Indian Rock House Self-guided Nature Trail

Indian Rock House Self-guided Nature Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Yellville, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

cave

The Indian Rock House is a loop trail that winds across hillsides and along a beautiful stream to the spectacular Indian Rockhouse Cave, which once sheltered prehistoric bluff-dwelling Native Americans (there are no "ruins" at the site). It then returns to the trail head passing the CCC rock quarry, used to build the park buildings.

Such a gorgeous hiking trail. definitely my all time favorite

One of my FAVORITE trails this far! Numerous rock formations, waterfalls, and caves! What else could you ask for?!

Nice hike. Cave is really open and has amazing features. Trail is easy to follow with water running through from time to time. We’ll bring my grandkids at Christmas time -although it’s moderate they’ll have no problem.

Great hike! Relatively short but packed with stuff to see. Really beautiful in the fall. Trail is well marked and well maintained throughout. Some slippery rock in a couple spots but no big deal. I'd recommend bringing a flashlight for the rock house, some cool areas you can explore in the back corners if you've got one.

Disappointed that almost everyone I saw out there had one or more dogs, there are other trails at Buffalo Point that you can bring your dogs on, no reason for this.

As a novice hiker,this was an awesome experience for me. Starting with the ranger who warned me to bring plenty of water because of the uphill return, to the lovely solitude of the light rain after leaving the quarry, the trail was an amazing experience for me. I’ll definitely be back.

As a novice who is also an old guy, I did have a few reservations on the way out as to whether I was still on trail because the blazes were a little sparse. But the trail itself was visible throughout, and the blazes were more numerous on the return. The fall color is just beginning, and I am wishing I could get back here in a couple weeks.

It was a nice hike with my kiddos. Definitely going to go back again!

Great trail. Rockshelter is amazing.

Gorgeous Rock House at the end of the loop. Amazing views on this moderate hike!

What a wonderful hike! Varied terrain, views, more little creeks/brooks than you can count. All of this leading to and from an amazing destination that is the Indian Rock House. Not once does the trail become monotonous or mundane - there is so much to see!
Make sure to bring a flashlight or headlamp if you want to explore the small cave within the rock house. If you go after a rain you will most likely get your feet wet as the trail crosses over the creek several times.
Really enjoyed it!

This hike had it all! Great views, rock formations, views, a waterfall, creek side parts, an old mine and quarry, and the cave is amazing! Definitely will go back! It was more strenuous that I thought, there was a LOT of uphill portions, but definitely worth it!

This hike is truly a marvel!!

Expose to nature at It's finest with waterfalls, caves, underground rivers, creeks.

I've walked this trail 3 times and plan on going back for more! Love seeing the mine and waterfall. I take my 7 yr old daughter with me everytime and plan on taking my 3 yr old son next time. Although I would advise that if you want to see the extended cavern in the rock house, do not go after a heavy rain. The spring fills to the brim making it impossible to pass to get to the inner caverns. Quite disappointing since us my favorite part of the trail. Overall it's an amazing hike full of beautiful views and great memories to make.

Pack a lunch and stay a while at the rock house. Nice outing.

My first hike and the reason I am addicted to hiking. Strenuous for a novice on the way out but doable. loved it!

This was a beautiful trail. There were waterfalls and the cave was pretty neat. When I did this trail there was a nice mist coming off the rocks.

Spring is best. Before the ticks come out. When you arrive at the enormous open cave and sit and listen you can feel the history of the place. There is a fast moving clear stream that enters into the cave from the back left corner and exits the left front corner. It is beautiful. The trail up and back is well marked. Pick up a map at the Ranger station at Buffalo Point as you go by. The "Bathtub" in the creek is awesome any time of year. Jump right on in! The flowers in Spring and the butterflies are amazing.

Great hike. Nice area with a waterfall and a few caves to explore.

wonderful trail! lots of caves and points of interests including a natural "bath". the Indian rock house is amazing! it's huge! It has a few sub caves along with a stream flowing through a little drop down hole on the side that you can get into. The cave is the halfway point on the loop and worth it!

This is a great trail, lot of rock structures. Hiked this one w/ my wife, sister-in-law, neice and grandson, that covers ALL age groups. If you time it right you can catch the waterfall, even frozen,. The cave with the chimney hole was fantastic, but the Rock House I had heard about, but in no way expected what I saw.Take your time, there is a lot to see. DO IT!!! 1/20/18

Thursday, November 30, 2017

LeeAnn and I hiked this November 2017. Had a great time easy half day hike. My first hike.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

My favorite hike in the region, definitely a must-do in the Ozarks. Plenty of shade as you make your way downhill through the forest, passing a couple magnificent waterfalls on the way. The trail runs parallel to a dry creek bed and a few smaller caves as you near the rock house. As for the rock house itself, it's a pretty stunning geological wonder. A most massive cave structure with a stream of water flowing through it. Bring a flashlight to explore some of the caverns. I climbed up through the chimney to explore the the roof of the structure... not much to see up there, it's completely forested over. As with any Arkansas hike, bring the tick spray! The hike back to the trailhead is uphill and slightly strenuous, but nothing compared to the elevation gains in mountain hiking out west.

Saturday, September 02, 2017

Words can't describe the beauty of this trail, especially the actually Indian Rock House it's self. Going in is VERY easy due to He fact your defend the majority of the time. Difficulty level coming out depends on the route you return on. If you take the trail to the right at the creek crossing back to the trailhead, it will burn your calves just a little but it's an awesome hike.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Great trail to hike. Steep on the way out back up the mountain. Strong legs required.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

7/16/17 Not too strenuous. Good hike for what it is. Saw quite a bit of water flow moving through small creeks but the main creek was dry. Didn't see any wildlife. The caves were pretty cool. Went all the was back up into the Rockhouse. The beginnings of stalactite are everywhere.

Friday, July 07, 2017

This trail has it all! caves, mines, coves, waterfalls and so much greenery.... just gorgeous. I would like to note that this trail is more than moderate difficulty due to the steep climb back up. The trailhead sign itself lists this trail as strenuous. It's worth the hike for sure.

Thursday, June 08, 2017

I loved this trail. There is so much to see I'm going to have to visit again just to catch what I missed the last time. The rock house itself is massive and worth the visit on its own!

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Kids loved it!!! So much to see and explore. My 5 year old got tired toward the end but my 7 year old did great. I will be taking the rest of the family next time.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

This is a great little trail that rewards you with so much, the Indian Rock House is pretty cool and worth the trek off the main trail.

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Easy Hike In. Difficult Hike Out. Worth the effort.