Eagle Rock Loop

Eagle Rock Loop is a 28.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Langley, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, fishing, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 28.2 miles Elevation Gain: 4,005 feet Route Type: Loop

Directions from Glenwood area: There are 5 trailheads. (1.) Albert Pike Recreation Area off Highway 369. ( 2.) Little Missouri Falls on Forest Road 25. (3.) 4 miles west of Little Missouri Falls on Forest Road 25. (4. &5.) east of Bard Springs Recreation Area on Forest Road 106.

Awesome trail. One length of hills thata a bit rough. Otherwise easy hiking! Beautiful trail and a lot of good campsites. Couple of sections that are confusing due to bad trail markings but keep your map handy and you will do great.

Love this trail. Do it four or five times a year.

Hiked ERL 6/29 - 7/1 with a friend and our 13 year old sons. Did the hike counter clockwise starting at Albert Pike Rec Area. Plenty of shade throughout the trail along with water sources. As others have mentioned there are numerous water crossings. Only a few may require to switch to water shoes or use gators. The deepest we encountered was actually crossing the Little Missouri River where the water level was at my knees. Saw zero wildlife except 2 snakes in tree stumps and 1 squirrel. Fire flies put on a cool show at night. Lots of daddy long legs. Ran into 2 pairs of hikers on 6/29, 2 solo hikers on 6/30, one of which was seriously inexperienced for this type of hike, and zero hikers on 7/1. Parts of the trail have lots of over growth and the last 2 miles heading back to Albert Pike have many downed trees. We downloaded the Guthook app based on another hikers recommendation and it saved our bacon a few times to keep us on the trail as there are some areas that are poorly marked. Plus it shows locations of campsites, water sources, profiles of the trail for elevation gains, etc. Well worth $4.99. Overall a great and challenging trail. A few of the ascents will kick your butt but it’s worth it.

I absolutely love this hike. It has a little bit of everything. Up and over mountains and wet and dry water crossings are the star here. I go every year and it’s always a new experience. A few places could be better marked but it’s not hard to stay on trail as long as you stay aware of your surroundings. There are an abundance or campsites along the entire trail and you are never far from water sources so you don’t have to carry large amounts. I suggest going in oct-nov and timing for the fall foliage to be in it’s peak colors.

backpacked 6/24-26. A huge storm blew through the night before and the Langley river gauge was reading 8ft so we started at blaylock creek west trailhead and went CW to give time for the river to mellow out (ended up crossing at 4ft on little Missouri which was pushing it). It was also nice to split the ridges into different days as those are no joke. There's no switch backs it just keeps going straight up which really cranks up the intensity. embrace the fact that your feet are going to get wet, especially if its rained recently. either make time for multiple shoe changes or wear a pair that dry out quick. (we had trail runners with quick dry socks). camp sites are no problem to find, the only issue is some are covered in trash/junk if closer to a trailhead. one even had an abandoned tent! SPIDERS are everywhere, so just be prepared. The only big downside we encountered is trail markers. Some sections have side spurs that look more well traveled then the actual trail, so getting off trail is very easy. so always be looking for the white blaze. we came prepared and downloaded a trail map which came in handy many times. we only got off trail once, but that was because of a huge blow down from the storm that required some bushwacking. fun trail but hard work.

The trail is very poorly marked in some areas. The blazes can be confusing to follow. Just follow the white ones. Very beautiful trail. Started at the winding stairs trailhead. Got washed by the rain and it made the river impossible to pass. Had to get off at the Little Missouri Falls trailhead. I will definitely go back to finish.

Absolutely amazing backpacking trip. Started the trip at the Little Missouri Falls trailhead and took the loop clockwise. This direction is mellow at first and saves the 6 hills for last...so pick your poison. I think the “hard” rating is accurate as there were a lot of water crossings and the assents could be quite steep at times. I was able to cross all but 2 crossings with dry feet, but did walk for about 4 miles in sandals for the hell of it...which made the crossings more fun than the rock hopping puzzle. There are plenty of camping opportunities. The first night we hiked about 3 miles in and camped, the second day hiked about 10 miles and camped at a wonderful site across a creek right on the river at the bend, the third day hiked all the hills and about 1 mile past the Athens-Big Fork lot for another great river campsite. Left about 3 miles on day 4 to get out. On the drive out we stopped at the Albert Pike Rec Area for a shower. This is a very wet trail which was nice in the summer heat, but had to be very mindful of hydration. Saw wild boar, armadillo, raccoon, deer, and some crawfish scuttling around. The vistas were worth the blue blaze off trail. Be extremely careful for ticks as I had to pull about 5 off of me. Went on a Tues-Fri and only saw 2 other backpacking parties. Highly recommend this trail to anyone. Have fun out there and thank you National Forests.

