allison mile-0, Blanchard Springs Recreation Area mile 4.7, Gunner Pool Recreation Area mile 10, Barkshed Recreation Area mile 14, Cole Fork Road primitive trailhead mile 18.6, primitive trailhead Cripple Turkey Road (junction with Ozark Highlands Trail) mile 23. This delightful trail begins (SE terminus) near the White River at Allison, follows Sylamore Creek and tributaries 23 miles to a junction with the regional Ozark Highlands Trail (32 mile trail skirting the Leatherwoods Wilderness). The two trail networks combine for 55 miles of spectacular scenery, with off-trail bushwhacking to waterfalls and geologic curiosities. One of the finest and most scenic trails in Arkansas, and the whole southern U.S. This trail closely follows scenic Sylamore Creek, except when ascending ridges and limestone bluffs for memorable vistas of rugged Ozarks hills and hollows rolling to the horizon. Spring is emerald green with dogwoods, wildflowers and mayapples; autumn colors are spectacular, winter snow and icicles along Sylamore Creek are picturesque. Sylamore Creek is clear as glass, with gravel bottom and blue pools. Backpack camping is permitted along the trail, fee camping at the three developed campsites. Blanchard Springs Recreation area (park) is the site of Blanchard Springs Caverns, one of the best commercial caverns in America, operated by the US Forest Service.

Tough Trail but we really enjoyed it. It rained 2 days before we started so there were 2, shin high, water crossings before getting to Barkshed campsite the first night. You can filter water from those locations and also at Barkshed. Ticks we're in abundance! We lost count how many were on our bodies and inside our tent.

I’ve only done the Gunner Pool to Blanchard Springs section of this trail (and back in the same day) and it was something I’ll never forget! It was simply gorgeous and so varied, yet mild enough that we completed this trek in a day with one adult and 4 children (ages 10, 8, 6, 4). By the end we were all exhausted, in the best way possible, and had all taken turns carrying the 4 year old. Both campgrounds have toilets, but only Blanchard has showers and such. I can’t wait to take another bite out of this trail!

The whole 23 miles is wonderful, absolutely one of the best Arkansas trails, and also one of the finest trails in the southeastern U.S. Six trailheads make it perfect for day trips or camping in Forest Service campgrounds, and backpack camping is allowed.

We hiked from Barkshed to Gunner Pool and back. It was beautiful. Both recreation areas are a great place to bbq and relax after a rigorous hike

We walked about 3 miles in and then back (we had two kids and they got tired). . Good trail for young kids (5 and 7) with some slight climbs and some nice views of the hills and bluffs. Not the most scenic trail ever, but again, we didn’t go the entire way.

North Sylamore Trail Review.
Loved it! I’ve written several reviews and have been
excited to finally get a piece of this trail and write a solid review! 3 of us backpacked from Cripple Turkey to Allison Nov 9 through Nov 12th. We used Sylamore Creek Camp ‭+1 (870) 585-2326‬ as transport to the trailhead. (Great service) we hit the trail head around 11:30 am and began. I preface by saying we normally push it hard but wanted a trip we could relax on. We hiked 10 miles Day 1 and camped at Barkshed Campground. When you cross the river bridge at Barkshed continue up the dirt road a few hundred feet turn left on first dirt road you will find a great Pavilion, outhouse, Trashcan and fire pit for night one camp. On this section it is up and down switchbacks most of the time (PACK LIGHT) I had 60lbs on my back and that sucked! Most of the entire trail is very rocky with what I call ankle breakers, rocks golf ball size to softballs. In the fall trail is leaf covered and the rocks are hidden (I hurt my ankle pretty bad in first 5 miles) this isn’t the most scenic section but still good. Lot of the trail is narrow and slanted down mountain so your ankles constantly taking a beating (good shoes are imperative and trek poles) No water on Day one so pack it in! DAY 2 (there is river water here to filter) we woke up Friday morning had breakfast and camp fire (temp around 34°) around noon we hit the trail and trekked approximately 5.1 miles to Gunter Springs. This section is pretty awesome. You hike up and over several bluffs as you can see in my pics. Just a very scenic hike. Very little water as most of the time as you are up high above the river. We only saw one rat snake on the trail and a chipmunk. Gunter Springs is a great little camping area. When you cross the river bridge you will see all the camping available. DAY 3 Gunter springs to Blanchard Springs, we did some side sight seeing so our mileage was nearly 7 miles. This was my FAVORITE section of the trail. The trail changes topography so much. You find the two biggest climbs on this Section with great Vista views. You can check out my recorded tracks I’ve labeled camp areas (not campgrounds) we wished we had know about. When coming down the mountain you will see a sign that says Blanchard Springs upper camp, that’s you! If you don’t take that trail you will walk an extra 1.5 miles plus a wet water crossing to get there. Great camping grounds with bathrooms, showers, and more. Here we hitched a ride in the back of someone’s truck up the mountain and did the Caverns Tour ($10.50 each) I highly recommend this. Amazing Caverns. Ask for Uncle Dale at the Caverns and tell him I sent you(he will know us as the 3 guys he gave a ride back to the campgrounds) he will say “Right On Brother” every other sentence haha. DAY 4 Blanchard to Allison was another incredible hike. You will go through Jungle, Forest, grassy lands, massive bluffs, and caves. Once you get into the rocky caves every corner is a more impressive cave or waterfall area (take time to take it all in) this Day was just over 6 miles for us! All in all it was a great trail. As always if you have questions I’d love to help you Chris (405) 201-5869 also checkout my other hikes at http://www.ChrisGeeAdventures.com

