Yavapai Point Trail

moderate 329 reviews

Yavapai Point Trail is a 3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near New River, Arizona that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 449 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Paved Parking and Bathrooms. $6 admission fee to get into the municipal park

Excellent trail with great views of Lake Pleasant! Incline is steady with switchbacks making it a relatively easy climb to the top. A bench at the summit was a great place to eat our lunch.

We actually did the Yavapai Point and Pipeline Canyon Trail combination, started with Yavapai point - very nice trail, well marked and maintained (have to keep an eye on the trail to avoid tripping), not too strenuous, even up the switchbacks at the top. The views of the lake and surrounding area are awesome! Pipeline Canyon Trail is fairly flat, with no views of the lake, but still nice. We hiked to the bridge and back. We heard burros a couple times, but never saw them, though a family we met on the trail said they saw 10-12 near the start of their hike. FYI the fee is $7.

Gorgeous, great views. Gets narrow towards the top so dogs might be hard to manage.

Easy hike! Beautiful view!!!!

fee

the view is worth the climb. not too difficult but will get the heart going. I'd recommend doing yavapai first to get the hard part out of the way.

Very nice trail.

fairly easy trail with nice views. should be noted that there is a $7 park entry fee if you dont have an annual pass. they do accept card though.

plenty of nice vistas along easy to follow trail. beautiful overlook of lake and mountains at summit which is also turnaround point. I consider this an easy hike.

Dog friendly- great views. Path narrows a bit so if you have a reactive dog just be cautious. Very well marked and not hard at all. Last third to the top is fairly rocky but manageable.

I am a beginner and this was well tagged and easy to climb. be careful if after a rough rain because of mud. it has beautiful views. I found the most amazing spots for photo opportunities.

fee

Easy and pretty. To reach the view requires a climb, but not bad. We did this hike in December, so no snakes. Only saw one other hiking group of four people. Very peaceful afternoon hike. Costs $7 to get in, and this will also gain you entrance same day to Scorpion Bay.

easy trail. fun hike

fee

Super beautiful with a stunning view at the end! Was a bit chilly with the wind but felt good.

Fairly easy trail with terrific views at the end. My Wife and I decided to do the in during sunset and then the out under the stars. We stayed at the summit for about an hour taking in the night sky, super quiet surroundings, and comfortable fall evening. We did see one rattlesnake near the top.

This was a beautiful trail. It was a little easier than I expected, but the weather was nice and the view is awesome.

Love this trail, some switchbacks, but totally worth it! There is a cactus down on the trail but it’s easy to step over. Trail is single person wide, gorgeous views! Dog friendly, lots of lizards.

recorded Recording - May 27, 04:21 PM

recorded Yavapai Point Trail

Great trail, nice view! Would recommend this trail to anyone.

4/13/2019 Soldier Girl and I decided to hike our favorite trail again this week at Lake Pleasant (Yavapai Trail). I accidentally hit record before we left home and now it looks like we hiked to the lake from Surprise (in record time!). The weather was a perfect 80 degrees again. We did not see any snakes or burros but once again hikers ahead of us warned us about ‘several’ rattlesnakes toward the top of the trail. I took point and kept my eyes peeled, but did not see a single one. That made Soldier Girl happy of course, but I want to see a rattlesnake! We did however see a real cool colorful lizard that was so unlike anything we’ve seen before. I took some photos of it. When I got home I looked it up and the best I can tell it was an Eastern Collared Lizard. It was so cool that I think it rivals the Carrot-Tailed Chuckwalla lizard we photographed on South Mountain recently! The flowers were still gorgeous with new plants blooming every week! We also got a chance to try out our new 2.5 liter Camelbak. It was awesome. It was so comfortable and easy to use (a lot better than bottles). I filled the bladder and chilled it in the fridge overnight and the water stayed cold the entire hike. I drank just above 1 liter. I’m not sure if that was enough though (we are still getting used to hiking in the desert). Another 5 star day at Lake Pleasant’s Yavapai Trail! I’m sure we will be back soon!

Gorgeous view of the lake from the top! I was able to do some sprints up and ran most of the way back. Took the loop to Pipeline back and hit Cottonwood trail out and back for an extra 2miles. Perfect!

Another great day of hiking at beautiful Lake Pleasant in Arizona. There’s just something wonderful about water (especially in the desert!). We left the H around 0800hrs this morning to try to stay in front of the heat a bit (we’ve been leaving home about 0930hrs this season so far). As it turned out, the temps stayed perfect all day plus there always seems to be a refreshing breeze blowing at the lake. There is usually some event going on at Lake Pleasant and today it was a ‘paddle-fest’ happening with hundreds of paddle boards and various kayaks of all shapes, sizes, and colors! For some reason however, Yavapai Point Trail was a great choice to hike today because we practically had the trail to ourselves! Soldier Girl and I have hiked this trail more than any other this season and each time has been more beautiful than the preceding hike due to what seems like an extended flower bloom. Today was not an exception because the flowers were simply awesome and we took some great photos! Like last time, we bumped into a person that had just spotted a rattlesnake on the trail ahead of us. The girl was hiking with her dog and said the snake would not leave the trail (even after throwing rocks at it) so they just turned around and started back. She said she constantly sees rattlesnakes on the trails. We encouraged her to look into having her dog vaccinated for snakebites. Not sure how much it costs but I have heard there is such a shot available. The lizards were more abundant than usual today also. We heard a burro making a racket a couple times but did not see any until the drive out. We saw a bunch of buzzards circling in the sky west of us and then we overheard some hikers talking about seeing a dead burro back that direction. The only other wildlife we saw was a big crow that landed on top of a Saguaro near us. I took a couple good pictures of it before it decided we were boring and flew off. If you’re looking for a moderate trail that has a lot to offer, this is the trail! It is definitely our favorite one so far!