Hemmed in Hollow Trail

Hemmed in Hollow Trail is a 5.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Compton, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Take Arkansas Highway 43 south from Harrison, Arkansas to Compton, Arkansas. At Compton, look for the Buffalo National River sign and turn south onto a gravel county road. Continue on the county road and follow the signs to the Compton Trailhead.

What an amazing waterfall. There is plenty of parking and very easy to find. The trail is well maintaned and very easy to follow. It is an extremely tough hike out since it is all up hill but that waterfall is so worth it. We went really early on Sunday and we had the falls to ourselves. We had snacks and enjoyed God's creation. Take your time on the way out and watch your step. We had a 10 year old with us and she did awesome! I would recommend this in the winter or fall time so there are no bugs or snakes. HIGHLY recommend this trail! Trekking poles HELP tremendously!

Beginning of trail is easy. End of trail is easy. Middle of trail is NOT easy. Great day weather was 21 degrees when we started 6 different groups hiking. Bet this is crowded on a pretty day

It was very muddy from the rain and ice but totally worth it to see the waterfall at the end.

The trail was not as bad as I was expecting it would be! Will definitely be making a trip back here again in the spring!

I actually accidentally went to this trail - meant to go to another one but couldn’t due to truck issues. Very glad I did. Took about 3 hours total going at a slowish steady pace and was pretty rough going back up (I was unprepared with not enough water), but the scenery was AMAZING, especially considering I had no idea that the waterfall was at the end. When you get most of the way down, make sure you notice the sign to go left for the waterfall, and the one that goes right for the river. Don’t miss the falls! A bit slippery in a few areas but it was manageable with boots.

One of the few trails I would want to do again someday.

great trail went recently no one was there very peaceful check out video of the trail below

This is a great trail with beautiful views throughout. Plan to get here as early as possible so you can make a day of it. There is a lot to explore and, depending on your fitness level, you may need some time on the long haul back up. Seriously, if you get winded going up a flight of stairs, this trail might not be for you; or maybe it would just take a really long time. Take something to eat and pack plenty of water (even in winter) to avoid cramps and exhaustion. I recommend planning a snack and long rest at the waterfall; enjoy the moment! Speaking of the waterfall, it’s definitely more impressive when the water is flowing, but the area is still amazing for the rock formations alone. Around early afternoon, you may get lucky and catch some rainbows in the water spray.
If you have smaller children, use your judgement based on their abilities/maturity/fitness levels. Our crew of eight all came away with varying degrees of soreness the next day - some worse than others.
We really took our time and were done in just under five hours. We probably could have done it in four if we were aiming for a quick in and out. If you want to explore the area more and check out the river (we have in the past), you could set aside 6-7 hours and use all of that time. Again, there’s a lot to explore and time passes quickly.
If it has been raining/snowing, you will likely get muddy. It will also be slippery in spots.
All in all a great day hike! Check out the JB Trading Company on your way out.

Hike was well worth it not for the waterfall but the rock formation that is at the very end. We went to the waterfall during flooding and excess rain to see a little waterfall a top a very large rock wall covered with ages of erosion that was well worth it. Make sure you are in good physical shape and travel together as the the trail is steep and extremely rugged and should only be embarked on if you hike frequently and have the correct gear, hike took about 4 hours with at least 3 camps that people will hang out at up and down that can be used as checkpoints, If you are extremely fit to where you can hike 13 miles I recommend taking the trail from the waterfall to the buffalo river as the scenery is beautiful combined with the utter isolation you’ll find yourself in as you have to drive 3 miles of dirt road to get to the trailhead

It was a beautiful hike with the fall foliage at or near its peak. Being that this was our first hike, we feel like we did well for our age. I would recommend hiking poles for the descent going down the step grade. Our knees differently felt the effects of the steep grade. We brought a lunch and blanket for a bite to eat and a break at the base of falls. Don’t expect much water coming over the falls. Even with the rain a few days earlier, there wasn’t much water running. Still a beautiful view with the shear limestone walls rising out of the tranquil valley.

Awesome trail! Take your time, pack some snacks, and make a day of it.

Really great out and back with a lot of delightful places to stop and enjoy cascading water. Near the waterfall, it was a bit slippery, and the way back is uphill, but the trail is well maintained. If you can, time a trip here after a good rain so you can catch the waterfall.

Hard trail, very slippery in spots but well worth the trip if your prepared! Bring water and snacks!

Very pretty, several waterfalls.

Hiked this trail yesterday. Goal was to hike to HIH, but we ended up hiking to the river instead. Missed the last “To Falls” sign on a tree (which is probably about 0.5 miles away from HIH) and instead saw the “To River” sign. So I’ll say keep your eyes open for the “To Falls” sign on a tree to your left once you pass the “0.7 miles to falls” post. We saw the sign on our way back up but wanted to get back as we had another trail to hike before dark. We were the only ones on the trail the entire time we were there. It was nice, quiet and peaceful. The hike back up gives your thighs a good burn (also didn’t help that I had leg day the day before). In total it took us about 3 hours RT. We stopped to take pictures a few times and also spent about 10 minutes at the river.

had a freaking big cat try to eat me!!
I've hiked this and floated to here many times. but I've never hiked at night intell my last hike.
be careful out there!!!

