Learn more

Hurricane Creek Trail is a 11.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Hagarville, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 11.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,023 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail is poorly marked. In the spring there is a chance that streams are impassable.

9/28/2019. Pretty good trail. Easy to find and follow, but not marked. Somewhat overgrown and had spiderwebs across the trail for the entirety, but that’s to be expected this time of year. Hiked approximately 4 miles in, before finding a campsite I couldn’t pass up. Take the county road by the bridge all the way until the sharp left turn. Off to your right there is a pull off at the trailhead that looks like an ATV trail. This trail will run you right into a creek crossing after about a mile. There is a small “island” in the middle of the crossing and you won’t be able to see the trail until you pass it. Stay to the right, to the left the current is stronger. The water was nice for me, but may be more difficult with recent rain so use caution. Definitely need water shoes for crossing. Roughly 3/4 of of a mile past the crossing is a fork. I did not have a map, but I believe the one to the right continues the Hurricane Creek trail. It stays closer the the water at least. I went to the left which took me up the mountain and merged with the OHT. I followed this trail climbing the mountain for approximately 2-2.5 more miles until it dropped back down to the creek. Found a great backcountry campsite overlooking the water, which was cascading from the left and had a wonderful clear pool to the right about 5 foot deep. Perfect for swimming, and there were a lot of minnows, leading me to believe you may be able to catch a fish or two. There isn’t any real easy access to the water from there though, and I almost busted my butt from slipping on the boulders, so use caution when climbing down.

Mon May 07 2018

Caution: This is a tad on the long side, but I hope it will benefit someone so that they don't end up like my hiking group did when we set out to complete this trail. I am not a negative person and I HIGHLY looked forward to this trail and am saddened that our group was not able to complete it. **I will update this review and change the score if I am ever able to hike this trail in its entirety.** After following all the instructions to find this place (first left turn immediately after the bridge, by the way), our group followed the gravel road of 5881 until we reached the crook where you are to get on the trailhead. After parking and getting our packs on, we set off down what seemed to be the trail, but could not confirm because the trail does not have a single marker and is very poorly maintained, if maintained at all by anything other that apparent ATV tracks that have created the beginning of the trail path. We followed the directions and checked the coordinates multiple times to make sure we headed the correct direction as laid out by this site and the provided map. A short while later, maybe one quarter-mile or more, we encountered moving water (which we assumed to be Hurricane Creek) and attempted to ford it, but it was impassable without severe risk. After making it to a piece of land in the middle of the creek, we decided against trying to continue because there were no indications of a trail on the other side and the other half of the creek was much deeper and producing white water. Our group, now drenched to the thighs and boots filled with water, we returned back to the truck to make a plan B. If you are going here during the Spring, be wary, as this trail requires waders that are apt for trout fishing and some very good balance, otherwise you could get very wet or even hurt. If you end up in the same situation that we did, visit Pedestal Rock Trail, as it was one of the most beautiful hikes I've done in the area and isn't too far away from this one. Hope this will save someone a massive headache.

Mon Aug 07 2017

Plan on high water river crossings

Wed Jun 21 2017

Beautiful, small campground. Falls make a great place to wade. Friendly Racoons do don't leave out food.

Tue Oct 04 2016

Campground is a bit difficult to find, you have to keep going down highway 123 longer than the gps says to in order to find it. Rating would have been higher, but park isn't maintained very well and isn't monitored. We had some very unpleasant neighbors last night who were shooting pretty much constantly in the river gorge, long past dark. Didn't hike the whole falls because we were worried for our safety. Water level was down as well, but that's only because there hasn't been rain recently. May go back someday and hope for more agreeable campmates.

Thu Apr 07 2016

Beautiful area in the spring time.

Wed Mar 23 2016

As good as Arkansas can get

Tue Jan 19 2016

What a great place to do anything/ everything in the outdoors. My personal favorite place in the Ozarks. So much beauty. Also a great place to lay a blanket down on the rocks and watch shooting stars and "glow worms" on a clear night.

Sun Mar 02 2014

Nice area when the water is flowing. Been to Pam's Grotto many times and have never seen it dry even in the summer.

Mon Mar 18 2013

Great little NF campground, great setting with the falls. This is very popular rock climbing area, and their are waterfalls galore in the area when the water is flowing. We did the Pack Rat falls, and Pam's Grotto falls while there.

Thu Apr 26 2012

At back of campground enter trail for ozark highland trail but quickly turn right up creek. 1/2 mile up creek is packet falls. Gorgeous

Sat Dec 24 2011

One of my favorite spots in Arkansas! The campground has no electricity or running water, but has a decent restroom. You can hear the falls throughout the campground. The camping area is small and intimate and a perfect place to relax or explore. Honestly, it's a hidden gem!

Tue Sep 21 2010