Indian Rock House Self-guided Nature Trail

Indian Rock House Self-guided Nature Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Yellville, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

cave

The Indian Rock House is a loop trail that winds across hillsides and along a beautiful stream to the spectacular Indian Rockhouse Cave, which once sheltered prehistoric bluff-dwelling Native Americans (there are no "ruins" at the site). It then returns to the trail head passing the CCC rock quarry, used to build the park buildings.

This hike had it all! Great views, rock formations, views, a waterfall, creek side parts, an old mine and quarry, and the cave is amazing! Definitely will go back! It was more strenuous that I thought, there was a LOT of uphill portions, but definitely worth it!

This hike is truly a marvel!!

Expose to nature at It's finest with waterfalls, caves, underground rivers, creeks.

I've walked this trail 3 times and plan on going back for more! Love seeing the mine and waterfall. I take my 7 yr old daughter with me everytime and plan on taking my 3 yr old son next time. Although I would advise that if you want to see the extended cavern in the rock house, do not go after a heavy rain. The spring fills to the brim making it impossible to pass to get to the inner caverns. Quite disappointing since us my favorite part of the trail. Overall it's an amazing hike full of beautiful views and great memories to make.

Pack a lunch and stay a while at the rock house. Nice outing.

My first hike and the reason I am addicted to hiking. Strenuous for a novice on the way out but doable. loved it!

This was a beautiful trail. There were waterfalls and the cave was pretty neat. When I did this trail there was a nice mist coming off the rocks.

Spring is best. Before the ticks come out. When you arrive at the enormous open cave and sit and listen you can feel the history of the place. There is a fast moving clear stream that enters into the cave from the back left corner and exits the left front corner. It is beautiful. The trail up and back is well marked. Pick up a map at the Ranger station at Buffalo Point as you go by. The "Bathtub" in the creek is awesome any time of year. Jump right on in! The flowers in Spring and the butterflies are amazing.

Great hike. Nice area with a waterfall and a few caves to explore.

wonderful trail! lots of caves and points of interests including a natural "bath". the Indian rock house is amazing! it's huge! It has a few sub caves along with a stream flowing through a little drop down hole on the side that you can get into. The cave is the halfway point on the loop and worth it!

This is a great trail, lot of rock structures. Hiked this one w/ my wife, sister-in-law, neice and grandson, that covers ALL age groups. If you time it right you can catch the waterfall, even frozen,. The cave with the chimney hole was fantastic, but the Rock House I had heard about, but in no way expected what I saw.Take your time, there is a lot to see. DO IT!!! 1/20/18

LeeAnn and I hiked this November 2017. Had a great time easy half day hike. My first hike.

My favorite hike in the region, definitely a must-do in the Ozarks. Plenty of shade as you make your way downhill through the forest, passing a couple magnificent waterfalls on the way. The trail runs parallel to a dry creek bed and a few smaller caves as you near the rock house. As for the rock house itself, it's a pretty stunning geological wonder. A most massive cave structure with a stream of water flowing through it. Bring a flashlight to explore some of the caverns. I climbed up through the chimney to explore the the roof of the structure... not much to see up there, it's completely forested over. As with any Arkansas hike, bring the tick spray! The hike back to the trailhead is uphill and slightly strenuous, but nothing compared to the elevation gains in mountain hiking out west.

Words can't describe the beauty of this trail, especially the actually Indian Rock House it's self. Going in is VERY easy due to He fact your defend the majority of the time. Difficulty level coming out depends on the route you return on. If you take the trail to the right at the creek crossing back to the trailhead, it will burn your calves just a little but it's an awesome hike.

Great trail to hike. Steep on the way out back up the mountain. Strong legs required.

7/16/17 Not too strenuous. Good hike for what it is. Saw quite a bit of water flow moving through small creeks but the main creek was dry. Didn't see any wildlife. The caves were pretty cool. Went all the was back up into the Rockhouse. The beginnings of stalactite are everywhere.

This trail has it all! caves, mines, coves, waterfalls and so much greenery.... just gorgeous. I would like to note that this trail is more than moderate difficulty due to the steep climb back up. The trailhead sign itself lists this trail as strenuous. It's worth the hike for sure.

I loved this trail. There is so much to see I'm going to have to visit again just to catch what I missed the last time. The rock house itself is massive and worth the visit on its own!

Kids loved it!!! So much to see and explore. My 5 year old got tired toward the end but my 7 year old did great. I will be taking the rest of the family next time.

This is a great little trail that rewards you with so much, the Indian Rock House is pretty cool and worth the trek off the main trail.

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Easy Hike In. Difficult Hike Out. Worth the effort.

Monday, April 03, 2017

Lots to see in a short time . We were able to hike it in under an hour and a half to beat out impending rain. i would like to do it again sometime when we can enjoy the sights.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Hiked this wonderful trail last weekend. Trails well maintained . Beautiful views and several unexpected pleasant surprises along the way. Highly recommend it.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

The best hike in the buffalo river area. It was amazing. I recommend this one

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

One of the most beautiful trails I have ever experienced. While this is listed as a moderately strenuous trail, my children aged 11 and 6 were able to hike the entire thing with no trouble. We like to make many stops, though, to take in everything around us and take pictures, so the entire hike took us about 4-5 hours. We could easily have taken more time - there is so much to see!
When we went, the waterfall was at low water and the creek was not running in most places, and the adventure was still fun and scenic. The small cave was a nice cool-off on an 85-degree day, and the large cave was breathtaking. The fall colors were beautiful.
The way out is steep, and the very last twenty or so steps of the "switchbacks" is a tough scramble on loose soil. You'll get your cardio! On the way down, the trail has lots of large, loose stones, so I would recommend hiking boots or shoes with good ankle support.
I can hardly wait to hike this again when the water is running high.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Has sum great views especially overlook trail on the other side but indian house is beautiful and fun to explore its quite n easy trail either way especially if ya take it slow n stay on trail

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Water falls! Dog friendly! Caves! So much to look at!
Only down fall was there was so many spiders.

Monday, August 01, 2016

This trail is a cool place to see a lot of things. The cave, the old quarry, the old abandoned zinc mine, just to name a few. The scenery is great year around.

Monday, July 04, 2016

We loved this trail. Exploring the caves was fun and more than we expected them to be. We saw three types of salamander among other interesting creatures. The river isn't far away so enjoyed cooling off in the water once we were finished hiking. Great hike, will be coming back for more. Highly recommend.

Monday, May 30, 2016