Cecil Cove Loop Trail

Cecil Cove Loop Trail is a 7.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Jasper, Arkansas that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

cave

This is a scenic trail that crosses Cecil creek several times, has bluffs, historic homsteads, and old cemetery.

GREAT TRAIL. The only issue my wife and I had was that we missed the waterfall. I don’t know if the offshoot for the waterfall was covered or we just overlooked it. Either way this was a great trail. There is a pretty good sized cave on the trail so definitely take some extra lights and extra clothes if you plan to explore.

This trail is best hiked when there has been some rain and there is plenty of water. Allow for extra time and be ready to explore side paths in order to find extra features. I missed the waterfall because I missed the path that branches off of the main trail. I was hiking too fast and never saw the cemetery. There is a large cave, but again you have to leave the main trail on a side path to find it. None of these features are marked so you really have to look for them. In order to complete the loop you must stay on the main trail until you reach a gravel road, then take a left on the gravel road to return to the trailhead. Check out the large sink hole on your right as you hike the gravel road back.

Hiked the portion that hugs Cecil creek at times to the area where the small cave is. Decent trail a bit grown up in places.

Best to take the route from highway 7, the road from Compton was very poor, saw cars and even suv's having to turn around. Trail also wasn't maintained as well as others in some parts, but still a great area. I ended up bushwhacking to the falls. Box canyon is a little bit slick on the way there. Cool cave about halfway through the loop.

Note: Do NOT let Google Maps direct you to the trail head. I did this once when visiting only Thunder Canyon last summer. That road is the WORST (NC 2700). On the plus side, all other roads in Arkansas are smooth, expansive boulevards by comparison!

Lovely hike, particularly the first couple of miles. The side trail to Thunder Canyon is a MUST. It's 1.2 miles, round trip, from the main trail. I was not able to find Paige/Broadwater Falls. Ernst's directions are vague, and having the coordinates in my GPS wasn't really helpful. Cecil Creek is beautiful and there's so much to see.
The old road up to the bench is a bit steep for a long time, but it's not too bad. Once up on the bench, the trail was wet and muddy. The springs, creeks, waterfalls, and old home sites more than make up for it, though.
I had wandered a long time trying to find Paige Falls, and was wiped out, plus it was getting late. So I chose the option of taking the road back. Now I have a couple of reasons to go back!

If you do the thunder canyon falls portion it is a great hike. Either way, beautiful diverse landscape. we had to wade across the Buffalo river on a cold day but the payoff was worth it!!

Fun hike. Tons to see.

Great hike, awesome cave. needs some markers so you can find the things that are hidden away. other than that, amazing

Beautiful- take all the trails- the Falls are really nice- Thunder Canyon Falls can be tricky after a rain- slick! Devil's Den is quite a sight too

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Long and not that good

Thursday, May 05, 2016

Have hiked this several times in all seasons. There are several things to see on this trail. If time allows, I suggest taking the spur trails to Thunder Canyon Falls, Broadwater, and Paige Falls.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Had a nice hike here today, but I'm not sure if we were on exactly the right trail because it was an out and back as far as we could tell. We found an old cabin belonging to the US parks department and that's where the trail seemed to end. Anybody know where it loops back? It was a really pretty hike regardless.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

We took the family on this trail on a beautiful February weekend. We're trying to make it to the Bluff view but got a little turned around. Then we ran into some hikers that knew the area somewhat well. They told us about the beautiful waterfall to the left at the T in the trail hiking up to that point was super easy but even in drier weather getting back to the waterfall was rather dicey very slippery in some spots. still very worth the trip. We plan to go back to do the whole loop eventually.

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Love this trail. The trail along the creek bed crossing can be a bit hard to find.

Sunday, October 11, 2015

This was a good little loop. I would recommend going when there is plenty of water (it's pretty boring without water) and grab a camping spot early in the day. All the good spots fill up fast.

Sunday, May 03, 2015

Hiked up to Thunder Canyon Falls. Descent trail the whole way. The falls were awesome. Cecil Creek crossings were tricky if you want to keep your shoes dry.

Sunday, April 12, 2015

We hiked Paige Falls to Thunder Falls, off the Cecil Creek Loop. Amazing beautiful! The trail that branched off to the falls was pretty hard, but totally worth it. 4-12-15

Monday, September 01, 2014

A weekend on the buffalo. After hiking Indian creek Saturday morning 8/30/14 went to old erby church hiked down to the farmer farm sted then hiked up Cecil creek to cavers camp an spent the night one of my favorite camp sites in this park. Sunday morning 8/31/14 hiked up broad water hollow before taken the bench trail back to erby church. It was a perfect weekend. A bit warm for backpacking but I love the buffalo !!! This is a great trail for a low mileage overnight trip.

Friday, April 25, 2014

May we will be doing part of the Goat Overlook down to Farmers and then up and around cecil cove loop. I am looking for a gps or a gpx track of the loop. Anyone have one they would share.

markjonesranger@hotmail.com

I have hiked back to thundering canyon falls several times on this loop but never did the entire loop before. The cavers camp is really cool as well.

Mark Jones

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

There's quite a bit of damage that's been done to the trail during the ice storms this past winter (fallen trees, loose rocks, etc), which slowed us down quite a bit and made some of the navigating difficult. There are also parts of the trail that aren't clearly marked and can be confusing. Besides that, there are many interesting stops along the way like old homesteads, cemeteries, and the old Earby Church. There are also a few great campsites along the creek. Be very cautious of the the road getting there however, I made it down in a Taurus, but I would have been much more comfortable in something with 4 wheel drive as the road is steep and rocky and also suffered damage from the ice storms.