Horseshoe Mountain Trail

Horseshoe Mountain Trail is a 2.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lake Catherine State Park, Arkansas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Malvern: Take Exit #97 off I-30 at Malvern and travel 12 miles north on Arkansas Hwy. 171 to the park.

Beautiful trail. .25 mile in we came across a doe and her fawn. Trail could be better marked at the boulders. Not much shade halfway through the trail. Bring lots of water!

Not a bad trail at all. Hike is fairly uphill in segments, with leveled out areas for views of lake and distant mountains. Roughly takes about 45 minutes to an hour to complete entire trail. If you take your dog, take water for them. No water source on this trail at all, unless you got the falls after trail completed. Overall easy for me!!!

This was a nice trail for a morning jog. the longer Dam trail is better for scenery.

Went hiking with our dogs, loops around, the first .75 of a mile is a hike up but the views from the top are worth it.

This trail was a pleasurable generally mild hike with some mild bouldering & a beautiful moderately sized waterfall.

The trail is only 2.5 but marked 3.5 miles and takes roughly an hour to an hour thirty. Great views at the top. The longer more challenging dam mt trail personally is a much less trafficked and more rewarding hike. Overall it's a fun hike in the woods.

I hiked this with my 6 and 8 year old in an hour and a half. We thoroughly enjoyed our time and saw many deer. The elevation change wasn't too tough and the rocky bluff was fun to climb on. There is a particularly good view of Lake Catherine from the top of the mountain as well. We will definitely go back.

Tried this trail for the first time today. Really enjoyed it. I'm not in the best of shape but I'm trying to push myself. This trail had some challenges for this 40 year old gal trying to get fit but the rewards were worth it! My husband and I finished in under 2 hours.

Thursday, March 02, 2017

Wonderful and beautiful

Monday, February 27, 2017

Lake Catherine offers up one of a kind scenery and something of a hike. I did a rather large loop, of group of loops when I went. It was incredible!!! A great challenging hike with a switch of scenery here and there. This part of the hike was awesome, simple, and relaxing! It offered a peace, not many people out on the trails.

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Needed some early morning solitude and got it with this trail. Spent about two hours , moderate terrain. Was alone the entire time and it was just what I was looking for. Only a few Vistas but varied areas of terrain and foliage with wildlife to match.

Thursday, April 28, 2016

To me, this was the most boring of all the hikes at Lake Catherine. It's still a good trip for a family but I'd definitely do it with the other trails at Lake Catherine.

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Good, quick family hike.

Monday, February 29, 2016

Easy trail with beautiful views. I've done this one several times and haven't seen another person on the trail yet!!

Sunday, February 14, 2016

I think this was a easy trail, located on Lake Catherine State Park From I-30 take exit 97 go north about 12 miles on HWY 171 into the park all the way down just follow the trail signs. This trail is well marked with yellow blazes You will have a elevation of about 782 at the highest. There is about 3 vistas on this trail at first it will be up hill to rock formations then you will get views of the lake and plant then it bends back and down hill from there. The trail is rocky in places. No one else was on the trail, seen several deer. Its about 3.5 mile hike. I done all three trails in its entirety which means done the whole loop and started each one at the trail head. Now when you think your at the top its false it'll be flat for a bit then a small incline till the bend. My favorite spot was at the rock formations at the beginning of trail. This trail will intercept with the Falls branch trail but it will have a sign and a bench where it meets and just follow the sign.

Saturday, June 06, 2015

Nice peaceful trek, go after the dew is off the grass ,or wear gaiters the tall grass on top of the mountain will soak your socks. Did this one and the dam mountain trail both. Both are good hikes the dam mountain trail has two nice Vistas with a bench to oversee lake Catherine and the stream plant. Did not see any one else on the trail. till i got back to the falls.

Sunday, May 04, 2014

Easy. the climb up is short. trail is well marked. quiet. a couple scenic lookouts but maybe the best part of the trail is through tall grasses at the top. tranquil. didn't see anyone else on the trail at all.