Eagle Rock Loop

Eagle Rock Loop is a 28.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Caddo Gap, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, fishing, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Glenwood area: There are 5 trailheads. (1.) Albert Pike Recreation Area off Highway 369. ( 2.) Little Missouri Falls on Forest Road 25. (3.) 4 miles west of Little Missouri Falls on Forest Road 25. (4. &5.) east of Bard Springs Recreation Area on Forest Road 106.

Great hike, did it over 3 nights with two short days on either end. Easily possible in 2-3 days if planned correctly. Trail is well marked, water everywhere, campsites at regular intervals so a fairly easy trip logistically. Would definitely recommend

There were seven of us from the trail running group called GOATS

Hiked the loop in 2.5 days and 2 nights. Began at the Little MO/Athens-Big Fork Trailhead, hiking counter clock wise. We chose this direction in order to get the difficult sections out of the way right off the bat. And I'm glad we did. Brush Heap Mountain is no joke. None the less I had a blast. Great camping spots along the trails with many of them close to the river. Plenty of water to drink and a few nice swimming holes. Met a lot of wonderful people on the trail, many from different parts of the country. Love this trail. Planning to hike it again in November.

Beautiful hike! Loved seeing the beginnings of the fall foliage. Numerous creek crossings, which were fun, and nothing too treacherous because the water is rather low. The few peaks had some wonderful views as well!

Great trail, pretty tough for a novice like myself, but extremely rewarding. Saw 4 snakes, 2 of which were less than a quarter mile apart. Well marked, plenty places to camp, plenty water sources. Would recommend to wait and go during cool weather, it got up to 90 F one day in the eagle rock mountain section and that's about all we wanted. All in all beautiful 3 day trip.

definitely planning a second trip out for 2018

Love this trail!!!!

Drove up from Austin and did the loop in just over 2 days. Day 1 was all 6 peaks, tough, but rewarding and some great views. Day 2 was much easier and lots of water holes to jump in to and cool off. The road leading to the SW parking location is super rocky and at times I though I might have to turn my Camry around

Amazing loop, did it in 3 days 2 nights. The first day with the 6 big hills are tough. Make sure to prep. Other than that, amazing trail. Tons of water available hope I do it again soon.

Hard trail, but worth it.

I had an awesome time on this trail. I'll try and get more people to join me at another time.

While lacking the majesty of many national parks, it's a great trail with many features and an easy drive from DFW.

The difficult: there are multiple water crossings, rocky trails, and the hike up and down the ridges aren't messing around--very few switchbacks, just straight up/down. My group went counter clockwise, and there are some portions of the trail along Little Missouri that aren't as clearly marked. We spent a few hours back tracking.

The easy: there is sufficient access to water and if you use the map and take into consideration the distance between water sources, you can keep your weight down by not carrying too much water. There are many good camp sites throughout the trail.

This was my first backpacking loop. Overall I found it pleasantly challenging.

Hiked this on the 30th. Took me 16 1/2 hrs. The mountains will definitely tire you out, nice bored at the top though. Defending is a bit painful if you have bad knees. After those it's easy sailing. Plenty of water around if you don't wait till your last drop. Beautiful place though

Myself and 2 friends hiked to the Eagle Rock Vista from "Winding Stairs Rd" on the east side of the river. We passed the nice waterfall and spring on Viles Branch on the way to where the Eagle Rock Loop and the Athens/Big Fork trails intersect. 75% of the hike was leisurely but the hike from where the two trails intersect to the Eagle Rock Vista was a gasser!!! I'm not out of shape, I'm just a heavy breather!! LOL!! It was well worth it though! The views were AWESOME!! We will do this hike again and plan to camp somewhere over night. Most people who are fairly active could do the hike to the Vista with several breaks on the way. GO DO IT!!!