Centerpoint to Goat Trail

Centerpoint to Goat Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ponca, Arkansas that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

The trail's destination is the Big Bluff overlooking the Buffalo River. It is considered the tallest along the Buffalo, over 500 ft. tall. The side trail that leads to an outcropping on the bluff is called the Goat Trail, about 350 ft. tall, It is not for kids, the weak or those afraid of heights. The trail is virtually all down hill on the way to the Bluff and the side trail called the goat trail. Consequently plan extra time on the hike out as its all uphill. The goat trail segment takes you over a narrow out cropping on the bluff about 350 ft. tall. It is not for kids, the weak or those afraid of heights. A very scenic look over the Buffalo River valley, but exercise extreme caution, as people have died falling of the goat trail. Their are several connector trails in the Buffalo River Valley. You could spend a week in the area. Very scenic.

Beautiful views. Downhill on way in so plan for uphill on way back. We rested a little on way back up. Really worth it.

We hiked down to the bluff first! Amazing views!! Easy trip down!! Then we hiked above the bluff!!! Even better views!! Next we went back to the bluff then went right further down to the river!! Worth the hike down!! After the river we went to granny’s house!! Neat little place!!! Lastly after all of that we hiked ALL the way back up!!! We spent about 6-7 hours exploring!!! The hike from top to bottom was rough so take breaks and go steady. Had we just don’t the bluff it probably wouldn’t have been to hard back up. Enjoy!!!!!

This hike is totally worth the view! It took us a little under an hour to make it down and about an hour and a half to make it back up. We brought a lunch and hung out on the bluff for a little while. Make sure you bring enough water and a snack. The hike back up has some hard patches, but it’s doable. We stopped about 3 times on the way back out for a breather and water break.

No real scenery until you get to the cliffs but once you get to the cliffs the view is amazing!

Nice hike. Nice views. Good cardio going back up! I definitely recommend doing an overnighter. Really nice!

Great overlook! Well worth the uphill trek out!

Hiked down to the goat trail in the snow on January 14th. It was beautiful and worth every step. Kinda steep coming back up hill. A must see!!

The hike back up is no joke!! Not to mention the decent being somewhat difficult as well. I’m a young, slightly out of shape, but otherwise healthy person and it was definitely doable, but by no means leisurely. The views are totally worth it, even in winter!! The actual bluff/ goat trail was not as intimidating as I thought but I’m not afraid of heights in the first place. Personally, I would not bring kids even though I saw some on the hike. There was even a family with a baby and a stroller and they were definitely having a difficult time back up. Otherwise I 10/10 recommend this hike!

Great trail. Very nice winter views! Like the previous reviews say easy walk to Big Bluff...all downhill. Hike out another story all uphill.. definitely allow extra time heading back to the trailhead. Great wildlife saw both deer and wild hogs on my hike. Be very careful on the Goat Trail on the Bluff! You can still get amazing views without crossing the ledge. It is literally breathtaking! Worth the walk!!!

I’m 62 yrs young and have been hiking this trail since 1981. I hiked it three times since October in preparation for a trip to Israel to climb Masada. It was a perfect training hike! Spectacular views, great workout, and a very special place to reflect on how fortunate we are that the Ozark Society lobbied Congress to declare the Buffalo River as our first national river. It is protected forever!

Amazing

Beautiful hike with a stunning bluff view at the end of the trail!

The views were spectacular! Even with the bare trees this time of year the scenery was breathtaking.

It was awesome. I'm not the best hiker but this one is a must. Easy going down to the trail little more work coming back up but no problems. Beautiful view.

First mile pretty easy with second mile little more downhill and you have to watch your footing here and there, once you get to the Bluff and goat trail it is spectacular! From the 100 year old junipers to the view of the buffalo river below along with the beauty of the geology. We even saw a cactus growing out of the Bluff ready to bloom overhead!
The walk out only has few spots that worked the legs but otherwise worth every bit of effort

This trail is no joke for those of us who are average hikers. I'm in no great shape by any means so this may be an easy trail for you young, fit, whipper snappers but I'm almost 40 with added natural insulation. I'm grateful that I had on hiking boots (if you're prone to rolled ankles or not so stable on your feet, wear boots!), and two trekking poles. The poles were a life saver!
The first mile has a bit of an up and down but nothing extreme. It's a little rocky in areas so watch your step. If you want to look at the view then stop and look; don't try to look and walk through the rocks.
When we went it was somewhat foggy so the view over the side wasn't as great but it was beautiful with the leaves changing color. Right before you get to the downhill section there are two rocks on the right side. Take a break, adjust your shoes/boots, tighten your pack. The down hill is slow and deliberate with all sized boulders. It drops you down into a valley. Watch for the barbed wire fence to the left side if you have to make a pit stop. There are turns and ups and downs along the way...some worse then others. It was muddy in places but if you look there's usually a worn path off to the side to avoid the worst of it. The trail forks to the bluff/cliff area or onward to the hemmed-in-hollow trail. We took the bluff trail and it was worth the view. It's amazing had the terrain changes so quickly. Watch your step if it's slippery. The cliff if very steep and drops off at the edge of the trail in places. We had lunch in one of the little bluff coves. The river is very low below but we could hear water running. Once we got back onto the trail the first mile or so out of the bluff is flat and not as rocky. If you need to make up time like we did to beat the dark this is the place to truck it a bit.
The downhill drop from before seems like a small dip compared to what it looks like when you reach it going back up. From the bottom looking up it looks like you're going to be heading straight uphill with menacing boulders filling the trail. I'm not ashamed to say that I stopped many times to catch my breath and rest. And again I'm so very thankful to have had my poles. It probably took 45 minutes to get through that section.
Once at the top find the two rocks again, this time on the left side, and take a break. Drink water, have a snack. Soak in what you just accomplished and the view you saw. It's worth the break.
As formidable as this trail was I would do it again. It's beautiful and takes you to different nature environments along the way.
Some people brought their dogs even though it said no pets. Who follows rules anymore anyway?
I felt sorry for those poor dog's feet. They would be sore after that trek just like mine were.
Bring plenty of water and snacks. There was no where to filter along the trail.

Awesome hike with a view that will take your breath away. Highly recommended!

Easy hike down to the goat trail with excellent payoff views of the buffalo river. The hike back let’s ya know how bad out of shape you actually are. I’ll definitely come back!

Amazing views and bluff terrain!

It is so worth the views!