Lost Valley Trail

Lost Valley Trail is a 1.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Ponca, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

cave

Lost Valley Campground is located near Ponca, southwest of Harrison, Arkansas. The trail is accessible year-round. Best done in late fall or early spring for a more spectacular look at the water falls. Trail is very scenic, rated easy Note this area is heavily visited on the weekends. Best visited during the week if you want a little solitude. Trail ranges from crushed rock to natural services. The most scenic area of the trail is more demanding but worth it.

Fun but crowded. Only second half of the hike was fun once off the stone path. The cave was awesome and definitely be best part!

beautiful waterfall!!!!

So so beautiful, especially if the falls are going. We went in March after rain and it was rushing. The hike has some climbing in places, and can be slick, but my 5 kids handled it pretty well (the 3 and 4-year-olds needed help). The cave was kinda claustrophobic because so many people were trying to get in and out. I would definitely hike it again, but skip the the cave.

Seeing this place after a good rain is sooo much better! Liked it before, loved it this time.

Beautiful trail. Got hammered by a thunderstorm just before getting to Cob Cave, so at least we had some cover. Loved it!

Perfect hike for our family! The waterfalls were beautiful, and the cave at the end was so cool! If you stay to the right when it starts getting narrow, you don't have to crawl really...It's just a tight squeeze. Well worth it to see the waterfall inside. Our boys (4 and 11) loved it!

Great hike! With all the rain that fell this last week the falls were flowing good! The cave was very busy so didn't get to spend a lot of time in it. This is another popular hike in the area so be aware if you don't like crowds. There is a picnic shelter and bathrooms at the start which makes it nice if you are planning to do several hikes in the area.

Cave falls are amazing. Easy hike up to the first falls, but has the extras for those who want to explore

Beautiful, well maintained trail. Lots of moss and the falls were beautiful

Well maintained trail, easy hike with short steep sections near the end at the caves.

I loved this trail. As you begin your hike don't let the dry creek bed concern you. Most of the year the creek flows underground. It remains dry until just before you reach the natural bridge. You can walk beside the creek under it. Be careful of slippery rocks. There are two small caves just above the natural bridge. They are fun to explore but are not the one with the waterfall. The trail gets steeper as you hike to Eden Falls. There is a nice overhang to explore there. The trail continues very steeply up to the cave. At one point you must crawl before it opens to a room with the waterfall. There were plenty of children and elderly people who went back successfully, but it gets so low before it opens up the you start to believe you can't go any further. Once you get to the back it is well worth the bumped knees and head. I recommend a strong flashlight the will illuminate the room well. It is always recommend to have at least three sources of light. I was in a cave once and accidentally broke two lights. I always carry plenty now. Have fun!

We hiked this trail this past week. It has a waterfall, caves, and beautiful rock formations. The trail is not difficult and good for families. Highly recommend for those that love nature.

Loved it! We went on a sprinkling and foggy morning and arrived around 9am and had the whole place to ourselves until about 10:30! It was great! Beautiful scenery and fun to explore!

Easy hike. The caves are super fun. Especially when the falls is actually running. Look for Eden falls too, it’s stunning!

So many memories of this trail over the years with my Mom who is now in Heaven. We use to be able to camp at the beginning of the trail but flooding stopped that. This is a beautiful, well maintained and still being improved trail. The Spring flowers and wild lilacs are amazing! The creek bed is usually pretty dry when I have been but there are some amazing formations in the bed. At the mouth of the stream sometimes it is full and flowing and a sight to see. If you continue on up you can go into the cave and see the falls. Be careful to stay on the trail too many adventurers have wondered right into dangerous and deadly situations up there above the falls.

Fun bouldering and climbing in the creek bed up to the caves

Fun trail! Easy walking until you get to the end where there's a bit more incline involved. The caves are fun- you can wiggle your way inside- there wasn't too much water while we were there. Be sure if you can go make your way all the way to the back of the cave where there is a small hole to crawl through which leads to a large cavern with a waterfall. We never saw this and so missed out- but a fellow hiker said it was difficult to get through but well worth it!

Not too many people when we entered, but then a bus of school kids on a field trip came toward the end... so not always peaceful in its popularity.

I’ve done this trail when the water is running and when it’s dry. It’s is a beautiful trail both ways. When the water is running it reminds me of a place dinosaurs walked. The cathedral has great acoustics . Some Amish folks were there when I went one of the times and they all sang amazing grace. It sounded so amazing. Definitely a family friendly hike.

Awesome! Falls was just a trickle but were able to make it back to falls in cave ( dry) because of drought.

Awesome hike with so many amazing things to explore! We went on a Tuesday and we never saw a single person, we had the whole mountain to ourselves! We even saw lots of elk in the drive to the trailhead.
The cave at the end of the trail was truly awesome to our family. We crawled all the way to the back to see it open up and saw the waterfall inside, which wasn’t too much water at this time, making it easier to navigate back inside the cave. If you are claustrophobic you might/probably/most likely will be freaked out to go all the way. Our 2 boys 11 and 14 didn’t have any trouble on this trail. They looked like little mountain goats climbing all over the rock formations, and in cob cave. We loved every single bit of this trail and could have stayed exploring it all day. We will go back next time we are in the area.

Nice, easy trail with a few waterfalls and caves. It is one of the nicest trails I've been on.

Very cool with kids. Some amazing caves to explore. Loved it.

I suppose if you like hikes through valleys and you like caves this is fine. I guess I prefer to hike mountains.

Great starter trail. Fun for all ages. Awesome caves and creeks. Love the history in this one

Terrific, kid-friendly trail in one of the most beautiful areas Arkansas. Lots of really cool rock formations, and Eden Falls cave, at the end of the trail, has a waterfall inside the cave. I have hiked this trail more times than I can count over the past 30 years.

One of my favorites, many scenic spots. Can have a lot of foot traffic on weekends.

Awesome trail that offers a lot in a short hike. Good for all ages and experience levels.

Beautiful! Need to go back and see Eden Falls in the spring when the water is up!

The first part of the hike is pretty easy, but when you get to the Natural Bridge section and go through it and hike over all the large boulders, it gets a lot more fun. Then there is some climbing up and out of that section to get to the Eden Falls area.

Bring your ear buds and favorite music in case it is busy and noisy.