Hemmed in Hollow Trail

Hemmed in Hollow Trail is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Compton, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Take Arkansas Highway 43 south from Harrison, Arkansas to Compton, Arkansas. At Compton, look for the Buffalo National River sign and turn south onto a gravel county road. Continue on the county road and follow the signs to the Compton Trailhead.

Yes it is a climb up but it isn’t as hard as a lot of people have said. Bring water and some snacks. There are a few places to stop on the way to take a break if needed. The waterfall was only a trickle but that meant we didn’t get wet crossing the streams. Truly a sight to see!

Great trail with an amazing ending! The cathedral is beautiful and the echos are awesome! The waterfall was only trickling very little but that made standing under it that much more fun to cool off. The hike down was pretty easy even though we broke a sweat. However the hike up made it the hardest hike I have ever encountered! It’s one of those that you give your hiking buddy a high five when you reach the top! It was really neat to see, but it’s safe to say I’ll probably only do it this one time.

Very nice, very tall falls. We got off our kayaks to hike up it. The hike there has a ton of scenery, you’ll cross several creeks to get there. Make sure it has rained prior if you want to see the falls in full effect. Well worth the trip.

Great hike, but be ready for the return trip!! Took us 1.5 hrs to get down, and 2hrs to get back up. You'll feel it the next day... Waterfalls and Creeks were all dried up in late September. Saw a 24" Copperhead at the waterfall site. Would recommend bringing sandals or watershoes if you want to swim or explore in the river bc it's hard to walk barefoot in all the rocks. River was pretty shallow, but could probably find deeper pools if you explored a bit. Save your energy for the hike up though!!

One of the hardest trail I’ve ever experienced BUT it is really worth it.
Even though, the waterfall was barely floating but it was beautiful and the formation of the surroundings was amazing.

I will do it again on the spring!!

This is one of the most difficult and most rewarding trails I’ve ever been on. The trail is well maintained and easy to navigate. The creeks and waterfalls were pretty dry, but the exposed rock formations were beautiful. There’s a really amazing overlook at the first campsite you encounter. It’s worth pausing for a minute just to take in the view. The “end” of the trail is so beautiful! It’s seriously like walking into a cathedral and the echo was one of my favorite features. The climb out was so hard. Had to stop for heart rate and breathing breaks. This trail is so worth the work you’re about to put in.

Instead of hiking from the Compton trailhead, we actually ended up hiking from a trailhead at Kyle's landing. The trail definitely need some maintenance and there were hardly any markers until you got to the compton trail pass and merged from there. From Kyle's landing, the trail doesn't have as much grueling up or down hill hiking, however you do end up crossing the buffalo river about 5 times out (10 total). It was also easy to get lost since the trail wasnt properly marked, we ended up down another trail that took us an extra mile in a circle. you get to see some really cool old barns and houses on this side of the trail though. it ends up being about 6.5 miles, if you don't get lost!

The hike there and back is not easy but the falls!!!! What a spectacular bluff. So much larger than I’d imagined. It was like walking into a cathedral, it creates a magical space to be in. There was only a trickle, but it was still beautiful. There is poison ivy around on most of the trail, but also so many lizards and butterflies. The way back up is serious with large rock steps and large rocks to climb on the way.

Beautiful fall !!

My wife and I along with another couple backpacked Sneed's Creek and then back to the Compton trailhead by way of Hemmed in Hollow. Very beautiful! Even though the waterfall was merely just a sprinkling of water it was still amazing to see the size of the wall! Hiking back to the trailhead with our backpacks on was extremely difficult, but exceptionally beautiful. Definitely a hard trail on the uphill hike to the trailhead. Would love to see the waterfall during the wet season. Next time may use this trail as a starting point and not an ending point.

Fun hiking trail! It's well kept, and marked good enough to reach the end and back with no issue. Waterfall is AMAZING, but more for its structure than anything else. Highly recommended if you can appreciate an aggressive hike from the Compton Trailhead. River was dry so no human traffic from river. We saw more wildlife than humans which is the kind of trail we like. Ran across 2 primitive camp sites, but no camping near the fall. A few pointers...remember, it's down and back (which is up) from the Compton Trailhead. If you can't walk or run 5k on flat ground, then this trail is not for you. Watch for rattlesnakes. We saw 3-4 ft rattler on the rock steps. If you use the post office as a landmark to find the trailhead, it's gone...looks burned down. Overall, a fantastic hiking experience!

