Buckeye Mountain to Caney Creek Trail

Buckeye Mountain to Caney Creek Trail is a 10.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mena, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

When others say the trail is somewhat overgrown I'm assuming they had a better experience than we did. Haha. We went over labor day weekend and the buckeye trail was so overgrown! There were weeds that were taller than me and I'm 5'7. And talk about burning all your energy, wading through a sea of grass and weeds with your 30lb pack. It was quite comical. We even came across someone that was totally off the trail where it turns to the south to go down to caney creek. If we hadn't been there at that time who knows how long the guy would've been lost and the sun was going down fast at that point. Also when coming from buckeye trailhead, about a quarter to half mile the trail comes to somewhat of a fork. One way is straight ahead of you, the other looks like a switch back. Luckily I had read somewhere to not take that "switchback" it's goes to an old mine or something. It took us all of 5 hours to get from buckeye trailhead down to the creek. We camped by the creek and the caney creek trail part was a breeze compared to buckeye. Overall it was an okay trail but in March we did trails in ponca and had to do the same amount of effort for much greater reward.

Hiked this trail Labor Day weekend with my dog. It was a decent trail with nice views. It might be a better trail in the fall/winter when the brush has all died down. There was a ton of bushwhacking to be be done and the trail was extremely tough to follow at certain times. Fortunately my dog kept me on the trail for the most part.

This trail had some spectacular views but was very rugged. The first few miles of the trail was overgrown with the bushes over my head and it was easy to lose the trail and follow a game trail instead. Be aware of what direction you should be heading though and you should be fine, using the map on AllTrails really helped. I will definitely do this one again in a few months!

Overgrown hard to stay on trail.

Wonderful trail, fantastic views, and lots of wildlife (saw a Western Diamondback rattlesnake!). Only downside is that the trail is very overgrown and poorly marked, but it's manageable for the most part, especially for experienced hikers.

I night hiked this trail and it was amazing. It actually is a loop trail if you take a short mile walk down the main road between Caney Creek and Buckeye Mountain. The strength of this trail is definitely Buckeye Mountain; if you're into a day hike, I'd recommend doing that as an out and back. I started from Buckeye Mountain and the trail was basically a 45 degree incline for the first 1.5-2 miles. It's rough. The views from the top of the mountain are incredible though. I actually had cell phone service for the mile or two before I started my descent. I set up my hammock and took a nap where Katy Creek meets Caney Creek. From there I lost my trail; the trail isn't marked and is a bit overgrown. After you hit the creek, the hike is cake, basically just rolling hills and crossing over the creek occasionally.

We had the best time. Our dog was happy and so were we. Make sure you have plenty of water if you start at Buckeye Trail head. You have to get down the mountain before you have access to water.

Very moderate. Campsites everywhere. Little traffic. Water tastes very clean.

Good trail with great views!

Great beginner trek. Made the mistake of trying to take on a rainy weekend, ended up having to walk back to my car in pitch black heavy fog while getting completely soaked (it was a learning experience).

My girlfriend and I recently backpacked this trail on a clear weekend in November. The views are beautiful and the trail isn't too difficult as long as you are in decent shape. If you are considering hiking this trail I HIGHLY suggest you read the narrative on ouachitamaps.com and bring a map of course. These resources will help you navigate the trail as there are no signs or mile markers like other trails. However, this trail is well worn and not easy to lose. We parked and started at the Caney Creek trailhead but we hiked a mile up the gravel road to the Buckeye trailhead in order to do both trails as a 9 mile loop. The Buckeye Trail offers stunning views. We hiked 5.6 miles the first day and set up camp at Katy Falls which was spectacular also. We replensished our water there at camp and the water was very clear. The Buckeye/Caney Creek Trail junction is about another tenth of a mile south of the Katy Falls spur trail. We did the Caney Creek Trail back to our car the following day.

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Great trail that offers a challenge without crushing you. We started on Caney Creek westbound and turned north then east back to Buckeye Mountain trail head. With only one car we walked from there down the gravel road to the Caney Creek TH where we parked. There is camping available throughout the trail.

Saturday, November 05, 2016