Big Creek Cave Falls is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Vendor, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 203 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

NOTE: Caves and Mines Are CLOSED on the Ozark-St. Francis National Forests. This is a hike/bushwhack that sticks mainly to an old road, but does require some minor trail-less adventuring. The hike is featured in Tim Ernst's Waterfalls book, but the route he describes is no longer recommended, as his way is much more difficult. The area is used lightly, but gets enough traffic that you should be able to find the three major sites here without too much difficulty. That said, you'll find this hike much easier in the late fall to early spring, during leaf-off. This hike features two large waterfalls, several small falls along a beautiful creek with large boulders, and two caves, one of which you may explore and one for which entrance is prohibited in order to protect the local bats.

Good trail overall. Lots of small streams to stop at. Portions of trail were not well marked. Saw copperhead passing path. Biggest issue was getting to trail, which took about 1.5-2.5 miles (depending on which way you came). Road was bumpy in portions and somewhat steep for a car. Would have been problematic if there was mud.

Pretty easy trail, nice shady spots and sunny spots, few creek crossings and some swimming holes.

We hiked this trail today with a 2, 4, 6, and 7 year old. We made it to the trailhead in our Toyota Sienna van, although our back hitch bottomed out a couple of time on the descent. If you have a low clearance car, I'd avoid this trail. I'd recommend sandals/Chacos (over hiking boots) as a number of places on the trail are wet. We had to avoid poison ivy in a number of places, but overall it was an awesome hike. My wife saw a rattlesnake close to one of the first creek crossings, so keep your eyes open. It was an 80°F Sunday and we only saw two other groups the whole time. A great place to go if you're looking a less busy hike.

recorded Big Creek Cave Falls

Big Cave Creek Falls

Great day hike. Plenty to see and do. Followed all trails directions with no problems. Took a little dog and kids ages 5-15 all had a great time.

Great adventure. Leaving the hwy we didn’t know really what we were getting into. Glad there were a couple other cars at the pull off when we got to the trail head. It was about 15 min down a dirt road. I had a machete with me, glad I did, but not at all necessary. Just a lot of fun exploring and hiking in the creek bed. Had 4 teen boys with us, they enjoyed it. It was Memorial Day weekend, only saw one guy on our way in, and on the wet out we briefly ran into a few more ppl.

My boyfriend, 3 dogs, and I loved this trail! Super pretty day in early March and only saw one other couple on the trail as we were coming out. The falls and cave are beautiful and our dogs loved the river, it’s SO blue! We also loved the fields! Several river crossings (nothing too crazy) and a bit of scrambling if you go off trail down to the river!

Amazing trail experience. The falls were great after all of the rain. Definitely recommend but use your gps to stay on track.

Great trail and beautiful Falls, both of them. Not to difficult but adventurous. It was my 59th birthday. Took my wife and son and his girlfriend. Great day!!!

Absolutely breathtaking area and I’d highly recommend! Not too difficult or dangerous. Definitely helps to have GPS to navigate back to the different falls but SO worth it. Just jaw-dropping. Safe for kids if you watch around the water of course. It’s about 4 miles all total.

Awesome trail!!!! There are 3 or so creek crossings so keep that in mind! We took our shoes off on the way in, on the way out we said screw it....Feet wet! Follow the big fat trail the whole time! Go over the cattle guard and turn left by the “camp fire” that way you hit all the cool spots! We took a few right turns and climbed a bunch of rocks and somehow made our own trail to the cave falls! No Bigfoot spotted!

Found it hard to stick to the path, but the exploring around made it that much more fun!!

These were some of the most interesting waterfalls I’ve seen in Arkansas. There are plenty of creek crossings, so we changed shoes early and never changed back but the water wasn’t ever too high to cross. It was never over mid calf. Some parts are extremely muddy and slippery but most of the trail is fine so don’t let that deter you.

It was definitely muddy but only because people have taken atvs down there and rutted the trail out. It is a very simple trail. Only one minority step incline the reach Big Creek Cave Falls. Other than than it was a mildly flat trail. Very easy to follow this map. I ended up camping here last night and there were 2 spots to set of camp that I saw. Both falls are beautiful and pretty close to each other. I counted about 5 creek crossings all only a few inches deep. I definitely recommend taking some water shoes to change into to cross. The weather was perfect. I hike a lot of trails and this is probably the easiest “non traditional rec park” trail I’ve ever been on. 10/10 would recommend. The map is also spot on. Just watch your dogs for ticks because they are there.

Finally had the chance to check this trail out today and it delivered more than I thought. The trail was muddy iin spots, but I just consider that a good sign. The first little area you come to has a lot to look at and offer. If it had been warmer it's got a great spot for swimming. The big cave falls at the end were great and the little falls before you get up there were interesting to me. Overall a great experience and I'd recommend anyone thinking about checking it out, do so.

We couldn’t figure out where the big waterfall was so we were sad about that, but the trail was very pretty and enjoyable!

When picking my next adventure I read a lot of reviews about this trail! All I can say is everyone that gave this trail five stars, I completely agree with your rating! This trail isn’t that difficult but you do have to go through quite a few creeks! We went after a heavy rain and it was still doable! Just remember you aren’t allowed to actually go into the caves but there are plenty of places to look in without actually exploring them! This trail was 100% worth the two hour drive!

Perhaps our favorite spot in Arkansas. Secluded, but the trail is easy to follow. The river crossings are manageable, but adventurous enough the kids love it! Our dog loves getting in the water too. The two cave falls are incredible, and there are so many areas along the creek where the water has cut through the rocks to make incredible smaller falls, pools, and beauty. While I highly recommend this, I hope no one goes because the seclusion is incredible!

This is a really cool cave. However be warned. This is very very very isolated. The road is dirt and the way out or in depending on how you come is up a very very steep mountain. Kelly, you just pull your car to the side. This is literally just a gap in the trees next a dirt road. I did it alone and it felt very creepy but it’s a good hike

I will be going to Big Creek Cave Falls this weekend, I just was wondering where do we parks cars?

All caves on public lands are closed in Arkansas due to White Nose syndrome. Please change the write up, this encourages violation of the law.

flooded

Easy hike with exception of a few tough to cross creeks, only to see no major waterfall. One pretty small one was appreciated. Dens are interesting, dogs loved being out and exploring, overall our trip was fun.

When we went the water was SUPER high, which meant the waterfalls were amazing but the explorable cave was inaccessible. Be prepared for a few creek crossings, and if there has been some rain, be ready for some wading. Trail is easy to lose but there’s plenty to explore, and when we were there the survey tape still marked the creek crossings further down. We wound up following the creek down past the last cave and it was very beautiful. As others have said, trust your GPS. There are some slippery parts and scrambley parts, but mostly it’s a matter of navigating the creek and whether the water is high or not. If you go dressed/ready for water and thorny underbrush you’re gonna have a blast. Bonus: we went off trail around the cow grate and found a bunch of really old abandoned cars and the ruins of an old homestead. If you have extra time it’s a super fun offshoot trail to explore.