North Rim Trail, Mount Magazine State Park

North Rim Trail, Mount Magazine State Park is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Paris, Arkansas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Starting just west of the visitor center, this trail follows the north rim of the mountain to Cameron Bluff Overlook Drive. A spur connects with the western end of the Mossback Ridge Trail to create a 4.4-mile loop back to the visitor center. (Red Blazes), or it can be an out and back trail. It leads through hardwood forests, scrub oaks, and cedar glades across several tumbling creeks. Windswept bluffs overlook a rugged hollow, the Arkansas River Valley and the Ozark Plateau.

Great hike. Saw a Bald Eagle.

Hiked to the overlook on my drive through to Eureka Springs. Nice way to stretch the legs a little on a long drive.

I mapped this 9 mile loop trail that is actually four Mount Magazine trails that form a larger loop trail around the mountain. I started at the visitors center on the North Rim Trail, then picked up on the Mossback Ridge Trail until reaching the Benefield Picnic Area. Then proceeding on the Bear Hollow Trail to the Horse Camp, then picking up Will Apple's Road Trail back to the visitors center. I really like this trail for a number of reasons. Being a state park the trails are well kept and easy to follow. There are great restrooms and refreshments at the visitors center at the beginning and end of the trail. There is also a restroom about about half way along the trail at the Benefield Picnic Area. There are beautiful views, especially along the North Rim Trail and the Bear Hollow Trail. Hunting is not allowed in the park so you feel safe hiking during dear hunting season. Also the lodge and restaurant are a great place to cool down, relax, and get a snack or meal after hiking.

It was good for the kids

Beautiful hike and a decent workout!

Fun hike..lots of flowers and the mossback connection trail was like a green carpet ..

A good hike. A bit challenging for my two young ones but enjoyable.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

My girlfriend and I hiked this trail a few weeks back. Was quite surprised of how badly the trail was grown up, I would have figured it being such a popular destination that it would have been better taken care of. Otherwise for the larger part it was a great hike with some really nice views. Would definitely hike it again.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

The trail starts at the visitor's center, and looks a bit like an overgrown arboretum, but in a good way. the trail path is pretty clear and isn't marked until you cross another trail. Loved the views, moderate hike as some of it is uphill, lots of bees around the flowers.

Monday, June 13, 2016

Great trail

Saturday, May 07, 2016

The hike was nice and cool it had multiple overlooks some of the trail had alot of rocks so be careful plus we crossed a creek twice where my dog cooled off. Over all happy
about the trail.

Monday, May 02, 2016

Beautiful.

Monday, May 02, 2016

I love this mountain!

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Easy to follow with decent scenery.

Sunday, November 01, 2015

Great trail. Very scenic. Trail runs along the north side of the mountain. Very moderate and beautiful views of the bluffs. Great lodge to stay at also. Highest point in Arkansas.

Sunday, October 04, 2015

Fairly easy trail with great views all around. If you can only do one hike, do this one.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

My husband and I came to Mount Magazine from Houston in search of a high-peaked mountain. The Signal Hill Trail gets you to the highest point, but because it's still fairly low in elevation at the top (2,753ft.), there's no timberline and therefore no grand view from the top. The North Rim Trail provides this in spades; there are two or three great spots to look out over the edge and see all of the northern valley.

There were a couple mild creek crossings, clearly kept up by the state park staff. There are also a couple mild ups-and-downs, but nothing that would keep beginner/intermediate hikers from enjoying themselves. I think the wildest of the terrain was the occasional rocky bit, which could be rough for those with ankle issues and no proper ankle-supporting hiking boots. We also saw trail runners.

We had a great time up there. We got rained on twice, though that wasn't unpleasant. We started by the Visitor Center, moved down the trail, and then took the jaunt over to the Mossback Ridge Trail; though, when we got to the road crossing, we just walked up the road to the Signal Hill Trail (maybe 0.25 miles up the road). After hiking up Signal Hill, we also enjoyed a beer at the Lodge and then took the Mossback Ridge trail back to the Visitor Center. The whole thing (including the lodge) took about five hours.

Monday, April 06, 2015

Good trail. The views from the Rim Trail blow away the view from the pinnacle. Very well marked, easily traversable. It's a great starter for the rest of the trail system. This was the second time I made this trip, and I plan on heading back in the near future.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Beautiful trail, not only because of the views from the rim, but also the wildflowers that were blooming all along the trail. Creeks were full and flowing nicely, even spotted the tiniest fawn I have ever seen in the wild that was hiding under some underbrush about 8 feet from me. I ended up walking through the campground (to see check it out), and connecting up with the Signal Hill trail, and then connecting to the Mossback and Greenfield to get back to the Visitor's Center, which added up to around 6.2 miles, according to their map. It was a really beautiful loop around the mountain, and ended up at the lodge on the patio for a quick snack before heading home. They allowed my dog to come through the lobby and rest on the patio with me, which is really nice! I highly recommend this hike! Oh, and the best part - it was 72 degrees at the bottom of the mountain, but hovered around 58-60 at the top - very nice temp for hiking!

Friday, February 14, 2014

There are several nice overlooks, Dill Point is one of my favorite. If you follow some of the streams a little, there are some nice waterfalls.