Centerpoint to Goat Trail

Centerpoint to Goat Trail is a 5.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ponca, Arkansas that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

The trail's destination is the Big Bluff overlooking the Buffalo River. It is considered the tallest along the Buffalo, over 500 ft. tall. The side trail that leads to an outcropping on the bluff is called the Goat Trail, about 350 ft. tall, It is not for kids, the weak or those afraid of heights. The trail is virtually all down hill on the way to the Bluff and the side trail called the goat trail. Consequently plan extra time on the hike out as its all uphill. The goat trail segment takes you over a narrow out cropping on the bluff about 350 ft. tall. It is not for kids, the weak or those afraid of heights. A very scenic look over the Buffalo River valley, but exercise extreme caution, as people have died falling of the goat trail. Their are several connector trails in the Buffalo River Valley. You could spend a week in the area. Very scenic.

50 minutes ago

Awesome views and well worth the effort it takes to get back to the truck.

Beautiful! I'm from Texas and just started the hiking game. It was breathtaking!! That was partly from the views and partly from the way back up. Like literally took my breath... I just started making my overweight self do some cardio a couple months ago. Honestly, most able-bodied person can do this hike! I'm working up to a big hike in September so wore my 30-40 pd backpack. I stopped several times to enjoy the views and out of need on the way back up.

Great shade and only a couple people. Wear hiking shoes FOR SURE and will need lots of water on the way back up.

Fun trail! Took me 3 hours. I ran some. The bluffs are beautiful. Great morning hike. Today there was thick fog until about 9:30 but it had cleared by the time I got out to the bluffs. Awesome views. Easy-moderate trail until you get near the bluffs. Then you just have to watch your step. Nothing crazy, but pay attention. Some slick spots. The first half off the trail is smooth enough to run a lot. If you're going out before most people (I didn't see others until 10) bring a stick to clear spider webs. There were a lot.

Ouch. Not for a rookie like myself.

beautiful views at the end. trails are in good shape. agree with previous poster who writes the rest of the journey is rather basic. good exercise tho'. bring bug spray. and lots of trash at the end of Goat Trail. pack it out, please!

This was tough! I camped at big bluff and hiked to hemmed-in falls the next morning and back out to centerpoint trail head. The walk back was brutal.

Goat trail offers incredible views and photo ops but the hike down Centerpoint to it is unremarkable except of course for the wonderful opportunity to enjoy the outdoors. I'm sorry to give this Trail three stars for that reason because I imagine it's festooned with beautiful colors in the Fall and quite a treat.

A good hike but not for those faint of heart or who question their abilities.

Made a second trip, even better the second time. Caught in storm while hiking out, made for a very entertaining trip.

This trail was awesome!!! It's 3 miles in, 3 miles out. The way in is pretty easy (all down hill) and going out it is very strenuous. If you have bad knees, I'd suggest you find another trail. I went as far as the cliff sides, but there's a trail that takes you farther (down to the river?) I didn't have time to see what it was, but again, it's all downhill... STEEP downhill, so coming back up would have been additionally exhausting. From the trailhead it took me 1 hour going pretty fast to get to the caves/cliffs. They are spectacular and provide great views. Took about and hour and a half back to the trailhead. Stretch afterward!