Falls Branch Trail

Falls Branch Trail is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Malvern: Take Exit #97 off I-30 at Malvern and travel 12 miles north on Arkansas Hwy. 171 to the park.

Clearly marked and well kept trail. In a bit of a dry spell so the creek is very low, hardly any water flow on the hike to the falls. Barely-there waterfall but otherwise the scenery is beautiful! Just needs a good rain shower to get things flowing again.

We went over Memorial Day weekend and it was beautiful! The waterfall is gorgeous.

beautiful trail! I'm heavier set so it was a little hard for me.. don't let that differ you! so worth it in the end!! we went up the mountain and down it.. the water fall was amazing!

Trail itself was great. But i was really hoping for a full waterfall, maybe in the spring.

Beautiful!

Fantastic hiking trail and easy for older dogs. Went early and had the trail to ourself.

My son and I hiked this trail this weekend after almost 2 inches of rain the night before. The fall creek was high and moving. There was a lot of water on the trail and a few places where we had to cross the creek. Our feet were soaked. It was worth it. Overall an easy hike with great views.

LOVED this trail. The terrain was varied and interesting, walking most of the trail by the creek was perfect, and the waterfall was gorgeous. You even get to hike back on a bluff next to the lake. Perfect distance for families and dogs too. Would do this hike again for sure!

Absolutely beautiful scenery !!

This is a really fun shorter trail! It is a loop trail and there are areas that are steep and can be slick during/after rain, but this is the best time to see a good flow on the waterfall.
However, you can do an in & out hike from the campground to the waterfall that is very easy and would be good for kids.. supension bridge included!

Easy trail and beautiful waterfall!

An excellent trail for beginners. We went when there was a freeze and got to enjoy some frozen waterfalls.

Loved hiking this trail, to the waterfall and my 2 year old did very well, with this trail!

Good hike but a little hard to follow in some spots during the fall when the ground is covered in fallen leaves.

Good trail but there were no flowing water, would try in a different season.

Great trail. Not what I’d classify as easy if you do the entire thing. Beautiful views and challenging enough to make it fun. Our dog loved it, too!

Good trail. Plenty of things to see. Allow an hour to enjoy.

Great trail to walk with the family. Nice for moderate exercise multiple times a week.

The trail was very easy to follow and very well marked! The waterfall was dried up this time of year but I think we will return as soon as we get enough rain to make it flow. Not really steep and pretty level. Would definitely return for this one again and probably combine all three loops into one hike.

It was great for a family with kids and pets!

Enjoyed this trail, though the waterfall was dry. I would do it again.

great hike awesome views along the way ..

Went with my 4 year old son. Was great!

Great hike with a pretty little waterfall. The only downside is the amount of trash around the waterfall.

I really enjoyed this trail. Well maintained with man made crossings. The trail has some steep sections but climbing is not required. Pause to enjoy the creek in both directions.

Pretty tough climb for he average hiker. Definitely not easy. Prepare for some serious rocks as you descend on the waterfall. Adventurous for sure!

Took my fur baby out today! It was amazing!!! I'm taking my kids next week!! It's not an easy trail so watch your step. But once you see the falls it's all worth it!!

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Best hike in Lake Catherine State Park. Features a tight ravine, some interesting rock outcrops, a medium-sized waterfall, and views of Lake Catherine. Overall, a little of everything in only 1.7 miles. I would rate the difficulty as moderate rather than easy because of the trail's rockiness: some of the old stone steps are really deteriorating. Make sure you follow the red blazes: two other trails start at the same trailhead.

Thursday, June 08, 2017

I rate trails based on mobility considerations. On the app, this trail was listed as "easy" but it was not. I think I can unpack where the discrepancy lies.

We arrived at the trail head and took the appropriate trail according to the sign (marked with the red blaze). The trail had very challenging rock formations, steps etc... It made footwork very labor intensive and we had to be very slow and deliberate as we were concerned about safety. One can expect some of this, but it was way more than what an easy rated trail should be.

Approximately 3/4ths of the way from the end, we hit the smooth easy path near the falls and the campgrounds. Clearly, this is what some consider the Falls Branch Trail. From what I can surmise, this is only a portion of the trail.

If you're considering this trail, it is a great trail but it is not easy nor would I recommend it for anybody with mobility or balance concerns.