Buckeye Mountain to Caney Creek Trail

Buckeye Mountain to Caney Creek Trail is a 10.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mena, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Wonderful trail, fantastic views, and lots of wildlife (saw a Western Diamondback rattlesnake!). Only downside is that the trail is very overgrown and poorly marked, but it's manageable for the most part, especially for experienced hikers.

I night hiked this trail and it was amazing. It actually is a loop trail if you take a short mile walk down the main road between Caney Creek and Buckeye Mountain. The strength of this trail is definitely Buckeye Mountain; if you're into a day hike, I'd recommend doing that as an out and back. I started from Buckeye Mountain and the trail was basically a 45 degree incline for the first 1.5-2 miles. It's rough. The views from the top of the mountain are incredible though. I actually had cell phone service for the mile or two before I started my descent. I set up my hammock and took a nap where Katy Creek meets Caney Creek. From there I lost my trail; the trail isn't marked and is a bit overgrown. After you hit the creek, the hike is cake, basically just rolling hills and crossing over the creek occasionally.

We had the best time. Our dog was happy and so were we. Make sure you have plenty of water if you start at Buckeye Trail head. You have to get down the mountain before you have access to water.

Very moderate. Campsites everywhere. Little traffic. Water tastes very clean.

Good trail with great views!

Great beginner trek. Made the mistake of trying to take on a rainy weekend, ended up having to walk back to my car in pitch black heavy fog while getting completely soaked (it was a learning experience).

My girlfriend and I recently backpacked this trail on a clear weekend in November. The views are beautiful and the trail isn't too difficult as long as you are in decent shape. If you are considering hiking this trail I HIGHLY suggest you read the narrative on ouachitamaps.com and bring a map of course. These resources will help you navigate the trail as there are no signs or mile markers like other trails. However, this trail is well worn and not easy to lose. We parked and started at the Caney Creek trailhead but we hiked a mile up the gravel road to the Buckeye trailhead in order to do both trails as a 9 mile loop. The Buckeye Trail offers stunning views. We hiked 5.6 miles the first day and set up camp at Katy Falls which was spectacular also. We replensished our water there at camp and the water was very clear. The Buckeye/Caney Creek Trail junction is about another tenth of a mile south of the Katy Falls spur trail. We did the Caney Creek Trail back to our car the following day.

Great trail that offers a challenge without crushing you. We started on Caney Creek westbound and turned north then east back to Buckeye Mountain trail head. With only one car we walked from there down the gravel road to the Caney Creek TH where we parked. There is camping available throughout the trail.

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Nice short trail.

Friday, January 08, 2016

Great hike, combine with caney creek east to make the loop, well worth the small climb to the top of the ridge. would love to go back when the weather is better we hiked it in DEC in the rain, but was a good day to be out either way.

Saturday, November 07, 2015

See my lengthy review and trail walk-through of the E Caney Creek / Buckeye Loop here: http://alltrails.com/trail/us/arkansas/caney-creek-east. This is a strenuous mountain trail that needs some maintenance, and the views are satisfying but not jaw-dropping for the effort -- by itself, it's a 3-star, however paired up with the E Caney Loop it's a 4-star fantastic overnight hike and well worth it.

Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Great trail but be careful not to miss the turn if u start on the Canyon Creek trail otherwise you will be hiding for 6 miles to find out that you miss the turn and have to hike a additional 11 miles back =( ........ps the turn is mark with rock formation I don't know how I missed it lol !!!

Friday, June 06, 2014

Great trail but somewhat tough at times. It gives great views of the Ouachitas, including Tall Peak. This trail works well when making a loop with Caney Creek East for the way back. Be sure to check out Katy Falls just before connecting to Caney Creek trail.

Saturday, November 10, 2012