Hemmed in Hollow Trail

Hemmed in Hollow Trail is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Compton, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Take Arkansas Highway 43 south from Harrison, Arkansas to Compton, Arkansas. At Compton, look for the Buffalo National River sign and turn south onto a gravel county road. Continue on the county road and follow the signs to the Compton Trailhead.

Stunning views and a tough hike! Definitely bring extra water and take your time back up!

The falls were impressive and a good flow of water was coming down. I couldn’t imagine walking down there just for a trickle because the climb back up is a doozy! Not a long hike by any means but will definitely test your stamina and heart on some sections coming back up. Good times!

Went in March of 2018. The top of the trail head had a chilling breeze but the weather was warm as we went downhill. It was gorgeous despite most of the trees not yet blooming green. It allowed for more views from the heights as we progressed down.

We got off the Trail accidentally traveling down a partially dried creek ending back on the trail at the river and made our way to the falls from there.

Overall a great trail but reveling to ones current cardio fitness on the way back up. I had to stop several times to catch my breath. Totally worth it.

I'm an average hiker and this trail was challenging coming out of the hollow. It took about an hour to get down to the falls, well worth the time, I must say. It was beautiful!! Short hike to the river to see it's beauty as well. Coming out was tough. Multiple stops to catch my breath, it took me about an hour and forty-five minutes to reach the top. Take plenty of water and a snack.

I love this trail. Hard enough to make you have to rest but not impossible i would stay away from in the hotter parts of the year if your not in really good shape. Plus jb trading post is real close to the trailhead. Really cool store with really staff.

This hike was difficult! Downhill to get there and uphill the entire way back. Make sure to go when hemmed in Hollow falls are actually running. Otherwise it won’t be a worthwhile pay off

Had a wonderful hike down to the falls and slightly more intense hike back up to the trailhead. I was worried initially as the forecast called for partly cloudy skies with temperatures in the low 40s, but there was plenty of sun and the cool temps made for a pleasant hike. Was warned here and by other reviews to be adequate prepared, such as taking plenty of water and dressing appropriately (layers)...etc. The trip down only took me about thirty minutes and I had nice lunch alongside the falls. The trip back up took about an hour and fifteen minutes, due in large part to my frequent stops. I haven’t been that out of breath in quite a while. I kept telling myself that every step was one step closer to the trailhead, which I was grateful to finally see. Only encountered five other hikers while I was there, but wasn’t expecting it to be very crowded at this time of year.

One of my favorite hikes in the area, definitely more strenuous however totally worth the view once you reach the waterfall; also this hike connects with the goat trail which I would suggest doing if you’re trying to extend your hike and also see another amazing view from the goats tail.

The hike was absolutely gorgeous! It has rained four days very heavily before I went on this hike and it was very muddy! The falls was raging and it was such a gorgeous place to sit and have lunch. The walk back up was exhausting and now I’m walking like a baby deer but it was all so worth it!

One of the best

great and rewarding hike. This trail has much to offer. Honest advice, if you do not have strong and healthy trail legs then I do not recommend it. However if you want strong, firm, and toned glutes then by all means have fun on this trail! Fyi, take water and pack light.

One of the most beautiful hikes I've ever been on. I've been on this trail several times but usually go to the falls and get on the trail from the Buffalo River when kayaking. I would love to do the full hike from the beginning of the trail. maybe I will do it this year in the spring of 2018. I highly recommend it if you are an experienced hiker.

It’s a tough hike back out but sure worth it

Very hard, but rewarding

This was the hardest hike I have ever done, and perhaps the most memorable. The elevation change is incredible. straight down to the waterfall, then straight up to the parking area. A good old Arkansas summer thunderstorm hit on the way up making it a wet but fun hike back up. stunningly beautiful!

Fantastic trail especially in the winter. Great views the whole time! Decent bouldering in some spots. The hike back uphill will get the blood flowing but the hike down is as fun as it gets

Have been hiking this trail since 1981. The largest free fall waterfall between the Rockies and Appalachians. Beautiful, especially in winter.

Certainly a cool hike, I intend to go back after a big rain as the waterfall was mostly just dripping when we were there. Make sure to bring water, but the uphill hike back is not as bad as I thought it would be.

Great hike. I didn't know a 2 1/2 mile down hill hike would wear you out. But wait, the uphill hike will make you rethink the downhill part. Fantastic views, bring plenty of water. Finishing the round trip will give you a sense of accomplishment. Most strenuous, enjoyed it. Do It!!

Great hike. 500 feet elevation gain on way back

Beautiful falls, best after a hard rain. Bring lots of water on a hot day as the hike down is an hour and a half then you have to hike back up.

Great hike but you best be in shape for the return “ up hill” hike. Bring plenty of water and take breaks.

This is my favorite hike. We were lucky to go right after a rain. The view of the falls from the top was beautiful but nothing compared to seeing them up close from the bottom. Worth every bit of the muddy slide down and the muddied scramble up. This trail definitely earns it's difficulty rating for that though.

Really nice trail but like everyone said it is not for the casual hiker. It will kick your butt coming back up the traverse. Leaves are just starting to turn soo 2 weeks from now it should really be nice. Planning on heading back in early November foe some cooler temps.

I love this place been there 3 times all ready

Beautiful scenery and an amazing waterfall but wasn't flowing very strong. Would recommend going after a rainfall to get the full effect of the waterfall. The hike out is very difficult, all steep uphill. Definitely worth the hike.

Pack a lunch. Don't skip leg day. The trail is no joke

Way more badass than i was expecting.

Beautiful!!

Great trail with some amazing views along the way with a beautiful waterfall at the end. The hike back out is quite taxing with significant climb up out. Great hike! ❤️❤️ From Compton Trailhead it is ~5 miles round trip and took us 3.5 hours.