Iron Mountain Blue Trail

Iron Mountain Blue Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Arkadelphia, Arkansas that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This review is for the "White Trail" at Iron Mountain. Note if someone knows how to create a new "account" for this trail or can point me to its section location, I'll migrate it over. I just didn't see any dedicated "White Trail" section under Iron Mountain.

Am just starting back into trail riding after 15 years of occasional road rides on my Giant hybrid bike. Got a new Trek MTB this year and am easing into AR trails.

Went down to Iron Mountain Sunday morning with a buddy. Weather was perfect at 80 degrees and clear. We parked in a large gravel parking lot about 50 yds(?) from the White Trail. We traversed clockwise. No others were on path at 8am.

A fantastic 5 mile trail! The trail was in great condition; no obstacles, no ruts, dry but not too dusty. "Picturesque" best describes the White Trail in Arkadelphia. Great for photographs. There are plenty of opportunities to pull off trail and take in scenery, even dip your toes into Lake DeGray.

Again, having just begun sampling a few MTB trails in Arkansas, I'm not in MTB leg shape. I had no problems with the downhills and there are several decents with "somewhat flowy runs", at least to my eyes. These allow you to test your disk brakes and bike balance. = fun!

There are also a few mild uphill runs that forced me to miss shift my 11 SHRAM gears and/or come off my RaceFace pedals due simply to my
inexperience and not-ready-for-primetime biking legs. I noted to my buddy during the ride that I still play full court B-ball at 55 with mostly 20/30 year-olds but "MTB bike shape" is a different fitness focus.

Meaning... I took a few 60+ sec breathers on a few of the longer, winding uphills. But to me, having to bail on an uphill or two provides me with plenty of motivation for the next visit.

According to my Strava app, my elapsed pedaling time was 51 minutes. We were probably ON the trail for 90 minutes or so accounting for pictures and water/nutrition breaks.

Iron Mountain White Trail was recommended by nearly all experienced MTB bike owners. It did not disappoint and I'll be back in a few weeks.

The trail loop is roughly 5 miles long so bring water for sure, nutrition if needed, emergency bike parts just in case. Closer to 10 am we saw other bikers on the trail, traveling in both directions.

A great time!

As others have noted, there’s actually 5 different& mostly interconnected loops. 1st day we did the 4.75 mi yellow trail which had more switchbacks with more yet gentle ascent/descent. There were no lake views so I would rate it a 4. Today we did the 4.75 mis white trail. More rolling but beautiful lake views & parts even close enough to go get wet (she did!). This is a 5+! All trails were virtually vacant. This system was built with bikers in mind but great for either the adrenaline seeking crowd or the more pedestrian! How do we get AllTrails to update this system?!

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

I actually ran the orange/red loop which is approximately 3.5 miles. All I had time for. For some reason the entire trail system is not on Alltrails. Really enjoyed the singletrack! It was remarkably dry considering the heavy rains from two days earlier, this is not to suggest that there were not wet spots on the trail, because there were. There are prominent rock gardens. Hope to return and run the entire trail. My friends mountain biked the majority of the system and had a great time!

Monday, September 05, 2016

I set out for this place figuring I would have to run around the "1.2 mile loop" it is described as being, a few times. What I found out was that there are actually three trail systems that link together to form the iron mountain trails. I ran the blue trail show on the picture I uploaded and it was between 2.5 and 2.7 miles long. Either the description of the trail is old and needs updated or they have since added onto the old trails.

I thought the trails we well maintained with plenty of spots to be able to open up with some speed, either in foot or on a bike, and a few spots that were rocky or had switchbacks that would take a bit of skill to navigate. It was nice to be near enough to the lake on the blue loop to be able to see the sunrise reflecting off of it. I wish I had had known the distances of the trails and different loops so I could have judged if I had enough time to do more but I settled for the blue loop and it was ok.

Saturday, September 10, 2016