Hemmed in Hollow Trail

Hemmed in Hollow Trail is a 5.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Compton, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 5.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,404 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Take Arkansas Highway 43 south from Harrison, Arkansas to Compton, Arkansas. At Compton, look for the Buffalo National River sign and turn south onto a gravel county road. Continue on the county road and follow the signs to the Compton Trailhead.

Amazing hike lots of beautiful outlooks on the way down. Awesome swimming hole next to the buffalo at the bottom.

went on very hot day, very humid day, extremely difficult, numerous flights of steep steps. when they say it's a hard trail, believe it. take lots of water and snacks. would be much better in any season but the height of summer. waterfall is impressive but just a little trickle when we were there. a great challenge for the more fit. oh, and pack out your beer cans, cigarettes packages and butts & water bottles, you filthy morons!

Just remember...what goes down must go back up again. Rated hard for a reason but definitely worth it!

totally worth it, the falls are beautiful and it's a great work out coming back

This was a fun hike! The whole first part is downhill, but we didn’t think it was nearly as bad coming up as we thought it would be. The waterfall was spectacular! Definitely take water.

We hiked the “Hemmed in Hollow” hoping for a beautiful hiking adventure. It didn’t disappoint. It’s a 5 mile round trip of steep terrain, but the Hemmed In Hollow falls were worth the trip. We went on a 90+ degree day, but the canopy of trees keeps the temperature down for most of the trail. It got pretty hot towards the end as we were hiking up the steep inclines to hike out. Take lots of water, wear hiking shoes with good tread, and enjoy the journey.

We started at Kyle’s Landing where we were camping and it took us 3 miles one way. You cross the river five times and have some pretty heavily overgrown areas. It was so worth the hike!

This is a very tough hike, but totally worth it. The waterfall is amazing.

One of my favorites, this was a physically challenging hike with a steep downhill to the falls the first half of the way. As mentioned by other reviewers snacks and water a must. There was great views of the bluffs along the way and smaller waterfalls. Definitely had a strenuous dose of activity here.

We hiked from the river and this amazing waterfall was well worth the stop! If you are floating from Ponca to Kyle's Landing you can hike about .5 miles and be at the tallest waterfall between the rockies and the appalachians! It was an awesome experience!

We should've read some reviews before attempting this hike, and somehow we missed the huge sign at the beginning of the trail explaining the length and difficulty. I, along with my girlfriend and her 3 children ages 3, 8, and 13 set out to see the falls around 11:30. Halfway through the hike down to the falls, we ran into some other hikers who let us in on what was in store for us. We decided to continue as we had already spent a fair amount of time and energy getting that far. We finally made it to the falls, and it was absolutely worth it. The hike back out was not fun, but we all made it back to the parking lot at 17:30, including the 8-year-old who was wearing sandals. Definitely not the optimal footwear for ANY trail, let alone this one, but it serves as a testament that it can be done, but I certainly wouldn't recommend that or taking children under 5. If you do, be prepared to carry them most of the way. All of that being said, it's an absolutely beautiful trail, and fun, with a great reward at the falls. I'd definitely do it again, minus children.

This was such a great trail! My 10 year old & I did it together today plus we hiked from the falls to the river (7.03 miles total.) My kids hike quite a bit, so I knew he could finish it, but I wouldn’t bring my 7 or almost 4 year old. The trail is beautiful with some gorgeous overlooks. We spent time down at the falls for quite a bit & then headed over to the river. Absolutely beautiful there too. The hike out is hard work, but doable. We loved every minute of the day! Tons of poison ivy lining the trail, so be prepared that & some logs to climb over. But the trail felt well marked & I appreciated all the signage letting you know what was part of the trail & what wasn’t.

Strenuous, but worth it. I definitely don't recommend this one for children. The falls are pretty amazing.

Caught this waterfall from the canoe ride and was great. After hiking goat trail it was nice to get the reward of the falls without the tough hike back out. Just a 30min hike from the water and was a good Excursion off the float.

Tough hike especially coming back from the falls. The falls were so beautiful. Water was flowing and the weather was perfect!!

Great hike. Be prepared for steep elevation gain

When this one says hard, it means it. 1500 straight up. would not recommend for small children. Absolutely beautiful and worth the hike.

Started this hike down by the river where the old school house ruins are located. We crossed the river twice at the lowest points and made our way up the trail. This hike is rated hard because the hike out is steep and tiring, however, we just had to return to camp so this hike was actually quite easy. The hike is beautiful and Hemmed in Hollow is amazing. The water was barely flowing but still, it was a great site to see.

The hollow was incredible

Our 10 year anniversary, we hiked in from Compton to the river , crossed over and headed up another trail to an old homestead on the river, the fireplace is standing , and an old barn, very cool !! Would love to see this in the colors of fall. This trail is not for the weak or weary!!

lots of elevation change does make for a pretty strenuous climb in and out. however the berries were spectacular and the trail was in mostly good shape. overall this is one of the most beautiful hills in the Ozarks!

I have had this trail on the bucket list for a while and was finally brave enough to attempt it today. So glad I did. There is no joking about the strenuousness of the hike. It was definitely intense especially the 1,242 foot hike straight back up. But the views of the falls were spectacular! Well worth the trip. I definitely do NOT recommend bringing young children on this hike. There are several narrow parts on the trail and it was VERY muddy. You need good shoes and footing on this one. Bring lots of water for the trip back up. If you take your time it will be well worth it for sure!

This is the 7th trail in the area I've hiked in the last month. It's by far my best hike to date. The hike to the falls was easy with amazing views. Make sure you rest at the first cleared area...close to the halfway point...the view from the perch there is inspiring. If you look close there are 2 falls viewable on the bluffs across the canyon. The return trip is a challenge...a good hour at a fast pace of climbing rocks and conquering the terrain. Bring a good walking stick and dress appropriately...bring water, chocolate and fruit...the energy you expend is amazing. Make sure you go to the river after the falls it's a beautiful spot and a good warm up for the 1000ft ascent up the canyon. I will make this Journey many more times! It is a bucket list destination!!!!

Beautiful waterfall and views. It is rocky, slippery, and muddy throughout the hike and taxing to climb back up from the base of the falls. Do not underestimate the intensity.