I hiked the Eagle Rock Loop in 2017 during the Thanksgiving Week with a friend. The loop is perfect for an intermediate 3-day backpacking hiking trip though we ran into a lite hiker doing a one-day hike-through. The loop features three sides of the creek and one side of mountains with 6 peaks, so one can customize the experience by entering the loop at different places. The creek sides have very beautiful sceneries. I found crayfishes at several places in the creek. For a few times we changed into sandals to get across the creek. The water quality is super. I used a Sawyer’s straw and it worked out great. The mountain side is another story. Very different experience. On one peak we found a wild plum. Quite tasty. On another peak we tried to climb to the summit rock and hiked through thorny bushes. The loop is developed and very well maintained. There is a camp site about every ten minutes and they are all by the creek side so with access to the water and also with stone-made camp fireplace. At one of the sites we camped there were even fired wood. Perhaps leftover from the previous camper. When we were there it was freezing at night. I brought my down sleeping bag so I was fine but my friend suffered from the low temperature because she lacked a much thinner sleeping bag for light weight. It was a great fun experience. I’ll definitely recommend it to anyone who love backpack hiking.

Not well marked but only in some places. Most of it is marked pretty well. A lot of water crossings. More than we expected. I guess depends on the season/water levels. We went in early June. If my husband and I go again, we'll definitely have some hiking shoes made for wearing through water. Mountain trails are straight up. No switchbacks. Also, plenty of daddy long legs out there. One campsite was covered in them. Overall, harder than I thought but we had a fantastic time. Excellent trail.

I have gone backpacking with a group of friends on this trail a few times in different seasons, but due to injuries prior to hitting the trail or weather conditions, was unable to finish it until Memorail Day weekend. There were more people and mosquitoes/ticks in the summer, but it is a lovely trail year round. There is several water crossings, though they are all eady as long as it isn't raining. Several springs feed into the creeks, and there is good amounts of rocky bits, open space, and forest mixed all in one. Absolutely beautiful.

Great trail. Took 9 high school youth. Was a tough trail for them, but they made it! Beautiful sights! Some parts of trail not well marked, AllTrails saved us!

Hiked the trail twice recently, first end of April, second beginning of June. First time was easier though some crossings of the Little Missouri river were tricky. By June the water levels were a bit lower but mother nature gave us obstacles: ticks (like 3 or 4 a day), cottonmouth snakes, mama bear with two cubs and overnight rain. The fact that there is always a nice campsite withing half an hour distance makes this a low stress train. We did 2 half and 2 full days but everything goes for schedule. Albert Pike campground is a bit scary in it's emptiness but never underestimate the value of toilets, even a shower and being able to get rid of your trash. (you can do that at Little Missouri Falls site too). I recommend doing the mountains first, the rest of it is fairly easy. For folks driving from Dallas - Ft. Worth direction I highly recommend Telinga's Mexican Restaurant in Dierks as last / first meal. Love their cooking!

Had a really great time packing this trail. My only complaint would be lack of trail markings. Easy to get sidetracked in places. Would definitely recommend this for anyone above beginner level. Met lots of great people on the trail.

Great trail, second time completing, this time counterclockwise. Easier to follow this way, however the second to last ridge was rough! Had the pup off leash for the entirety, river crossings were all normal. I would like to throw this out there, please.... if you are going to listen to music on the trail, have some courtesy for the other people on the trail and use headphones... some people are backpacking to connect to nature, and enjoy the peace and quiet, not “Strawberry Wine.”

I just completed this trail over Memorial Day weekend with a friend and our 14 year old daughters. It was a pretty trail, especially in the Winding Stair area. We backpacked it in three days. My friend is a little out of shape, but he made it. Our girls did just fine, but they're both very active. Campsites were plentiful. You have lots of options from ridge lines to stream side. However, I would recommend staying away from the the site where the trail leaves East Saline Creek (counterclockwise) and begins climbing to Eagle Rock Vista. We were pestered by raccoons all night despite hanging all our food in the trees. There's lots of trash at that site, and I think they are habituated to browsing that area for food. Our other campsites were fine. This was my first time hiking it, and I understand water crossings can be difficult or dangerous if the water is too high. The Little Missouri was at 3.6' when we crossed. We had no trouble at all. It came to our knees. They say over 4.5' is dangerous, and use caution in the 4'-4.5' range. Here's a link to the water gauge in Langley: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?07360200

Great trail!! Challenging and fun. Took the family and had a blast. Plenty of water crossings to fill your bottle and keep cool. Will definitely go back again and again. Bad year for ticks though.

Went to the swimming hole (located at the end of a spur off the south side of the trail) this time and it was absolutely worth it. Be cautious of water crossing and algae growth making the rocks slippery. Expect water to be up to your thighs at certain times of the year. This is a excellent trail for begining backpackers who are in good physical shape. Trails are well marked, campsites and water sources are fairly frequent along the trail.

Pretty good trek decided to get most of the elevation done first. It took us three day to complete.