Historic Van Winkle Trail

Historic Van Winkle Trail is a 0.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Rogers, Arkansas that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

The trail head parking lot, with restrooms, is located approximately 10 miles east of Rogers, AR, US Hwy 12. Walkers and hikers can access historic area via tunnel under Hwy 12. Interpretive sign panels describe the historic home and mill sites of the Peter Van Winkle family during the Civil War. Interpretive sign panels describe the historic home and mill sites of the Peter Van Winkle family during and after the Civil War. Also, there is a beautiful stream, spring and raised garden site. Only some rock foundation stones remain of buildings. ***The trail is ADA accessible with some assistance. Trail starts out concrete and becomes packed gravel.***

My daughter and I enjoyed it. Nice easy hike with some history.

Nice, easy walk w some Rogers history. Good walk to take little one's on & let them explore.

Neat little historical site. Easy to navigate and more of a trail past the sawmill site. That trail was Too muddy for us but the main walking area is compact gravel, dry, and easy to walk on. Combine with the other trail in the parking lot for a complete opposite adventure.

Great little historical family friendly hike/walk!

Very beautiful and significant history. Nice easy walk

nice

Fun historic hike. Great chance for a picnic with the kids while discussing past times.

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

nice little hike

Friday, March 24, 2017

great little trail. I recommend taking the unpaved path and exploring some!

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Great and historic trail for a short easy hike. Good for families with kids too.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

In the past, I'd been many times. Earthen trail, except for the area that leads under the roadway, for easy on the body walking. Beautiful all year round.

Monday, October 03, 2016

not much there, we went during the fall fest

Monday, July 11, 2016

Easy and peaceful

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Easy and short

Monday, May 02, 2016

another great day trip for my kids and me

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Very nice trail, family friendly. Beautiful area.

Friday, February 12, 2016

Very easy walk and interesting history. The lake is currently at 1,127' and comes all the way up to the Van Winkle Mill site. Be sure to take a leisurely hike on the Sinking Stream Trail while you are there.

Sunday, February 07, 2016

Super trail, well marked, with benches. Descriptive signs with historical photos and information made the adventure fun for everyone

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Trail was very easy, granddaughter really enjoyed it.

Monday, February 09, 2015

I first saw this trail featured on the popular AETN TV show "Exploring Arkansas." An event was listed, on the Arkansas State Parks website for Hobbs State Park, about a group tour with a park interpreter so I went for it. The park interpreter made this historical hike much more interesting. I want to go back again, with my camera, to catch the Sinking Stream Trail (like Stephanie said is at the same parking lot) on my next visit to Hobbs State Park.

Monday, October 20, 2014

This trail is not very interesting unless you like history. BUT! Keep going on your own toward the lake if it's low. Stay on the right when you can. You can see pretty rock bluffs, a little cave, and the lake this way. A good winter hike.

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Very easy and shaded trail with informational plaques along the way.

Friday, July 11, 2014

Very easy hike that had tons of information. I loved all the plaques explaining the history and seeing all the historical sites. The dogs loved splashing in the creeks and we loved the lake view. It was nice that sinking stream trail is in the same parking lot so its like a 2 for 1 and both trails are short and easy enough to do two in one day. Beautiful area!!!

Thursday, June 05, 2014

Educational and extremely easy hike...our youngest about stepped on a snake while here so keep an eye out (it slithered across the trail).

Friday, April 25, 2014

Didn't expect to see a neat part of beaver lake at the end of the trail.
This trail is for learning about the past and history of this area. Don't expect anything more that a brisk and easy hike.

Saturday, September 28, 2013

My kids and I really enjoyed this trail. What an absolutely gorgeous area! We saw tons of butterflies and played in the creek area for a few hours. We went early morning and the sunlight in this area was amazing. I blogged about our hike here: http://www.adventuresintheozarks.com/2013/09/historic-van-winkle-trail-at-hobbs.html

Thursday, September 26, 2013

I agree with Scott. It is not really a hike. It is a nice place to learn some history about the area though.

Saturday, June 08, 2013

Not sure I'd call this a hike but it is a nice place to walk. Very easy tail. If you get there early it is a nice place to view wild life. Take a picnic lunch and just enjoy. If you are in the hollow you can let your kids run around see them from the middle almost anywhere they go.

Monday, March 18, 2013

V an winkle trail is a casual walk through historic remains of foundations of an early homestead, mill, and a terraced garden built by slaves. The area was strategic during the civil war. Generally ADA accessible with assistance. Great for kids. Interesting historic aspects. For me the most interesting was the terrace garden built by slaves. Such indulgence by slave owners is poignant.

Tuesday, December 04, 2012

The worst chigger bit week of my life was suffered after completion of this easy walk. I won't hold it against the trail, I just got lucky.