East Caney Creek Trail

East Caney Creek Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Umpire, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Absolutely gorgeous trail, and Katy Falls was amazing to camp at. Trail was extremely easy to follow and there was plenty of water. Did this trail the second day as the Caney Creek/Buckeye loop.

Great hike clean trails well marked.

Great place for a day hike. Came in during the evening, there is a place to set up camp right at the base of the trail, of about 20 min up the trail. There are two more camp sites, one about halfway in, the other at the very end. Lots of creeks to cross, your feet will definitely get wet at some point! One point to note, it got REALLY cold a couple nights ago. Much to be expected when sleeping in between mountains even in the spring!

I would consider the Caney Creek Trail an easy end to tend hike. There is plenty of water, a few hills on the East side and lots of great scenery.

The West side (from Katy Falls west) is not well traveled. There are many trees down and one must look for the trail at times. It is not hard to navigate, but someone needs to pay attention in spots. Also, there are only a few campsites visible from the trail on this side.

We loved all the water crossings on the Western side. Nothing and I wore my Tevas for the last three miles or so.

This was a good trip and had something for all of us.

Monday, November 28, 2016

My girlfriend and I completed this trail on a clear weekend in November. We did this trail after hiking the 5.6 mile Buckeye Trail the day before and camping at Katy Falls. The spur trail for the falls is only about .10 of a mile north of the Buckeye/Caney Creek Trail junction. If you are considering hiking this trail I HIGHLY recommend reading the narrative on ouachitamaps.com and bringing a map of course. The trail doesn't have mile markers or signs like other trails but is well worn. There aren't many great views on this trail but the Buckeye Trail we did the day before offered beautiful views. Viewing Katy Falls makes the hike worth it though. We had to cross Caney Creek several times on this trail but the water wasn't very high and we were able to cross on the rocks. This trail is also not very difficult as long as you are in decent shape.

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Thursday, November 17, 2016

one of my favs.

Monday, October 31, 2016

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Sunday, October 30, 2016

It was a nice trail easy going.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

This trail was great. The elevation was not too hard for a nice stroll through the forest. In a few more weeks the fall colors here will be extravagant. I don't want to take anything away from this trail because it was exciting, however, I give this trail three stars because it is poorly marked. The trail is great, but gives a visitor no instructions. It does not give any details about the trail or joining trails. After I finished hiking East Caney Creek trail, I found the forest service sign saying that it was the buckeye trail, while at the road it says it was the East Caney Creek. I was then totally confused, So after further research to figure out which trail I had hiked, I realize that this was a combination of trails. I am surprised that I did not get lost. We took this trail to see the waterfall but could not find it, because I did not research it up front and the trail has no information when you get there or phone signal. Hopefully, you read all the comments on here and plan from there. Lesson learned, now I want to go back and do the whole thing.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Clearest creek water I have ever seen. Love this trail late Oct thru Feb. Great for shakedowns and newbies or just to get away for a day or two.

Sunday, June 12, 2016