Buffalo River Trail: Steel Creek Campground to Villines Homestead

Buffalo River Trail: Steel Creek Campground to Villines Homestead is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ponca, Arkansas that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

paddle sports

We camped at the campground the night before in really hard rainfall so of course the trail was really wet when we went the next day. It was really pretty and we only saw one other group on our hike on memorial day weekend. The trail is kinda hard to find, a park ranger had to point us the right direction. Definitely worth the hike. There are several lookout points and waterfalls along the trail. We were also able to sit at the edge of a waterfall looking out onto the river. It was a great spot for our morning snack!

Sunday, December 10, 2017

Beautiful trail, would love to see the amazing waterfalls during wet season, they were not flowing at all while we were here. But we saw some pretty icicles. We only got about half way before turning around, this trail to me is too dangerous for kids. I was a nervous wreck while on the parts of the trail that were on the EDGE of the mountain with a straight drop off. Wish I would have known that most of the trail is that way and we would have picked one more kid friendly. We have an 11 and 14 year old and our 14 year old slipped and fell on the loose rock on this trail, scared me to death. I would go alone with my husband but never again with the kids.

Friday, November 03, 2017

First time, and we loved it :)

Wednesday, September 06, 2017

This trailhead was actually difficult to find. Look for it to the right of the asphalt entrance road, before you get into the gravel roads and parking lot of the camp. A ranger mentioned to us that the length from trailhead to Kyles Landing would've been close to 8 miles one way, which I'm glad we found out before heading in. She was the one who suggested we go about a mile and a half to the lookout point- which was a great choice. The hike to the lookout is moderately strenuous, pretty rocky, and all uphill. The distance was perfect for us and we got to sit a while and admire that view!! An overall great hike!

Wednesday, November 08, 2017