Buffalo River Trail: Steele Creek Campground to Villines Homestead

Buffalo River Trail: Steele Creek Campground to Villines Homestead is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Sherman, Arkansas that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

Beautiful trail, would love to see the amazing waterfalls during wet season, they were not flowing at all while we were here. But we saw some pretty icicles. We only got about half way before turning around, this trail to me is too dangerous for kids. I was a nervous wreck while on the parts of the trail that were on the EDGE of the mountain with a straight drop off. Wish I would have known that most of the trail is that way and we would have picked one more kid friendly. We have an 11 and 14 year old and our 14 year old slipped and fell on the loose rock on this trail, scared me to death. I would go alone with my husband but never again with the kids.

First time, and we loved it :)

This trailhead was actually difficult to find. Look for it to the right of the asphalt entrance road, before you get into the gravel roads and parking lot of the camp. A ranger mentioned to us that the length from trailhead to Kyles Landing would've been close to 8 miles one way, which I'm glad we found out before heading in. She was the one who suggested we go about a mile and a half to the lookout point- which was a great choice. The hike to the lookout is moderately strenuous, pretty rocky, and all uphill. The distance was perfect for us and we got to sit a while and admire that view!! An overall great hike!