Devils Canyon Scenic Area Trail & Bushwhack

Devils Canyon Scenic Area Trail & Bushwhack is a 2.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mulberry, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Devils Canyon Scenic Area Trail & Bushwhack is three miles loop through a forested canyon with two waterfalls, one 63 ft. tall and one 16 ft. tall. The hike out of the canyon is a steep scramble out of the canyon floor. Also the bushwhack follows cascades and huge boulders along the creek as you work your way out of the canyon. You start by following an old road to the east, when it turns north you cross a small creek, (the first water fall is a short distance downstream). Next you continue on the old road as it now travels north, when it turns back east, leave the road and bushwhack to the 2nd drainage and travel down hill. You will encounter the second water fall. Follow the bluff line west a short distance and you can carefully work your way down the bluff. Once at the bottom you can follow the bottom of the bluff back east to the base of the waterfall. From there, follow the drainage down hill to where you come to another creek. From here, you can explore the creek down stream or you can cross the creek and scramble to the top of the hill to take you back to the old road. Once at the old road, turn back to your right and it should take you to the parking lot. GPS recommended.

We did this hike Dec. 27th and it was great! it was pretty cold but we stayed warm by adventuring around the falls. the hike to get to the falls is pretty straight forward and easy. once we got to the falls we hiked/climbed around the rocky areas. We aren't totally sure what was part of the trail and what wasn't, but we had a great time making it up as we went.

Beautiful views to wake up to!

great trail after a good rain

cool lookout points, but waterfall was much smaller than I thought it'd be based on the pictures. I went in early October, wasn't much water coming down the creek so it was also more of a water trickle. would hike again though.

Beautiful views

It should be noted that this is going to be an arduous journey in a sedan. That aside, when we got to the trail it very poorly maintained. At first it was just occasional brush, but eventually it became impossible to ascertain where the trail actually was. It was to the point that we just had to guess, so we went the way that looked the most trail like. Regrettably, it wasn't the trail. This was quite difficult to navigate, and I wouldn't recommend without a machete.

Peaceful

This was quite a jewel for a fall hiking day. The waterfall is beautiful but word to the wise, a quick jump in it is a shock to the system!

Serotonin levels went up and enjoyed myself today. Beats staying inside where there is artificial lighting.

Had a fun time with God fearing ladies from church!!

Myself and my son and his beagle puppy stayed there this last weekend. He loved it, we hiked to the big waterfall and it wasn't at all that bad. It wore them both out but was nice come bedtime.

I loved it quiet. Except for the waterfall. Definitely go again.

Short walk to a beautiful destination. Easy trial. It might get slightly unclear but when in doubt follow the creek and you're golden

Awesome caves!

When Google Maps welcomed me to "Unnamed Road in Mulberry, AR," I had to laugh a little. The road to Devil's Canyon is a minor adventure, itself, and you really do feel as though you've left civilization behind.
That is, until you start hiking and see the remnants of peoples' campsites. Ugh. Pack it in, pack it out, people. I'll bring a trash bag next time and do some tidying. So look past the few stray cans and water bottles, and check out the view! There are some great overlooks.

The smaller waterfall is really easy to find, and it's an easy hike. You'll have two options to leave the old road and head back to it. Both times, the side trail is marked by a tower of stones. Following the old road just takes you further back into the woods, and it eventually fades.

I tried to find the larger waterfall, but, even with the coordinates from Ernst's book in my GPS, I had no luck. I tried trekking through the trees, but couldn't seem to get to it. I then tried boulder-hopping downstream from the waterfall, but quickly realized that was not a good idea. Considering that the small falls was just a hearty trickle, I think the larger falls might not have been worth the effort on this particular day. I'll go back with a copy of Ernst's directions further once we really hit waterfall season.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

very pretty just recently did this day after Xmas. was beautiful. waterfall was barely going but still worth it.

Monday, November 28, 2016

it was fun and actually kinda easy. stayed for about 2 hours. views were amazing!

Sunday, July 31, 2016

amazing hike, easy in the front the back half(the good part) is much more challenging. great scenic overlooks, secret waterfall, and cold swimming hole!

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Great trail! Not that difficult. Great swimming hole.

Friday, May 27, 2016

Good trek. Not for the faint hearted.