Centerpoint to Goat Trail

Centerpoint to Goat Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ponca, Arkansas that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

The trail's destination is the Big Bluff overlooking the Buffalo River. It is considered the tallest along the Buffalo, over 500 ft. tall. The side trail that leads to an outcropping on the bluff is called the Goat Trail, about 350 ft. tall, It is not for kids, the weak or those afraid of heights. The trail is virtually all down hill on the way to the Bluff and the side trail called the goat trail. Consequently plan extra time on the hike out as its all uphill. The goat trail segment takes you over a narrow out cropping on the bluff about 350 ft. tall. It is not for kids, the weak or those afraid of heights. A very scenic look over the Buffalo River valley, but exercise extreme caution, as people have died falling of the goat trail. Their are several connector trails in the Buffalo River Valley. You could spend a week in the area. Very scenic.

Long hike to get to the Goat trail, but it’s worth the trip. We arrived at 6:30am to beat the heat. Being the first ones on the trail there were tons of spider webs, just like many others have mentioned. We also saw a small snake.

Round trip: 7.3miles
Elevation gain: 2,014ft
Time: 4hours

"Moderate Hike" only applies to the trail down, and should be rated "HARD" on the way back, as it's all uphill over rocky terrain. We love the hike down the river, as not many people make it to this part of the river in the middle of summer (not enough water to float), so it can be very private. Watch out for SNAKES. We saw a fully grown Timber Rattler slither across the trail around 2pm on 7/22/18 roughly 8 foot ahead of us. When i say fully grown, I mean 4 foot long and 10-12 inch around.

Definitely not my favorite trail to go hiking on. Take tons of water with you. My friend and I arrived at the trail at 10:00 am, it was about 77 degrees out. Getting to the bluff was not too bad besides walking through thousands of spiders. (If you are the first one on the trail, take something with you so you can get the spiders out of the way.) On the way back we almost died (somewhat being dramatic but not really.) It was 95 out when we began our hike back. So stay hydrated!!

The end result is absolutely beautiful. However, what some people fail to mention is the amount of spiderwebs you have to hit down. My friend and I were the first hikers of the day—we had to knock down (not exaggerating) about 100 spiderwebs WITH spiders on them.

We got to the (beautiful) bluff, hung out for awhile, and went back. The hike back nearly killed us. It was pushing 100 degrees and the hike up the mountain was horrid with all of the bugs buzzing around.

I would advise doing this trail when it’s cooler out because of the amount of bugs, spiders, and hills you’ll have to go up.

This hike isn't too difficult and the view is AMAZING. There is a place in the bluff where you need to crawl through a small opening, which may be difficult for dogs and some people. One of the most beautiful views I've ever seen.

Hiked this trail today. We ended up going close to 7 miles round trip. The trip down to the bluffs is pretty rocky so you .definitely need good shoes and some poles would be good too. It is mostly downhill in and mostly uphill out. But so worth it! We didn’t go the whole way in the goat trail but the part we did see was pretty amazing and we saw some amazing rock formation in the bluffs. One part looked like some kind of cave dwelling the view of the buffalo river was also pretty spectacular as well. I would like to come back in the fall when there aren’t as many trees blocking the view on the way to the bluffs.

Nicely kept. Well marked and easy to follow. Gets muddy fast and there are tons of different rock sizes throughout the path. Be sure to wear supportive shoes. We went in summer so the hike was pretty much just through tree canopies without much of a view but he bluff has a great view for a lunch time stop. Overall a pretty hike with a challenging hike back the the trailhead.

A must hike if you are in the area. It’s worth driving down from KC, as did a couple I met on the trail. Not a solitude hike - I met 10+ people and two horses on the trail, and more at the trailhead. If you need to cool off after, hop in the Buffalo at Ponca.

3.5/5
The views from the outcropping are one of a kind. You can see the river and surrounding terrain for a great distance, and everything looks kind of stereoscopic from that height. There are some cool formations and paths in the outcropping itself, too.
The views along the way, however, aren’t good. In fact, you’ll spend most of your time looking down to find sure footing on the chunky/rocky path. The view is definitely worth the hike, but you’re looking at ~2hrs of sort of boring travel in order to see it.

