Huckleberry Trail

Huckleberry Trail is a 4.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Greenbrier, Arkansas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

Directions from Conway: Travel 12 miles north on U.S. 65, then six miles east on Arkansas Hwy. 285 to the park.

We loved this hike! Great views - a place to swim if you wanted to ... pretty trails and we didn't see a single person out there! Enough up and downs to make it a workout. Shady at times and nice breeze off the lake other times. Terrific hike! Neat gift shop with friendly staff. Thumbs up.

*DISCLAIMER: I did not complete the full Huckleberry Trail. I will explain why in the trail maintenance section of my review.
Arrival Time: 10:15 a.m.
Departure Time: 1:00 p.m.
TRAIL MAINTENANCE: The trail was well maintained. There was no human trash on or near the trail. There was some debris from a recent rain that did cause a few sections of the trail to be more difficult. Near one of the bridges, there were a few logs and a large pile of small limbs and leaves against it. This made it slightly difficult to get onto the bridge, but not too bad. This was evident in a few other places, where the runoff water had pushed debris onto the trail causing a trip or two. This is natural and I do not blame the park ranger for this. I am just expressing that there may be small "bumps in the road." One of those bumps, was part of the Huckleberry Trail being closed. Roughly a week and a half before my arrival, the area got a large amount of rain. This caused a part of the trail to be closed. I understand this, I just wish this information would have been available. As I did not complete the trail, I will be returning to finish it. I would advise calling ahead to make sure this does not happen to you.
ANIMAL AND PLANT LIFE: The plant life is wonderful. Yellow, purple, white, and pink flowers can be seen. Honeysuckle is common and the area smells of it. Along the few small creeks, it grows heavy. Large oak trees provide amble shade, while smaller trees are plentiful. Along the Woolly Cabin Trail, there are some evergreen trees. As for animals, small lizards can be seen and heard. Birds were not as common, but some did make an appearance. Box turtles, the size of a baseball, can be seen roaming between the trees. I saw four on the trail. Upon seeing you, they either hide in their shells or walk off the trail a few feet. They may hiss, if you get too close, but otherwise do nothing threatening.
WARNING: Ticks are common. I pulled two off my leg while walking. Upon leaving the trail, one fell in my hair. I advise that you wear some form of head covering (hat or scarf-like wrap). Bug repellent may be needed. Near the water areas the bugs are active. They do bite and may leave small marks on the skin. Some of the low plants may cause skin irritations, such at itchiness.
CAMPING: I did not camp here, but did walk through the area. The electrical sites were well suited for a camper or RV. There were a few spots that had little to no shade, most had shade. The non-electric campsites were well shaded and had enough room for a large tent or multiple small ones. The restrooms were clean and were private. There was the main camping bathroom with a shower and two at the beach area (Separate men and women's). The beach area was decently sized. It contained benches and a few picnic benches for meals. They had a small area with information about the lake and about the founder. You can rent a canoe, kayak, fishing boat (no motor), or a pedal boat to take around the lake. I went on a very windy day, and did not get to try them out.

Overall, I am happy with this trail. It was wonderful and I recommend it.

Great trail! It's fun and easy to do, the views were amazing! Definitely didnt feel like 4 miles!

The lake is sometimes drained partially for maintenance, but still a great walk.

Good trail that's easy to access

Great short hikes for little kids. With very nice swimming beach and picnic area, it made for a nice all day family outing.

This is a nice little loop trail. Nothing spectacular, but a good hike. Good views of the lake and a waterfall when the water is flowing.

Really awesome hiking and biking trails!! Great lake to swim in, food to eat, and camping sites!! I would venture back!!

I thought it was interesting how diverse this trail was for being so short. While it wasn't spectacular, it was definitely worth the drive and I would return.