Fossil Flats Trail

Fossil Flats Trail is a 6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near West Fork, Arkansas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Devil's Den State Park is a 3 to 5 mile loop trail located near Winslow, Arkansas. The trail is primarily used for mountain biking. The flat exposed rock in the creek bed lends this trail its name. Many fossils are visible in the exposed creek bed. The flat exposed rock in the creek bed gives this trail its name. Fossils are found in the creek bed. The trail offers views of the creek and typical Ozark rock formations. You have a choice of a 3, 4, or 5 mile route. The route requires more skill level the longer it gets. There are a total of 11 more trails at the park for horseback riding and hiking.

I had great ride. first time on trail. some water on trail due to recent rain, but it made it fun and challenging ride for me. Didnt realize I would have to wade across river twice, about knee deep on may 5th.

Really liked the trail but it was poorly marked and confusing so I missed a loop.

Didn't know what to expect knowing it was a bike trail... Loved it!! Hiked the west side of Outlaw Loop and the Sawmill Loop where we crossed over at 2.4 miles. The river was up after recent rains so the trail had numerous waterfalls/cascades and little creeks to cross... We put on our water sandals to cross Lee Creek which was about calf high... Had to be careful!! We decided to skip Racer's Hill and start back finishing up on the east side of Sawmill and Outlaw Loop back to Campground A... only there we were unable to cross the white water creek!! We followed the trail along the river which connected to the river side of Devil's Den Trail until we saw the highway bridge we could cross over and walked the road back to Campground A adding about 1.6 miles... total loop was about 6 miles... Looking forward to doing it again!!

Great Trail Wonderful water features. Late winter hike. Definitely do this again when foliage returns.

sweet trail run

This trail was hard to follow and not very well marked. We also did the longest trail since they combine and didn’t see the outlook, which is the picture for the trail. My dog likes the armadillos we saw however.

Great trail to relax and enjoy nature. Majestic cedar groves abound. Water to cross, wade or swim in.

This trail truly combines with several others hence the fact that it can be 3, 4 or 5 plus in total length. I agree with another review that it is confusing as it is not really marked by the name of the trail. If you start on the East side of the camping area rather than on the north where the trailhead seems to begin and continue to stay to the right at every fork, you will hike the longest distance of 5.6 miles. You will hike the Outlaw Loop, Racers Hill and Sawmill Loop which I think make up Fossil Flats?? There are orange bike blazes throughout since it is primarily a bike trail.

It was a decent trail, but it was difficult to follow. We weren't always sure we were on the right path.

We had a great time at Fossil Flats today. It was filled with nature sightings! We saw a black snake (species unknown), a lizard, several butterflies, and two caterpillars. During a brief detour down one of the creek beds, we observed some small fishes and a Whitetail doe. Overall, it was a great hike and a fun time to explore one of our nearby parks!

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Fossil Flats is honestly a great trail. The river, that a good amount of the trail runs along, is absolutely gorgeous and the forest surrounding it, while not offering as much eye candy, offers a very peaceful atmosphere. The hike itself isn't difficult, though there are a few steep areas, but be mindful when preparing to hike this trail (if you're doing the full 6 mile loop that is) that you will have to cross Lee Creek twice, which means getting in the water. During my trip the water was up to about calf high.

All in all, it's a very nice hike and well worth your time it if you plan on visiting Devil's Den.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Easy trail some nice creek and rock formations.

Monday, February 20, 2017

Great hike, the parking lot was very full but we did not encounter very much traffic on the trails. Took the Sawmill Loop and followed the river which is beautiful. I will post a few pictures.
The trail is very rocky in some areas. I suggest bringing a lunch and enjoying near the river.

Wednesday, January 04, 2017

I liked this trail a lot. For much of the first half, it follows the creek, with lots of access to it so you can check out all the "flats" and different rock formations. It's an easy hike, and the trail is well-marked. The dog and I hiked the longest option, and I'd recommend the 4-mile Sawmill Loop (the medium-length option). The extra mile added by the Racer's Hill portion isn't anything special (Doc found an armadillo skeleton, so he'd disagree).

Directions get a little murky where the trail joins/intersects the BHT, but it's not too bad. The All Trails app is helpful here, as you can check your location relative to the trail.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Very unwell marked for runners- bring a map! It's pleasant along the river though.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Excellent little mountain bike trail. Lots of rocks, adds to the technical aspects.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

This is currently my favorite Devils Den trail for running. The second half alongside Lee Creek is my favorite section... the creek being up made for a very frigid and refreshing barefoot water crossing after 5+ miles.

Monday, October 20, 2014

For biking, I did not like the huge loose rocks. This is a great hike/bike when the water is up! I almost wrecked just because I could not stop gazing at the beautiful blue river running along a good part of the trail during a late winter ride. Good place to hike in when water is up and warm And just have a picnic and swim.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

This trail is really nice, there are two options on the trail to make it shorter than the approximate 5 miles if desired. I completed the entire trail including the outlaw loop and had no issues. There was only one steep incline and decline. There were however a couple spots on the trail that were briefly a challenge due to fallen trees, at one point the trail seemed to stop beneath a large rock formation, the trail picked back up on the other side of the rock so after some climbing I figured it out. There were two other areas where fallen trees were completely covering the trail, but it was obvious that the trees weren't usually there. I became confused at one point near the hike-in camping area, the trail isn't marked well at this point unless you are looking for the outlaw loop or the butterfield hiking trail.

Overall it was a pleasant trail

Monday, May 19, 2014

just got done backpacking this trail the whole way up Racers Hill.. 2-19-14.. the scenery was amazing and the creek was running good.. we took our time at it and it did in 3 1/2 hr stopping several times including lunch.. Would recomend this trail to anyone that can handle the 5 miles and the steep incline...

Sunday, April 27, 2014

A really good, well-marked loop. And it is a loop. There's a switchback right before the bridge; if you continue across the bridge to Sawmill, you'll miss the back half of Fossil Flats. So, sharp right just before the bridge will take you along Lee Creek for a bit before the trail connects back into itself.

Monday, March 10, 2014

By far, my favorite trail of the season. No more elaboration is necessary. Check it out for yourself soon!

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Great trail if you don't want to pack much water in with you and you have a filter. It's along water the entire way.

Saturday, January 04, 2014

Nice hike!! You have to make sure to go down to the creek a few times during the hike!!

Saturday, February 02, 2013

We hiked this trail in Devil's Den State Park on another perfect day on February 2, 2013. It was in the 30's when we started and ended up in the upper 40's when we finished. It was a calm day with a lot of sunshine. We did miss a turn at the end of the trail and walked an extra .3 of a mile. Oh well, it was worth it! I am happy, happy, happy when I am out in the woods hiking! The trail was in good shape and I moved a few limbs and branches that had fallen across the trail to help the next guy. I would recommend this trail. It has a few nice views of the river. Only saw 2-3 people all day. That was nice!

Monday, October 22, 2012

Nice trail.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Simply a great trail-I have a yearly hike here on April 20-one of the better overlooked trails in the area!!!

Friday, May 04, 2012

Very pretty. Especially in winter when you see the creek while riding. But too many large loose rocks. I can't stay on my bike going over these (bouncing). I really have no desire to do this one again for a long time riding. Maybe hiking though.

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Round Two, took the trail on with my brother riding jamis 29ers awesome down hill sections. Extremely rocky. Lots of roots. Lots of climbs.

Friday, March 02, 2012

Walked this trail 2 weeks ago. It was much better than riding it for me. Should have brought creek shoes as the creek was up. great walk.