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Gunner Pool to Barkshed. Good hike. Nice scenery. Overgrown in some areas but very manageable. Did not see another person on hike. Campgrounds at Gunner and Barkshed are great! Well taken care of!

Monday, September 04, 2017

The trail was clear up into about 100 yards then it was overgrown and we didn't see a marker after that. We ended up making our own way until we couldn't go any further which was almost 2 miles. We did find a place to camp which was beautiful. Drove 3 hours to hike 2 miles. I don't recommend it.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Monday, April 10, 2017

Completed Barkshed to Allison yesterday. The trails were very well maintained and we only ran into 4 humans on the trails! Please note: The total trip was 13.75 miles not 3.1 as shown on this site.
Camping on Sylamore Creek the night before was just the icing on the cake! The most beautiful hike in Arkansas!

Monday, January 09, 2017

Barkshed to Allison (at the White River) isn't 4 miles but a little over 13 total. Great hike. Barkshed to Gunner Pool to Blanchard then on to Allison!

Monday, December 12, 2016

Hiked from Blanchard Springs to Barkshed – plenty of variety and lots of great views! Parts of trail are right alongside creek, others are on top of bluffs. Hard to say whether segment from Blanchard to Gunner Pool or from Gunner Pool to Barkshed is more enjoyable.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Gorgeous scenery all around.

Monday, October 10, 2016

Needed some trail maintenance done, but the scenery was spectacular.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

The Sylamore never disappoints.

Monday, May 09, 2016

we camped right next to the waterfall. a very relaxing area so beautiful

Monday, February 08, 2016

Started at Blanchard and ended at Allison. Really fun trip. Lots of sights to see and the hike wasn't too hard. Allison has a creek you have to cross so be prepared for that.

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Excellent trail, scenic, plenty of access to water. Bluffs, waterfalls, creeks, cactus, various types of moss make this trail a pleasure to hike.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Beautiful hike. The terrain varies depending on the part of the trail that you're on.

Monday, September 28, 2015

This is a perfect hide-a-way for tent camping or just a day on the creek. If you camp here, just remember, there are bears. We come here just for a day trip to swim in the creek and relax.

Sunday, August 16, 2015

NF primitive for fee campground. Excellent grounds, adjacent to Sylamore Creek. Nice wooded, with water and pit toilet, many area hikes available.

Monday, April 06, 2015

I've been hiking here for 30+ years. Every section between campgrounds is different. Bring the bug spray and maybe take a side trip on an old road or cross country for a while. Winter through summer this is a great place.

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Nice place to get away. The descent to the park is a drive. Once there it is very pretty. Nice swimming holes for the summer heat. Trails along the bluffs offer a pretty view, and the hike covers different terrain.

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Only have to add you can swim here too. Hike upstream is along bluffs much of time. There are spots on the road in to pull off and camp to save some money. Taking off cross country is fun too, taking you to places your sure to be alone. Driving N on the forest road is nice too. Won't see a house for quite a while.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

This is a beautiful trail! The section between Barkshed and Gunners Pool is the best in my opinion (that's where all the pictures I uploaded came from). The trail changes so much in that 4 mile stretch. From hiking through boulders at the top of the hills near Gunners pool too lush forest valleys near Barkshed. Even on a busy memorial day weekend, I only saw one person on the trail the entire time. If you hike in the summer, don't make the same mistake I did and forget the bug spray. I bet I flicked off about 50 ticks. Luckily I found somebody at Barkshed that let me have some for the trail back. Hike this trail after a heavy rain and you will see some impressive pour-offs.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Several beautiful views of the creeks. If in the right time of the year, you could see some small waterfalls

Friday, December 21, 2012

One of my favorite trails! I have hiked this trails about 5 times and love it every time. You get to experience all kinds of landscapes. Sylamore creek flows year round so you are never too far from water and when the other creeks are flowing they make great swimming holes and rest areas. Also, you may decide to add the 9 mile cripple turkey extension and make the whole thing about 24 miles which can easily be done in 2 days or decide to take a week.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

My husband and I camped here a few summers back. Price was reasonable, it was a very nice place. Well taken care off. Beautiful place to relax. Very nice to walk around. Also a very beautiful creek to play in. Would definatly recomend to anyone looking to relax.

Friday, July 29, 2011

I have spent a lot of time in this area and it is very nice! Beautiful!