Hemmed in Hollow Trail

Hemmed in Hollow Trail is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Compton, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Take Arkansas Highway 43 south from Harrison, Arkansas to Compton, Arkansas. At Compton, look for the Buffalo National River sign and turn south onto a gravel county road. Continue on the county road and follow the signs to the Compton Trailhead.

amazing

This was an amazing hike, it was all downhill on the way to the waterfall. I climbed all over the rocks at the waterfall and got amazing views, pictures, and of course experience. The hike back was difficult considering it was entirely uphill. Overall, it was worth it and I would do it again!

The hike down is long but mostly downhill. The hike back is uphill and is difficult after you have already spent hours down at the waterfall and climbing all the rocks around it to get good photos. Overall it's very beautiful!

awesome views. hard trail on the way back up

I've hiked this twice, tomorrow will be my third time. Great views! I didn't feel the hike was as challenging as many say, but I can see why it's viewed as difficult. The hike out is uphill the whole way. The view of the falls is spectacular and well worth any effort to get there. I have seen hogs, bears, deer, and snakes on the trail so be safe and enjoy all there is to offer!

This is a great trail! The views from the trail are phenomenal, and I cannot tell you the number of wild flowers and various animals I saw. Plus, the waterfall is a must-see. There wasn't a lot of water the day I was there, but it was still very impressive.

The hike up and out isn't as bad as it's made out to be - it took me a little less than an hour to hike the 1.8 miles from the intersection. That's about half my speed on a flat trail - it is, after all, quite the steep climb. I regularly find myself on steep trails (Granny Sneed's cabin back to Centerpoint trailhead, Smith Creek from the falls to the trailhead, White Rock Creek falls up to White Rock Mtn., etc.), so I've had plenty of practice. Just take it slowly if you need to and enjoy the views!

I followed Ernst's directions to the second waterfall - it's not terribly difficult to get to, but it's no cakewalk. I did NOT follow his instructions for getting to the top of the bluff, though. That seemed beyond my skill level and my energy level.

Awesome hike. Hiked out there today and the falls were rolling!