This hike is rocky, but well worth the spectacular view. Leave your Chacos at home and wear trail shoes or hiking boots!

Great views of the Buffalo River - loved the bluffs and winding trail along the rocks. No ticks were found, although a ranger did mention that some of the lesser traveled trails nearby had many problems with this. Loved the views--beautiful!

A fairly easy trail except for about 1/4 mile section coming back up. Other than that, highly recommended! Go during the week to avoid a lot of foot traffic. I went in mid September and saw 0 other people, it was fantastic. I’ve also hiked it on the weekends and it was a few more people than you might want. Hiked it on January 1st as well, and that was perfect weather (not as pretty without the leaves though).

Beautiful!! The trail leading out is extremely rocky so hiking boots are recommended. The goat trail is very narrow - I would not take young children up or anyone frail or afraid of heights. Amazing view!

This hike was a little more strenuous that initially anticipated but the views from the bluff were great. We were there in the fall and the colors were beautiful. I would recommend hiking boots and possibly trekking poles depending on skill/ability. Part of the hike is through a drainage area during rainfall so expect mud if it recently rained.

The views while walking along the bluffs were awesome! The rest of the hike, we couldn't see anything besides dense forest. Also, several sections of the trail were in fairly poor condition, with some steep sections of mainly loose rocks.

Hike this last year. Amazing views along the goat trail. Views make the strenuous hike back up well worth it.

Spectacular views of the Buffalo River valley! A bit strenuous hiking back up. Would certainly recommend bringing water, some high protein snacks/lunch, and a pair of hiking boots to traverse the loose rock and occasional muddy patches. Trekking poles may come in handy as well on the steeper portions.

Well, I had high expectations and the pictures were amazing. Unfortunately for me, the growth was up quite a bit already and the views were limited. I think it would be wiser to complete this hike early spring before the growth takes off or after the leaves drop.

Beautiful. The best views we’ve seen. An amazing spot!

Beautiful trail. The parking is a gravel parking lot right off the road. Very easy to find. I went on a Monday morning and the trail was not busy at all. The views are breathtaking. The hike back out is extremely hard. All up hill and there are about 4 big hills you have walk up. I would suggest taking trekking poles and LOTS of water. You will need it on your way out. The trail is very well marked and easy to follow. This trail is hard but the views are well worth it! I definitely will be coming back!!!

Great hiking trail, that return leg is incredible steep. Make sure you bring plenty of water!

well marked, good distance for a day hike, fun scenery

Simply amazing!

The goat trail is one of my favorite hikes in this area. Easy but rocky downhill hike on the way in and a little challenging coming back out. The amazing views from the bluffs are well worth the effort!

Did this back in 1979. Visited Hemmed in Hollow. Beautiful scenery !

I’d say “moderate” is a fairly conservative rating. Pretty rocky in places and the uphill hike back is no joke. My legs are gonna be worthless in the morning. However, the views were worth every step. Absolutely incredible!

We hiked this trail the other day. It was a little over 6.5 miles roundtrip taking the Goat Trail to the Big Bluff with around a 1000 ft. descent going in and a 1000 ft. ascent coming back. The trail is an old logging trail and can be rocky at times. The views are definitely worth the hike. The goat trail is narrow, but is not dangerous if you are paying attention. Bringing a lunch and having a picnic at the Bluff is a memory that we will cherish.

This is one of my favorite hikes in the Buffalo. It’s view is stunning. The hike is difficult but so worth the effort! You can continue the trail down to the river but sometimes it’s closed so beware!

Down the entire way to the goat trail and bluff so be prepared for that! Some of the descents (and eventually ascents) are steep and the rainy weather makes them all that much more difficult but not bad at all and very doable! I’m not in shape and I only had to take a break once at the very end.

The scenery is nice on the way to the goat trail, but the goat trail is gorgeous and makes the whole trip worth while and then some! Highly recommend. We stopped and spent a good amount of time at the end and still got back to the car in 3.5 hours.

I absolutely love this trail. Somewhat challenging but very much worth it. If you’re a photographer, great place to go shoot! :)