Learn more

Little Missouri Trail is a 11.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Caddo Gap, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 11.7 mi Elevation gain 905 ft Route type Out & Back

Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Contact
Getting There

The trail is the northeastern segment of the longer Eagle Rock loop trail. The trail passes through the Little Missouri Falls Recreation Area which displays the scenic Little Missouri Falls. It is actually a series of cascades. There is nothing little about it. Absolutely breathtaking, from here the hiker faces a hill of steps in the trail which lead along large cliffs high above the river. The trail provides a view of the area above the falls on the left and a rock formation on the right. This part of the trail is a historic wagon trail. From here the hike largely follows the Little Missouri River, crossing it several times. It ends at the Albert Pike Recreational area.

Pull off the gravel road and park the best you can. Camping allowed on the trail or spend the night with showers at the Albert Pike Recreational area.

Caddo Ranger District, 101 Smokey Bear Lane, Glenwood, AR, 71943, (870) 356-4186

Albert Pike Recreation Area; turn left off Hwy. 84 at Langley onto Hwy. 369 for 6 miles. Take Arkansas Hwy. 84 west of Glenwood, AR; turn north on Arkansas Hwy. 369 at Langley, AR for 6 miles; continue north 3 miles on Forest Service Road 73 to Forest Service Road 43; turn left (northwest) 4 miles to Forest Service Road 25; turn left (west) for 1/2 mile to Forest Service Road 539.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (113)
Photos (386)
Recordings (88)
Completed (360)
Lady Wings
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 31 2020
HikingMuddyRockyScramble

Loved loved loved this trail! Definitely bring a change of clothes. I ran out of water and drank from the river, pretty tasty although not sure F that’s recommended. Lol. Breathtaking views and an exhilarating swim in the cascades, BRISK!

Brice Gibbs
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat May 16 2020
Hiking

Yep.I did it. I'm wetter than a fish. I reckon I'll go somewhere else now.

Storms 1819
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed May 13 2020
Hiking

Went yesterday during the rain. Was absolutely beautiful. The cascades were breathtaking. A little steep with a pack. Good places to camp along the water. Bring extra socks!!

Action Reaction
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon May 11 2020
Hiking

I obviously love this trail. I live very near and never get tired of it. Please, please go do this trail.

DEE WARNER
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri May 01 2020
Hiking

This service road has parking and a short hike to reach the Little Missouri Trail

View DEE's Recording
Jason Knoernschild
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Apr 19 2020

I went during Corona virus pandemic. of course the Entrance gate was locked. we had to park at the gate and walk down to the start of the trail, approximately .2 miles. first of all, the waterfall was great. well worth the hassle of getting there. the trail was pretty easy. it had a few moderate hills but nothing very hard. we went about half way to albert pike recreation area because it was not a loop trail. I would love to go back and do the entire eagle rock loop when i have more time. definitely recommend this trail for all ages. in fact my 70 year old mom and dad went with no problems.

Melissa Timi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Feb 29 2020

I absoulty loved this trail. I went mid February on a nice day that turned to rain. I didn't get to go all the way. I would recommend this trail to anybody. It's not a hard trail. Beautiful streams with Crystal clear water. I'll be back

Jay Clouatre
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jan 03 2020
HikingRocky

I would recommend this trail for anybody who wants to do a two day all day trail awesome trail

View Jay's Recording
J Fundy4
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Dec 26 2019
Hiking

My recording failed, not accurate! Great hike! Keep your heads up! I lost the trail a couple times. Yes some markers could be better, but I think I lost the trail because there is no ground cover this time of year. Trail is a good path, you can lose it in the fall leaves. Great hike and not boring at all! Tricky river crossings, peaceful forrest paths and narrow paths cut into steep terrain looking over the river far below (heads up and keep a sure foot). The river is amazing, the water is is so clear, I wanted to take a dip! Bring a camera for sure! Watch water level too, looks like it could get crazy real quick if it floods. Great hike! I’ll be back in the spring for the whole loop! Lots of good camp sites on the trail I hiked.

