Cecil Cove Loop Trail

Cecil Cove Loop Trail is a 7.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Jasper, Arkansas that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

This is a scenic trail that crosses Cecil creek several times, has bluffs, historic homsteads, and old cemetery.

Best to take the route from highway 7, the road from Compton was very poor, saw cars and even suv's having to turn around. Trail also wasn't maintained as well as others in some parts, but still a great area. I 'bushwhacked' to the falls, little bit slick on the way there. Cool cave about halfway through the loop.

Note: Do NOT let Google Maps direct you to the trail head. I did this once when visiting only Thunder Canyon last summer. That road is the WORST (NC 2700). On the plus side, all other roads in Arkansas are smooth, expansive boulevards by comparison!

Lovely hike, particularly the first couple of miles. The side trail to Thunder Canyon is a MUST. It's 1.2 miles, round trip, from the main trail. I was not able to find Paige/Broadwater Falls. Ernst's directions are vague, and having the coordinates in my GPS wasn't really helpful. Cecil Creek is beautiful and there's so much to see.
The old road up to the bench is a bit steep for a long time, but it's not too bad. Once up on the bench, the trail was wet and muddy. The springs, creeks, waterfalls, and old home sites more than make up for it, though.
I had wandered a long time trying to find Paige Falls, and was wiped out, plus it was getting late. So I chose the option of taking the road back. Now I have a couple of reasons to go back!

If you do the thunder canyon falls portion it is a great hike. Either way, beautiful diverse landscape. we had to wade across the Buffalo river on a cold day but the payoff was worth it!!

Fun hike. Tons to see.

Great hike, awesome cave. needs some markers so you can find the things that are hidden away. other than that, amazing

Beautiful- take all the trails- the Falls are really nice- Thunder Canyon Falls can be tricky after a rain- slick! Devil's Den is quite a sight too

Long and not that good

Monday, June 06, 2016

Friday, May 06, 2016

Thursday, May 05, 2016

Have hiked this several times in all seasons. There are several things to see on this trail. If time allows, I suggest taking the spur trails to Thunder Canyon Falls, Broadwater, and Paige Falls.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Had a nice hike here today, but I'm not sure if we were on exactly the right trail because it was an out and back as far as we could tell. We found an old cabin belonging to the US parks department and that's where the trail seemed to end. Anybody know where it loops back? It was a really pretty hike regardless.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

We took the family on this trail on a beautiful February weekend. We're trying to make it to the Bluff view but got a little turned around. Then we ran into some hikers that knew the area somewhat well. They told us about the beautiful waterfall to the left at the T in the trail hiking up to that point was super easy but even in drier weather getting back to the waterfall was rather dicey very slippery in some spots. still very worth the trip. We plan to go back to do the whole loop eventually.

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Love this trail. The trail along the creek bed crossing can be a bit hard to find.

Sunday, October 11, 2015

This was a good little loop. I would recommend going when there is plenty of water (it's pretty boring without water) and grab a camping spot early in the day. All the good spots fill up fast.