North Rim Trail, Mount Magazine State Park

North Rim Trail, Mount Magazine State Park is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Paris, Arkansas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Starting just west of the visitor center, this trail follows the north rim of the mountain to Cameron Bluff Overlook Drive. A spur connects with the western end of the Mossback Ridge Trail to create a 4.4-mile loop back to the visitor center. (Red Blazes), or it can be an out and back trail. It leads through hardwood forests, scrub oaks, and cedar glades across several tumbling creeks. Windswept bluffs overlook a rugged hollow, the Arkansas River Valley and the Ozark Plateau.

A good hike. A bit challenging for my two young ones but enjoyable.

My girlfriend and I hiked this trail a few weeks back. Was quite surprised of how badly the trail was grown up, I would have figured it being such a popular destination that it would have been better taken care of. Otherwise for the larger part it was a great hike with some really nice views. Would definitely hike it again.

The trail starts at the visitor's center, and looks a bit like an overgrown arboretum, but in a good way. the trail path is pretty clear and isn't marked until you cross another trail. Loved the views, moderate hike as some of it is uphill, lots of bees around the flowers.

Great trail

The hike was nice and cool it had multiple overlooks some of the trail had alot of rocks so be careful plus we crossed a creek twice where my dog cooled off. Over all happy
about the trail.

Beautiful.

I love this mountain!

Easy to follow with decent scenery.

Great trail. Very scenic. Trail runs along the north side of the mountain. Very moderate and beautiful views of the bluffs. Great lodge to stay at also. Highest point in Arkansas.

Fairly easy trail with great views all around. If you can only do one hike, do this one.

My husband and I came to Mount Magazine from Houston in search of a high-peaked mountain. The Signal Hill Trail gets you to the highest point, but because it's still fairly low in elevation at the top (2,753ft.), there's no timberline and therefore no grand view from the top. The North Rim Trail provides this in spades; there are two or three great spots to look out over the edge and see all of the northern valley.

There were a couple mild creek crossings, clearly kept up by the state park staff. There are also a couple mild ups-and-downs, but nothing that would keep beginner/intermediate hikers from enjoying themselves. I think the wildest of the terrain was the occasional rocky bit, which could be rough for those with ankle issues and no proper ankle-supporting hiking boots. We also saw trail runners.

We had a great time up there. We got rained on twice, though that wasn't unpleasant. We started by the Visitor Center, moved down the trail, and then took the jaunt over to the Mossback Ridge Trail; though, when we got to the road crossing, we just walked up the road to the Signal Hill Trail (maybe 0.25 miles up the road). After hiking up Signal Hill, we also enjoyed a beer at the Lodge and then took the Mossback Ridge trail back to the Visitor Center. The whole thing (including the lodge) took about five hours.

Good trail. The views from the Rim Trail blow away the view from the pinnacle. Very well marked, easily traversable. It's a great starter for the rest of the trail system. This was the second time I made this trip, and I plan on heading back in the near future.

Beautiful trail, not only because of the views from the rim, but also the wildflowers that were blooming all along the trail. Creeks were full and flowing nicely, even spotted the tiniest fawn I have ever seen in the wild that was hiding under some underbrush about 8 feet from me. I ended up walking through the campground (to see check it out), and connecting up with the Signal Hill trail, and then connecting to the Mossback and Greenfield to get back to the Visitor's Center, which added up to around 6.2 miles, according to their map. It was a really beautiful loop around the mountain, and ended up at the lodge on the patio for a quick snack before heading home. They allowed my dog to come through the lobby and rest on the patio with me, which is really nice! I highly recommend this hike! Oh, and the best part - it was 72 degrees at the bottom of the mountain, but hovered around 58-60 at the top - very nice temp for hiking!