Butterfield Hiking Trail

Butterfield Hiking Trail is a 14.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near West Fork, Arkansas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

The Butterfield Hiking Trail gets its name from the Butterfield Stagecoach . The Butterfield Trail is a 15 mile looped backpacking trail. It starts at the Devil's Den State Park. Trail maps are available at the Park. A free permit is required. many scenic overlooks along the trail and nice rock formations

I solo the Butterfield and had a great time. Only saw one small group that was heading home.
For me it was a trail with several hard sections but also several flat sections to relax on.
Junction Camp was very pretty with both creeks flowing well.
A thunderstorm and 35 degree was my five mike hike out .
I was worried about climbing the 'Falls' but it was really easy even with the rain.
The last five miles (CW) where a lot of up and down. Even after Hells' Half Mile the elevation changes where enough to make this 54 year old a bit tired at the end of the trail.
Am I glad I did it, heck yea.
Would I do it again, no. There are too many other hike waiting for me.

Awesome awesome backpacking trail. We did this trail over the weekend and finished it in two days. 4 hours the first day to mile 7. 6 hours the next day to the end. The views are spectacular! Bring enough water as the river might not be flowing, but it was flowing for us, A lot actually. The river is between mile 6-8 and then towards mile 13 and 14 there are some little pools that form, but you might as well just finish the trail then. If you are not a hiker then this trail will be strenuous for you and you will take many stops during the inclines. If you're a frequent hiker then this trail will be moderate for you. There are perfect camp sites that are made at miles 6 1/2 through 8. Although it was a burn ban this weekend we stayed warm in our hammocks with our sleeping bags. Make sure you pick accordingly! Burn ban might be in effect when you go.

Boyfriend and I hiked the trail a few days ago. The trail is very clearly marked but yes like other reviews say it is longer than stated. If you're a beginner ~definitely~ camp overnight halfway through. But if you're a frequent hiker you could probably do it in one day. We started around 9 or 10 and barely finished by sunset at 6. I would not rate it moderate as another review stated they wouldn't, it's quite a good workout. Most gorgeous views of bright blue creeks and white rock formations are at the end, but our phones were dead.

Great 1 day or 2 day hike with several beautiful look out points along the trail. Moderate/Hard difficulty in some sections and the trail is marked fairly well. Camp between mile markers 7 and 9 along the river!
Definitely recommend for those wanting a long 1 day hike or easy 2 day hike.

knocked it out in a little under 7 hours. great hike

My first real backpacking trip. Alot of fun but really showed me how outta shape I'd gotten haha.

Have hiked this trail twice now. Beautiful forest, cool rocks/boulders, very beautiful creeks.

Gorgeous

Had a great overnight backpacking experience! Went with four of my friends who are all teenagers and my dog during middle of November. We hiked the trail clockwise from Holt road and had to hike into the night a bit. The trail is very well marked with blue diamonds on the trees. Camped at mile 10 after Junction camp. Hit the road the next morning and stopped at mile 13.5-14 to fill up water bottles at Lee Creek. Overall great experience!!!!

Hey guys!
I took my college class at the end of October and we loved it!!
9 total counting me!
We started down in the camp ground and ended back in the camp ground doing it clockwise! I'd say pretty good choice. But then again soon as you leave the camp ground either way; clockwise or counter you'll begin climbing hills! lol which isn't bad!
We camped roughly around the half way point and wasn't to far from the low creek.
(Keep in mind this time of the year: Deer season just began so we saw and heard a few four wheelers nearby at the half way point.).

Tip: camp between mile sign 7 to 9. Reason? -It's level, and a creek is right next to the trail!

We camped by mile sign 9 where an old house site was and an old well! It was a good place, besides the creek being around a 100 yards away.
Mile 9 to 11 was basically up hill. Mile 11 and on was pretty flat and down hill!

Passing by the lake in the camp ground was perfect!! My class went crazy dipping their feet in!
#Arkansas.Tech.University!
-Adjunct Professor, Mr. Bass

Me and my girlfriend hiked this trail in October. The leaves were just starting to turn and the most of the small creeks were dry so we didn't have to cross water. We hiked the loop counterclockwise. There were a few steep climbs early on but they were short. The trail descends for a few miles towards the end of the trail if you hike CCW. We camped at the rock hole site where the creek was flowing enough to replenish our water for the next day's hike out. The trail is rocky. I would not recommend hiking this trail in anything other than high-top durable hiking boots. Overall the trail is worth the hike as long as you are prepared and in good shape.

I hiked this trail about 10 years ago and I'm interested in hiking it again. I did it overnight and I remember it being harder than moderate. Good beginners backpacking trail.

If all you want is a wooded area with rocks to hike in, this is a good spot, if you want any type of views or overlooks this is definitely not the place

Hiked this trail twice, moderate hike with some really cool rock formations and creek crossings.