Go as early as you can! The falls are so peaceful alone and the sunlight at around 10:30a was beautiful on the waterfall. We saw several groups backpacking in on our way back up but had the falls to ourselves and had lunch in the fall basin. The trail is absolutely difficult but totally worth it. The fall/winter is probably the time to go if you want a drier hike. Overall very positive experience. But the hike up kicked our butts! We’ll probably try again in the spring to experience the green and water crossing.

Beautiful day for a hike. This is a strenuous hike if you are not in good condition. You begin the hike by descending down to the falls/river. But that means the trek back is uphill. The trail was pretty empty. We saw one guy on the way down and did pass a group coming down as we went up. The waterfall was a trickle but still worth the effort to hike it. Will be back in the spring when things green up and hopefully catch the waterfall flowing more.

This hike was a beast for me! Partially due to the fact that my brother lied and said it was rated moderate to get me to join in, lol. It’s a workout both ways but the hollow is breathtaking. When we went the waterfall was pretty light but still beautiful. This was my entryway to the world of hiking and I will always remember it fondly ❤️

Beautiful and hard...and worth it, for sure!!! Wear solid shoes, have your first-aid kit, and enjoy the views. Breathtaking!

Great little hike! Took my time heading down, went down to the falls and then doubled back over to the river. Didn’t time the trek as a whole, started off a little before 1pm and took my time at the river, the 2.3mi hike back up took 50 minutes for me at a steady pace.

Prepare for an uphill hike similar to mountain climbing and lots of stream crossings. Beautiful hike. Rightfully rated hard!

Yes it is a climb up but it isn’t as hard as a lot of people have said. Bring water and some snacks. There are a few places to stop on the way to take a break if needed. The waterfall was only a trickle but that meant we didn’t get wet crossing the streams. Truly a sight to see!

Great trail with an amazing ending! The cathedral is beautiful and the echos are awesome! The waterfall was only trickling very little but that made standing under it that much more fun to cool off. The hike down was pretty easy even though we broke a sweat. However the hike up made it the hardest hike I have ever encountered! It’s one of those that you give your hiking buddy a high five when you reach the top! It was really neat to see, but it’s safe to say I’ll probably only do it this one time.

Very nice, very tall falls. We got off our kayaks to hike up it. The hike there has a ton of scenery, you’ll cross several creeks to get there. Make sure it has rained prior if you want to see the falls in full effect. Well worth the trip.

Great hike, but be ready for the return trip!! Took us 1.5 hrs to get down, and 2hrs to get back up. You'll feel it the next day... Waterfalls and Creeks were all dried up in late September. Saw a 24" Copperhead at the waterfall site. Would recommend bringing sandals or watershoes if you want to swim or explore in the river bc it's hard to walk barefoot in all the rocks. River was pretty shallow, but could probably find deeper pools if you explored a bit. Save your energy for the hike up though!!

One of the hardest trail I’ve ever experienced BUT it is really worth it.
Even though, the waterfall was barely floating but it was beautiful and the formation of the surroundings was amazing.

I will do it again on the spring!!

This is one of the most difficult and most rewarding trails I’ve ever been on. The trail is well maintained and easy to navigate. The creeks and waterfalls were pretty dry, but the exposed rock formations were beautiful. There’s a really amazing overlook at the first campsite you encounter. It’s worth pausing for a minute just to take in the view. The “end” of the trail is so beautiful! It’s seriously like walking into a cathedral and the echo was one of my favorite features. The climb out was so hard. Had to stop for heart rate and breathing breaks. This trail is so worth the work you’re about to put in.

Instead of hiking from the Compton trailhead, we actually ended up hiking from a trailhead at Kyle's landing. The trail definitely need some maintenance and there were hardly any markers until you got to the compton trail pass and merged from there. From Kyle's landing, the trail doesn't have as much grueling up or down hill hiking, however you do end up crossing the buffalo river about 5 times out (10 total). It was also easy to get lost since the trail wasnt properly marked, we ended up down another trail that took us an extra mile in a circle. you get to see some really cool old barns and houses on this side of the trail though. it ends up being about 6.5 miles, if you don't get lost!

The hike there and back is not easy but the falls!!!! What a spectacular bluff. So much larger than I’d imagined. It was like walking into a cathedral, it creates a magical space to be in. There was only a trickle, but it was still beautiful. There is poison ivy around on most of the trail, but also so many lizards and butterflies. The way back up is serious with large rock steps and large rocks to climb on the way.

Beautiful fall !!