View J's Recording
Paul Cuppett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Nov 01 2019
Hiking

Started at Little Missouri Falls, Eagle Rock Loop trailhead sign. Only hiked 2 miles to a great campsite sufficient for 5 tents. Stayed 2 nights. Water on two sides of us made for great sleeping and easy water collection. Easy family hike or reluctant backpacker. Next time maybe a little more adventurous with the miles.

View Paul's Recording
Meagan Medley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Sep 02 2019
HikingOff trailRockyScrambleWashed out

We parked cars at Blaylock Creek and Little Missouri Falls. We camped at the site right past the parking lot (with vault toilets and trash cans) on Blaylock Creek (very nice site). We hiked mostly to Winding Stairs and back (follow white blazes-it’s very confusing) and then drove to Little Missouri falls, camped past the major water crossing, hiked down to Albert Pike and hitched a ride back to Blaylock creek. The last .9 miles to Albert Pike has no trail makers (white blazes) of any kind. We kept asking people who were day hiking from the park if we were on the trail because it looks washed out. Guthooks made that part look easy-it’s definitely not. Rocky and narrow trail on cliff edges. About .9 miles from Albert Pike is a water crossing that has significant downed trees over the trail, so you have to go around and through the water twice. Although we made it fine, I would have felt better with 4-wheel Drive going to/from Blaylock creek from the Albert Pike day use area. It’s paved going to Albert Pike and the you can go to Blaylock Creek Parking (Winding Stairs parking) or Little Missouri Falls Parking. Those two directions are both single lane (but two direction) gravel road. The one to Blaylock is a little scarier. We saw people (some with little children) arriving late at night (10:30pm and later). I would not want to be driving and looking for campsites that late in this area. The trailhead to the Little Missouri/Eagle Rock Loop is right behind the vault toilet/trash at Blaylock parking. About 100 yards down turn left slightly and our campsite was there. Most of the time Guthooks would say 1-2 tents would fit a site, but we could’ve fit more. The trail was absolutely beautiful! Everything was picture perfect. The water was crystal clear and cool. Definitely glad I brought Chacos for water crossings. Saw lots of hikers fall in hiking boots or barefoot. I never carried more than 1 liter of water and refilled when we had water crossings. Lots of little crossings that were fine in boots. Only 3-5 required Chacos. 1-2 around adult knee level (5ft 8) and the water was not too swift. Could’ve been more of a concern for children. Rocks are slippery in the water. We obsessively checked weather (Langley and Caddo Gap) before going. No rain at all in site for the whole trip. Storms came in on day 2 around 12:30pm and sprinkled/rained all night. No way to check weather or river risings (you can check online) with no cell service. We watched the river periodically through the night to check for flooding. It raised 4-6 inches and was down ~4 when we left camp. The weather predictions were 88-91 highs and 68-70 lows. We didn’t know how accurate those would be. It was 92 at our car when we returned and at night we were chilled to what felt like low 60s. Of course one day/night it rained and stormed so the weather predictions can be pretty far off. There were very few times we were in direct sunlight. Mainly water crossings. I didn’t see any campsites with direct sun. There were 2-3 scrambles and 1-2 places where taking your pack off was needed to get under a downed tree that you couldn’t get around on a mountain. I would say these were easy for a scramble but not actually easy. We were very glad to have Guthooks app. Also, google maps brought me straight in to Albert Pike, but remember how you got there because there is no cell service until you are pretty far away from Langley. No parking or staying in Albert Pike overnight as many people died in 2010 from a flash flood camping there. You can tell at lots of camp sites and on the trail that floods have happened recently too. There is a store at the intersection in Langley- great burger and fries and the folks that run it are sweet. The have last minute supplies you might need and blow up toys for the water if you are day use in the water. They have ice cream too. We spent an hour at Little Missouri Falls sitting in the Falls. It’s beautiful. Saw little baby crawfish but nothing else in the clear water. Lots of day use people there. They have stairs leading down to the falls. We left our packs on the platform on the stairs and just kept an eye on them. We were glad to have hiking poles here and everywhere. Albert Pike has lots of day use people grilling and swimming. They had toilets in one area but many were boarded up. Little Missouri Falls had vault toilets and people could barely breathe in them. Blaylock Creek Parking has a vault toilet. Sheriff deputies were patrolling in all 3 parking areas. One even made sure some other hikers had more water/filtration with them than just their Nalgene bottles.

