Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Mossy Bluff Buckeye Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(90)
Dam Site Recreation Area

Mossy Bluff Buckeye Trail is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Heber Springs, Arkansas that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.8 miles Elevation Gain: 265 feet Route Type: Loop

This was a great trail! It started out not so great- walking right next to a road and lots of traffic noise. Once you get into the woods, it was so quiet and peaceful. Nice clear path. The bluffs and creek are awesome. Not a huge fan of the 200 steps to get to the outlook but the view of the dam is pretty cool! FitBit calculated 2.65 miles round trip. Took the dog too and she loved it!

Easy to moderate trail with a few branches that you can take to get to and from. Trail basically parallels the paved road but there are a couple of nice creeks and water features if you hike the various trails. Summit has 3 flights of stairs to climb to get to the top but the view of the dam is quite nice. Fall is probably the best time to hike this trail but we enjoyed it in the spring. Difficult to get lost as you are parallel to the road most of the time. Start directly in front of the visitor’s center. I never encountered the disc golf area.

Was Awesome!!!

Great little trail for people of all ages and skill levels. Multiple options for length. Lots of shade. A few waterfall and beautiful over looks.

This is my absolute favorite trail! It's pretty Rocky and unlevel, no wheelchairs. beautiful overlook at the end. popular place to see snakes, I've seen a couple good sized rat snakes.

Pretty, but not the best in the area by far. The trail is a little confusing. I started at Tee 1 (I think) of the frisbee golf course where I parked Crossed the street and began the trail. It is clearly marked, but you need a little trail experience in a couple of sections., If in doubt use your eyes lol You can SEE the trail. Once I got to the staircase and overlook it got confusing. The trail stopped being marked all together, At first I crossed the street, then realized I was back in the frisbee golf lol So I double back to the parking area at the overlook, looked around and made the only assumption one could make considering this is classified as a "LOOP" trail (which means you don't double back the way you came) and walked down the street to my car. Which I guess is what you are supposed to do by looking at the map. I would advise anyone else: hike to the overlook then turn around and hike out. Make this an out and back trail not a loop. It would be be better to hike this in the am for better views. I was out in the late afternoon and the sun was behind the cliffside which made it shadowy on the river etc. for viewing purposes. I imagine this is best seen in the fall.

Beautiful hike through the woods. No issues with trail identification. Clean trail with some overgrowth in spots.

Easy hike with a pretty cascading waterfall.

Trail is extremely poorly marked and confusing. Couldn't find the trail after the stairs to the outlook and ended up walking the Frisbee course.

The trails are confusing, with no clear markings at the overlook of which way the trail continues.

Fri May 03 2019

Nice moderate trail near the visitors center with great views of Greer's Ferry Dam.

Sat Apr 13 2019

Not a bad trail if you are close by and just want to walk in the woods for a few.

Thu Mar 21 2019

Nice little trail. it's right off the highway and great for a quick walk to break up the day. It has a branch with a few small falls.

Fri Mar 15 2019

Easy hike. Good scenery.

Sat Feb 16 2019

nice little hike

Sun Feb 03 2019

We parked at the Frisbee golf area . There was a pretty slippery downhill area which we had to go down to reach the main trail . Once there it was a very comfortable walk through the woods . The trail is very enjoyable , just the right amount of up and down . We were on the trail in the winter , this allowed for lots of river views . The steps up to the lookout area will wind you !

Nice trail, took my two dogs-8 pound Schnauzer and 70 pound mix-and they enjoyed it. Beautiful views of the river and lake.

Sun Oct 28 2018

Great hike close to home.

Mon Sep 10 2018

Nice walk in the woods

Tue Jul 03 2018

It was ok.

Fri May 25 2018

Great hike! Easy trail, our 3 dogs loved it and we did, too!

Sun Nov 26 2017

Well marked trail. Moderate difficulty. One very good view of dam on far end, others views are spotty.

Mon Sep 18 2017

Loved this trail!! Definitely will do it again

Mon Apr 24 2017

Nice trail w overlook of the dam

Fri Apr 21 2017

It was beautiful! Didn't get to do whole trail. Hubby doesn't like to hike a lot.

Mon Mar 27 2017

I took the kids hiking on this trail. It was beautiful and waterfall was flowing from the recent rains. We were a little disappointed the visitor center was closed so we could use the restroom or find a map or buy stuff in general like drinks or snacks.

Sun Feb 26 2017

good for families with small children

Sat Feb 25 2017

Nice trail for a family hike. Not too challenging, well marked and decent views along the way to the end view of the dam.