Cherry Bend to Hare Mountain via Ozark Highlands Trail

Cherry Bend to Hare Mountain via Ozark Highlands Trail is a 11.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near West Cobb, Arkansas that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Cherry Bend is located on AR Hwy 23 (Pig Trail Scenic Byway), approx. 5 miles North of Cass, or approx. 5.5 miles South of Brashears. The Cherry Bend Trailhead and Parking Area provides access to the Ozark Highlands Trail just south of where the trail crosses the Pig Trail Scenic Byway (AR Hwy 23). The parking area is located on the East side of Hwy 23, and a short spur trail takes off across the highway to connect with the OHT. Just north of the parking lot, behind the informatin board and trail register, are two small, level tent camping pads that would provide a good night's stop while hiking along the OHT. The Cherry Bend Trailhead can also be used as an access point to view a couple of waterfalls down in the creek bottom below, to the southeast. N35 44.597, W93 48.692

Trail Rating: 3/5. The trail was ok, not a lot of views and not real interesting, but also not real challenging. The one good vista was at the very end. It's a nice trail, but I usually hike in the Ouachitas, and I prefer those trails over this one.

Trail Rating in early September: 1/5. SPIDERS AND BUGS EVERYWHERE! And poison ivy. Spent 9 of the 12 miles we hiked on the trail waving a stick in front of us to knock down the incredible number of spiderwebs. That all said, this was just a lousy time to go on the trail, it's not the trail's fault. We knew going in it hadn't been maintained in a while, but we'd had ok experiences with other trails this time of year and figured it'd be fine. We were wrong.

The road walk back: About halfway along the trail you cross NF Road 1531 and coming back we decided to walk up that instead of deal with the spiders, it was totally worth it. We actually found a better vista off the road and wandered past some cool ranches, and even saw where an old homestead used to be in a random field.

I explored a little of this section of the OHT after some heavy rain. Murray and Senyard Falls were both roaring, though I couldn't get very close to Senyard, as crossing the creek was not an option. I popped over to the Rock House (opposite direction from Hare Mtn) - that's a must-see. The rest of the trail was wall-to-wall waterfalls! All those little streams were wet crossings, and the trail is a streambed much of the time. I was completely drenched after just a few miles, but utterly delighted. I wish I'd been up for a longer hike, as the views from Hare Mtn are reportedly spectacular. I'll be back!