Jeff Judkins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Aug 31 2019
Hiking

Great section of the Eagle Rock loop. Very moderate, great scenery and the river looks awesome through this part. Lots of great camping spots as well.

Ronnie Lollar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 24 2019
Hiking

I took my three boys (11,8,5) on an overnight backpacking trip and it was a blast! I will echo that the trail at around 1 mile in is poorly marked. It takes a hard turn right but isn’t as noticeable as it should be. Other than that trail is fairly well marked. Great place to swim, catch crawfish and enjoy a moderate hike. Multiple spots to swim and wade all along the trail. Several good campsites along the path as well. I would highly recommend this hike.

Brandon Bata
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 03 2019
Hiking

Good trail. Better if you wonder off trail a little. Lots of Hidden adventures out there!

Matt Glover
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue May 28 2019
HikingOff trail

This was my first time on this trail. Accomplished the entire loop. Trail want clearly marked after the first river crossing, ended up taking a 8 mile detour down an ATV path. Then had to backtrack and start over. total mileage we accomplished was 8 miles over the 30 mile loop lol. Other than that first hiccup it was a fairly easy loop to navigate.

Justin Lewis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 19 2019
HikingBugsRocky

If you gave this trail anything less than 5 stars you probably hate puppies and prefer cheese pizza over pepperoni. This is hands down the best overall trail for relaxing that I’ve ever hiked. I can’t wait to come back.

Shannon Walker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Dec 31 2018
Hiking

Easy hike for experienced hikers. We started at the falls and went south. Due to a storm that went through the day before, the falls were roaring with run-off. This made the first river crossing about 1.6 miles down impassable. We ran into a solo though hiker that back tracked about 0.25 miles and found a spot to cross. The water went up to his knees. Our group had younger children so we decided not to cross.

Vicki Patterson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Oct 23 2018
Hiking

Day hike in and out from the Missouri Falls Trailhead on a Sunday. 5 mile drive on narrow gravel road to get to the rec area. The falls are at the start of the trail and several groups were gathered in the falls area. The trail follows the river with several areas to explore in and near the water. The river alternates from rushing over rocks to clear pools of water. One trail crossing through the water was a bit precarious. I did bring extra shoes to cross through the water but with very slippery mossy wet rocks I took a small tumble and fell in! I saw another hiker do the same a few minutes before. It was all in good fun and I would do it again! Beautiful scenery with fall colors throughout the hike. Many places for camping and areas to wade or swim in warmer weather.

Jennifer FitzSimons
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Oct 21 2018

Scenic hike. There were a few light water crossings and two bigger water crossings (we didn’t have water shoes so we took off our hiking shoes and went through the water..12” in spots). A lot of camp sites and ran into a fare amount of people along the way. The trail runs along water which makes it very tranquil.

Aga Pawluczuk
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Sep 05 2018
Backpacking

Did this trail as part of the Eagle Rock Loop trail. Hiked from Little Missouri Falls trailhead going clockwise over 3 days/2 nights. This was a beautiful hike. Lots of water crossings on this section so bring water shoes and watch the river gage height because under certain conditions, it is not passable. https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?07360200 Highly trafficked trail as well. Ran into lots of families on this section.

trevor harbert
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Sep 03 2018
Backpacking

secluded, river crossings, challenging to navigate. good place to backpack alone or with friends or family. my wife and kids loved it. just beautiful. highly recommend if your tired of car camping and loud, busy campsites. this is what you've been looking for. don't hesitate. Just pack up the kids and go. you'll be glad you did!

jason young
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Aug 10 2018
Hiking

great trail went from north end to the falls and back, took dog with us , plenty of water and camping spots

Blake Lee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Aug 05 2018
Hiking

One of my favorites to hike. I start at the Little Missouri Falls rec area parking lot, and walk down to the falls. The falls tends to be busy on the weekends, and differs on appearance depending on whether the water is up or not. Either way, it's gorgeous scenery. You basically follow the river from there. Its easy to moderate, and great for beginners or people who want to do a light trek in the forest. Highly recommend!

Alexandria Salisbury
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed May 30 2018
Hiking

Gorgeous location. Not much of a hike. Just creek walking!