Devils Canyon Scenic Area Trail & Bushwhack

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(271)
Ozark National Forest

Devils Canyon Scenic Area Trail & Bushwhack is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mulberry, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 620 feet Route Type: Loop

Devils Canyon Scenic Area Trail & Bushwhack is a three mile loop through a forested canyon with two waterfalls, one 63 ft. tall and one 16 ft. tall. The hike out of the canyon is a steep scramble out of the canyon floor. Also the bushwhack follows cascades and huge boulders along the creek as you work your way out of the canyon. You start by following an old road to the east, when it turns north you cross a small creek, (the first water fall is a short distance downstream). Next you continue on the old road as it now travels north, when it turns back east, leave the road and bushwhack to the 2nd drainage and travel down hill. You will encounter the second water fall. Follow the bluff line west a short distance and you can carefully work your way down the bluff. Once at the bottom you can follow the bottom of the bluff back east to the base of the waterfall. From there, follow the drainage down hill to where you come to another creek. From here, you can explore the creek down stream or you can cross the creek and scramble to the top of the hill to take you back to the old road. Once at the old road, turn back to your right and it should take you to the parking lot. GPS recommended.

Great trail of you can find your way. Not very well marked. Some great look out points in the beginning. Make sure you look for the rock pile on your left. Notice someone had knocked it down on our way out so I stacked it back. That will take you to the small fall. Great swimming hole, but we did see a snake hanging out in the rocks. I recommend hiking down that river a bit...there are some beautiful smaller falls and some minor climbing. There is a trail at the top of the hill on the right side of the small fall...it is narrow and there is a lot of poison ivy but if you follow, it will take you to the big falls. Gorgeous looking from the top. I recommend taking the rope down if you are able. Don’t be scared! Great place to sit or even get in the falls. 4/5

Can’t figure out how to get there, GPS kept taking me to a private driveway and there wasn’t another Jeep trail around the area. Was hiking at Shores loop on white rock mountain and it said I wasn’t far from it when I was there. Can anyone help explain to find it?

Great hike!

Great hike, especially with all the recent rainfall the waterfalls were awesome!. A little hard to navigate at times. Downloading the map is a good idea beforehand. Busy on the weekends

Finding the trail head was a little difficult bc reception is cuts out. I highly recommend downloading the map before heading out. Follow the dirt bike trail until you get to the pile of rocks. That trail loop takes you directly to the smaller pool and fall. To get to the larger fall- follow the trail straight it will wind around to the fall. Conditions were wet and trail head wasn’t cleared, luckily we were able to wonder some trails around and find a path that would take us to the falls.

very busy! good hike with a good reward at the end!

Very fun hike! Lots of mud, wear shoes you don’t mind getting muddy. Also lots of poison ivy. But the views were spectacular—definitely worth it! We didn’t do the rope ascent bc we had our dog, so we just viewed the large waterfall from the top. He loves jumping in all the mud puddles :) I accidentally recorded part of our drive home. Trying to fix it.

Left at the Rock pile was a for sure help! We made it to the big falls and loved the scramble with the rope assist. we did notice a lot of poison ivy, oak and sumac along the trail, but other than that it was an amazing hike for sure!

amazing hike but definitely a work out. as long as you take a left when seeing the rocks its a smooth ride. also, climbing up that rope definitely took the life out of me but well worth it in the end.

Fun and scenic trail! Lots of small caverns and streams to check out, along with the 2 main waterfalls. No trail blazes, but we were thankful for the pink ribbon markers along the trail. Make sure to bring some clothes in case you want to swim around, and check out the vista views on the road down to the trailhead.

This trail is absolutely beautiful. It was a little difficult to find (it’s on the left of hwy 215, not the right, look for the black mailbox with a concrete bulldog) and the pink markers are difficult to follow for a little bit. Definitely have the map pulled up so you can see where you are on the trail. The climb down the rope was super cool, and the big waterfall was worth all the navigation struggle!

Trail is not marked clearly. Download the trail map from the app will help you a lot.

This hike made for a great afternoon. Not to intense of a hike with just a few areas that were steeper or where you had to have careful footing. Both waterfalls were flowing good as we went soon after some heavy rainfall but the trail was muddy because of this. Would make for some great overnight camping in spots. Overall the trail was scenic and easy enough for most anyone.

Fantastic hike, views and the waterfall is super cool.

My 14 year old son and I went on our first hike. This was an awesome way to start. I found the tips and reviews incredibly helpful. The views were amazing, we can't wait to go back and camp!

For your first visit, experience navigating through the woods will be a plus. The map is hard to follow, I walked past the giant waterfall trail two times before finding the backwards route from the Jr. fall. The descent down to the 60 foot waterfall is a little advance for most hikers. The rope is very helpful on the descent and even more rewarding for the climb back up to the main trail. Watch your steps. I seen two snakes while hiking on the trail and one sunning on a rock next to the Waterfall. Took some time to free climb on some of the rocks, stay safe and don’t get out of your comfort level. Most of all, find your joy and keep on exploring!