New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Mount Magazine Scenic Byway

Mount Magazine Scenic Byway is a 20.1 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Paris, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 20.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,988 feet Route Type: Point to Point

scenic driving

Scenic drive from Paris, Arkansas to the summit of Mount Magazine State Park. Great views, trails, and other amenities.

Nice drive.

amazing sites

Great place to hike several trails to choose from. The overlooks are awesome .

beautiful scenery

Wed Aug 08 2018

beautiful hike especially during mid spring. If you plan to complete the entire trail dont forget water and possibly energy bars or snacks. Its a great hike and a great accomplishment

Wed May 31 2017

Beautiful hike but expected a little more to see.

Sat Jan 21 2017

Mind blowing! Love Arkansas! Can't wait to take my friends, and family!

Sat Aug 20 2016

Beautiful drive in the fall!!

Mon May 02 2016

I love this mountain!

rock climbing
Fri Oct 03 2014

I love climbing here. When the fog is thick it seams like you are in a really remote area.

Thu Jul 03 2014

I ran a 15 k up this highway to the top of Mt Magazine..I can't say I noticed too much scenery on the way up, but the view from the top was spectacular! Began at Havana High, ended at first scenic overlook.

Sun Mar 02 2014

When in the area you can also hike on Rich Mountain and Huckleberry Mountain. Both are located just east of Mt. Magazine and offer lots of areas off the beat and path for hiking.

Sun Oct 27 2013

This is a very nice and pretty trail. It is very well marked. Reaching the top was rather anticlimactic but it is one I will do again.

Wed Dec 26 2012

Beautiful drive on Mount Magazine.

Tue Aug 21 2012

Some friends and I did this trail (which, if you start at the summit is called the Mt. Magazine trail) is a great 9 mile one way or 18 mile out and back hike. We backpacked it overnight, hitting the summit on day one and then backpacking in the national forest (you need a permit for the sites at the summit, .5 miles back down it is the National forest which is free). The first 8 miles of this trail headed up Magazine are nice, rolling hills. The final mile to the top of Magazine is almost 1000' of gain all at once, doglegging back and forth to give your legs a break. We did this hike in March (lowest precip. month of the year) and bugs and black bears were no issue. It was beautiful during the day and cool at night. If you're going to camp, pack 3 season gear. Overall, great weekend, would do it again!

Thu Jul 14 2011

My wife and I spent a couple of nights on Mt. Magazine. We took our time out of Benton going Hwy 9 to Perry, Hwy 10 to Havana and Hwy 309 to the top. On the way home, we continued on Hwy 309 down to Paris, Hwy 109 to Magazine, Hwy 10 to Booneville, Hwy 23 to Hwy 71 to Hwy 270, and came back through Hot Springs to Benton and home. It was a beautiful drive and I did not mind using the gas! By the way, if you ever go Hwy 270 through Mt. Ida, stop off at the Dairyette for an ice cream; it is well worth it!

Tue Mar 15 2011

This area truly is God's Country.

Thu Nov 25 2010

Great drive for fall Color.

Sat Dec 08 2018