This was fun! Minus the fact that we were the first on the trail and dealt with ALL the morning spiderwebs, it was a very unique hike. The reviews are all correct - bomb down and hike up. We actually found that it took us longer going down however bc we were being so cautious with footing.

While the waterfall was barely flowing, it was still nice to get underneath and cool off. We took lunch and ate down at the falls. Really beautiful and worth the hike down.

The hike up was a challenge but not crazy. Just about an hour of uphill hiking and lots of stairs. We took a few water breaks and heart rate breaks and had a great time!

Beautiful scenery. If you hike from the Compton trailhead, it is a heck of a climb coming back up. If you just want to see the fall, I’d recommend starting from the river. It’s short and sweet. However, I don’t know if there is any way to access the trailhead from the river unless you’re floating. Anyways, beautiful scenery and a truly great hike! Try not to do it in the extreme heat. I’d say basically anytime except for July-mid September would be the best time to go.

absolutely beautiful hike, take plenty of water with you.

This hike is difficult, pack plenty of water and a snack. It took us a minimum of three hours and the hike back up felt very daunting. Be warned that it’s definitely not easy.

It gets pretty crowded as a lot of canoers from the Buffalo make the hike from down there. The hike back up to the Compton trailhead can be pretty brutal too. Instead of hiking in from the top, you’re better off taking a day to float the river and making a quick hike up to the waterfall from there. That hike would be pretty short, so it would be well worth it.

The waterfall was neat, but the trails could have been more clearly marked (or marked at all).

I hiked this trail Sunday May 7th 2018. It was very well marked and cleared well. It was a few days after a good rain and the falls were running great. I was surprised to see the parking lot very crowded and I passed several large groups of people on my hike. The views were great and the big falls were amazing. I'm definitely going back. It took me about 45 minutes to get to the falls with a few stops for pictures and a little over an hour to get back up the mountain. If you are not fit enough for this hike and just want to see the falls, it's much easier to access the falls from the river by canoe, kayak or raft. From the river to the falls is a short hike that is much easier than the trail up and down to the Compton trail head. I highly recommend this hike!

This was a tough hike. Fun, if you like a challenge. The trip back was the hardest part, as it is all up hill. I was nervous about trying it after reading some reviews. But, it’s doable for most with average physical ability. I saw several families with children on this trail. The waterfall was beautiful. Bring plenty of water and wear good shoes!

Great trail. Nice scenery. The hike back up is hard, but it’s a great cardio workout.

Not the prettiest waterfall, but I believe it is the tallest in Arkansas. Trail was easy going down, but difficult going back up! Take plenty of water!!!

It's a cool hike and a great workout, but I was personally a little let down by the waterfall itself. Perhaps I need to stop expecting so much from waterfalls, but it is almost non-existent unless there has been rain recently. It is still a cool cliff face, but not what I was expecting.

Awesome trail!!!! The scenery is towards the bottom as you near the Fall area. Easy trail to follow, but be prepared, and ready for a workout going back up to the trailhead. Be sure to go when you know the water is going to be running. Absolutely a beautiful area.

great trail, with wonderful scenery along the way and a awsome waterfall at the end

Stunning views and a tough hike! Definitely bring extra water and take your time back up!

The falls were impressive and a good flow of water was coming down. I couldn’t imagine walking down there just for a trickle because the climb back up is a doozy! Not a long hike by any means but will definitely test your stamina and heart on some sections coming back up. Good times!

Went in March of 2018. The top of the trail head had a chilling breeze but the weather was warm as we went downhill. It was gorgeous despite most of the trees not yet blooming green. It allowed for more views from the heights as we progressed down.

We got off the Trail accidentally traveling down a partially dried creek ending back on the trail at the river and made our way to the falls from there.

Overall a great trail but reveling to ones current cardio fitness on the way back up. I had to stop several times to catch my breath. Totally worth it.

I'm an average hiker and this trail was challenging coming out of the hollow. It took about an hour to get down to the falls, well worth the time, I must say. It was beautiful!! Short hike to the river to see it's beauty as well. Coming out was tough. Multiple stops to catch my breath, it took me about an hour and forty-five minutes to reach the top. Take plenty of water and a snack.

I love this trail. Hard enough to make you have to rest but not impossible i would stay away from in the hotter parts of the year if your not in really good shape. Plus jb trading post is real close to the trailhead. Really cool store with really staff.

This hike was difficult! Downhill to get there and uphill the entire way back. Make sure to go when hemmed in Hollow falls are actually running. Otherwise it won’t be a worthwhile pay off