Iron Mountain Blue Trail

Iron Mountain Blue Trail is a 1.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Arkadelphia, Arkansas that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I actually ran the orange/red loop which is approximately 3.5 miles. All I had time for. For some reason the entire trail system is not on Alltrails. Really enjoyed the singletrack! It was remarkably dry considering the heavy rains from two days earlier, this is not to suggest that there were not wet spots on the trail, because there were. There are prominent rock gardens. Hope to return and run the entire trail. My friends mountain biked the majority of the system and had a great time!

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Monday, September 05, 2016

I set out for this place figuring I would have to run around the "1.2 mile loop" it is described as being, a few times. What I found out was that there are actually three trail systems that link together to form the iron mountain trails. I ran the blue trail show on the picture I uploaded and it was between 2.5 and 2.7 miles long. Either the description of the trail is old and needs updated or they have since added onto the old trails.

I thought the trails we well maintained with plenty of spots to be able to open up with some speed, either in foot or on a bike, and a few spots that were rocky or had switchbacks that would take a bit of skill to navigate. It was nice to be near enough to the lake on the blue loop to be able to see the sunrise reflecting off of it. I wish I had had known the distances of the trails and different loops so I could have judged if I had enough time to do more but I settled for the blue loop and it was ok.