Centerpoint to Goat Trail

Centerpoint to Goat Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ponca, Arkansas that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

The trail's destination is the Big Bluff overlooking the Buffalo River. It is considered the tallest along the Buffalo, over 500 ft. tall. The side trail that leads to an outcropping on the bluff is called the Goat Trail, about 350 ft. tall, It is not for kids, the weak or those afraid of heights. The trail is virtually all down hill on the way to the Bluff and the side trail called the goat trail. Consequently plan extra time on the hike out as its all uphill. The goat trail segment takes you over a narrow out cropping on the bluff about 350 ft. tall. It is not for kids, the weak or those afraid of heights. A very scenic look over the Buffalo River valley, but exercise extreme caution, as people have died falling of the goat trail. Their are several connector trails in the Buffalo River Valley. You could spend a week in the area. Very scenic.

Definitely worth it but watch your step once you get out on the bluff.

I would recommend this trail to anyone looking for breathtaking views and is also in decent shape. The way down to the bluffs is pretty easy as it’s downward slope, but you’ve got to watch for the loose rocks. There was a lot of ice on the trail and downed trees on the goat trail due to ice. It was still passable - we crawled through the hole opening in the wall before the big bluff. The way back is steady uphill, but manageable. I definitely recommend getting there early because I saw a ton of people on my way out (between 12:30-1:00 PM), so around 9 AM should be early enough. Dogs are not allowed on the trail. :( Wonderful hike!

pretty views. lots of ice today on the bluff

Well worth the hike just use extreme caution when on the bluff

Downhill all the way to the bluff but totally worth it. I wouldn’t bring your kids, the bluffs are steep and trails narrow. The last half mile or so is straight up hill and brutal but overall a pretty easy hike

One of the most beautiful trails I've been on. Took the trail less traveled, went to the end of the bluff, climbed down to the river, hiked the river on Old River Trail, climbed out to the homestead on Sneeds Creak trail, and made it back up. Was total about 10-10.5 miles.

This trail is super easy to follow. The view is breathtaking! You think it ends but it doesn’t! It’s about a 6mile hike there and back.

The two bluff trails are pretty unique as far I know and the scenery even on a rainy winter day is great. The trail is well maintained and easy to follow.

Hiked to the end of the Goat Trail today with hubby and 3 kids (14, 8, and 6). Yes, it could be dangerous if you don’t watch your children, but be responsible and stay safe. I certainly wouldn’t say “not for kids.” Maybe not all kids, but if you have an active family,it’s worth the effort. Everyone enjoyed the hike and the views at the end of Goat Trail. The hike out is uphill as all the reviews state, but I’d rather hike uphill than down, so I prefer it this way. Giving it 4 stars because there are some places that are really muddy, and there isn’t a lot to look at the first couple of miles. We walked to the trailhead from our cabin, so we went close to 7 miles total. Even the 6 year old said it was worth it!

Definitely a no kids hike. First 3/4 of trail is just a pretty walk down into a steep ravine. You come to a clearing , veer to the right then follow a counter clockwise trail around an outcropping onto the bluff face. The down hill is moderately challenging due to very uneven terrain. I went after a rain and it was extremely muddy. Essentially the trail is one giant drainage feature. Very fun, very messy. Wear sturdy boots with good ankle support. The actual bluff is stunning, I was the second car in the parking lot and had the area to myself for a memorable lunch hanging on the ledge. I could see where it would be challenging for people afraid of heights. The way back is by far the most difficult part of the hike. It’s 2.5 miles straight back up the ravine. I am a little chubby and had to stop frequently for heart rate breaks. Was it worth it ? Will I do it again? Hell yeah! By far the best view in Arkansas. Definitely beats yellow rock and the Crag The area is amazing and am currently planning a backpacking trip around hemmed in hollow. Pace yourself , pack some water , wear sturdy shoes, and make some memories while getting In some cardio!!!

Beautiful view when you finally get down to the goat trail.

Lunch looking over the Buffalo. The price for the view is paid on the way out. It was not busy at all today and had the bluff to ourselves for lunch. Be sure to stop in at BOC in Ponca..

Easily the best view of any hike I’ve been on in Arkansas. Amazing! Once you get to what you think is the view, keep going, it only gets better. It took us 2 1/2 hours total. Mainly uphill all the way back but if you’re in good shape it shouldn’t be a problem. I don’t recommend taking little kids. Too dangerous. I am terrified of heights and had to force myself to walk across the big bluff. It was so worth it. And the juniper trees look like works of art. Unbelievable view.

Not much of a trail till you hit the goat trail. Once you are there though you are rewarded with one of the best views in the Ozarks. Take a seat, have a snack and soak it in. Know your limits, but don't let the goat trail intimidate you. It's a sidewalk.

The hike in and out isn’t too spectacular, going in you have a nice vista of the surrounding mountains but they quickly disappear. Personally I found this trail more annoying to descend, it’s very rocky and rutted up by horses (which, I’m not sure this is the best trail for horses...) if it’s wet at all it becomes very marshy and muddy. The payoff is more than worth it and I definitely plan to hike this trail again and spend time in the backcountry. There is much to see and enjoy. The hike out was not bad and the ascent is spread out. I only remember one difficult hill that’s about 2/3 of the way back, the rest is easily manageable. Also I only logged 640ft of elevation gain and I was back and forth on some of the trail multiple times so I think the 1000 some feet of elevation gain isn’t quite right. It’s definitely not that severe.

Beautiful views

Absolutely Beautiful! Some of the prettiest country I have ever seen.

It was a difficult trail for me to complete, but I loved it.

Easy down not so easy up. Lunch with the view was worth it.

The Big Bluff is very cool with Amazing scenery. I would definitely rate higher than Whitaker Point.

Great view. May get a little boring on the way out.

Amazing views of the buffalo river valley well worth the hike.

Amazing views that are well worth it. Bring lots of water! I logged 14 miles the first day just doing this trail and bouncing around various river trails. Save some energy and water for the hike back!!!! It’s all uphill and seems to never end. Loved this trail.

Just spent 3 days in the area. Trail is moderate to the Bluffs. However, from the top of the Goat trail, Centerpoint trail becomes difficult heading down to ORT. Bluffs are beautiful. There’s even a cave big enough for a small tent in the Bluff.

Absolutely amazing view. 350’ above the Buffalo National River.

Absolutely stunning views from the top of Big Bluff. I stayed in a cave off the side of the cliff. Had to take my pack off a few times, but the trail continues on where it looks like it stops. There are several caves to camp out in. The hike back was uphill almost the entire way. Well worth it though. One of my favorite trips, hands down.

Great hike. Bring plenty of water

Worth it!

I'm only giving it a four star rating (and not a 5) because it is ALL up hill on the way back!!! I know.... I was warned, but I went (for the second time) on a very warm day; that was not the best idea. Love this trail and the bluff. I is easy to navigate without getting lost which is always a plus for me. I enjoy myself a lot more when I'm not too worried about taking a wrong turn.

We enjoyed Centerpoint to Goat Trail. The views were amazing. The hike out is uphill like everyone says. We were exhausted from a full day’s hike connecting other trails.

We hiked over to Sneed’s Creek, and cut through to Hemmed in Hallow. Made for a great day trip. We drank about 3 liters of water each for the whole day. It’s was overcast and misty though, we might would have needed more had it been sunny and hot. There are also man made campsites (clearings) along the way of each trail we encountered. All around a great area to spend a weekend.