Yaeger Canyon Loop Trail

Yaeger Canyon Loop Trail is a 5.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cottonwood, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,522 feet Route Type: Loop

Only saw one other person the whole hike. Trees were changing colors and it was absolutely beautiful!

We started this one around 07:45 am and decided to do the hike clockwise which I would highly recommend. From our starting point to the highest point of the hike was about two miles, if you do the hike counter clockwise it is a little over four miles to the summit. The hike worked out to a little over six point four miles and was very enjoyable. Doing the hike clockwise is well worth it even though the terrain is steep in places and it gets hot fast if you start later in the day. The descent was for the most part in the shade and easy to navigate (all trails) also made it easy to find the trails when we wondered off of them to that point there was only two locations along the hike were the trail got a little thin and required a little sorting out. Overall this hike is good hike for a beginner and intermediate hikers with lots of interesting rock formations. About three quarters of the way up there is a great little location just off the trail were you can sit on some cool rocks under a large shady tree and enjoy the view, in addition to all this the variations of plant life it was well worth it. Recommendations: would recommend starting early, the earlier the better, do the hike clockwise, bring lots of water, good hat, lots of sunscreen and a few snacks.

Beautiful trail. Ran into quite a few mountain bikers who were very friendly. I had to stop several times even going in the counterclockwise direction but I'm a beginner hiker. We made it to the big rock before the rocky climb. My hiking partner could have made it all the way without stopping. Beautiful views, great weather. Will try again for sure!

What a beautiful sunset hike this was. Today I took the clockwise route for a couple of miles. Contrary to previous reviews, it seems to me that counterclockwise ascends more steeply at the beginning. The bottom line is, which ever route you take, the climbing is at the beginning and the stunning elevation views are at the back of the loop. On the clockwise direction you follow a stream if there has been recent rains or it’s early in the season; the disadvantage is it also hugs 89A more closely for a good portion of that 1st mile. The counterclockwise direction takes you immediately away from the highway. This was a mid June hike and any number of flowers- agave, too- are blooming at the higher elevations., even the prickly pear. Species seen: Scrub Jays, Black tailed Gnatcatcher’s, Vireo, Yellow Warbler, and even three Painted Redstarts!

loved this trail, like alot of over 5 mile trails in upstate AZ has alot of different geo and terrain. for the most part wide enough trails only reason it isnt 5 star there was one part that threw my wife and myself off it wasnt mark too well. we were able to see horn lizard and some good wild life. some great views in parts. my watch clocked it at over y miles

Beautiful trail but steep in places and lots of loose rocks. Not for very young children. Moderately strenuous.

This trail was super cool. Clockwise will be a lot of climbing at the beginning, counterclockwise is more gradual. Didn’t run into a single person. The trailhead is slightly hidden and it’s right off the road. If you weren’t looking for it you might miss it. Also saw quite a few deer at different points along the trail. My dog loved the trail too.

I hiked this trail January 3rd, 2019. I wanted a simple hike just to get out of Phoenix and smell some pine trees and it was perfect for that! I had never been here before and was the first person on trails #28 and #111 after a few inches of snow. Even so, I had no trouble at all staying on trail because it was nice and wide obvious the whole way. I hiked clockwise and was glad to get the climbing out of the way at the beginning. I saw lots of bunny and antelope tracks of various sizes. It took me 2.5 hours.

Hiked this trail yesterday counter clockwise. What a workout! The path is fairly wide and easy to navigate but coming down the last mile or two was a challenge. Very rocky and loose gravel narrow trail. We were glad we had walking sticks and excellent hiking boots. It took us 4 1/4 hours with a dog. It’s definitely much longer than 5.6 miles. My app put it at 7.9. We will do again. Gorgeous views. Not sure I would bring children.

Enjoyed this trail. Did it clockwise, thereby doing nearly all the climbing relatively early. The AllTrails App link for directions isn’t accurate. It links to Apple Maps and stops in the middle of a 4 lane highway, near Prescott and states you have arrived, actually about 8 miles from the trailhead. The AllTrails GPS coordinates are accurate. I put those coordinates into Google Maps and that took me directly to the trailhead for the Yaeger Canyon Loop.

Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Great trail.... not easy to find... markings off the trail are somewhat hidden... but great views and wonderful.

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

nice trail, well marked beautiful views

Friday, August 24, 2018

Nice flowers after the wonderful monsoons, no other hikers, lovely.

Saturday, August 11, 2018

First 2 miles is a steady climb and then it levels out at the top. Great hike with some nice views. We didn’t see any other hikers but had a group of bikers pass us a few times.

Monday, July 16, 2018

I really loved this trail. Great cardio and elevation gain at the beginning. Beautiful views at the top make for a perfect spot for a snack. While the ascent is exposed, the top is a nice flat stroll through shaded forest. The descent is exposed but a more gradual grade than the ascent. Overall a nice moderate hike that can be done in a morning. Fun to drive to Jerome afterwards for a well deserved cheeseburger and beer for lunch!

Sunday, April 15, 2018

I think it is a fairly boring trail. We did the clockwise loop, and after you climb and reach the top there are no more views...just forest walk. It's nice but nothing more. Note, there are two parking areas, so if you come from Prescott valley keep going beyond the the marked All Trails parking area, there is another one right behind the curve to your left.

Friday, March 23, 2018

Whew! Just finished with 2 dogs, 7 and 12 year olds! Everything went great (counter clockwise) all 7 miles under 3 hours until...the last .25 miles the dogs were accosted by javelinas. We scared them away and made it out safe! Heed the wildlife warnings!

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Fun hike, pay attention there's wildlife a plenty. Going counter-clockwise makes a great workout hike as well.

Monday, January 15, 2018

great hike!

Thursday, December 28, 2017

This is one of my favorite hikes because it boasts scenic views and gives you a great workout due to the steep incline. We have seen bear, mountain lions, and rattlesnakes, so use caution if going alone.

Sunday, October 08, 2017

Great loop, a little difficult to find the start, though. Hiked clockwise, which put the steep climb at the beginning. Wish it was a bit cooler, but fantastic nonetheless.

Friday, August 11, 2017

Great trail! Followed another user's directions and hiked the trail counter clockwise. Was a pretty heart pounding way up- good amount of exercise- mix of elevated areas and flat. Was pretty muddy when I went, but no part undoable. About 6.8 miles total loop. Biker on the trail told me he heard growling- it is bear country. Took me about 3 hours and reasonable pace.

Friday, June 09, 2017

One of my faves! So many ways to complete, if you want a short steep climb, you got it, 2 miles up and come back down. If you're going to distance, do the whole loop, it's closer to 7 total miles. It got toasty fast going up. The walk across the top thru the pines is incredible! Best if you go left to right if you're doin the loop for a overall down slope in terrain. Hike up the fire road and watch for trail on the right side of the road to begin again. Busy day since it was Memorial Day, usually on a week day, I don't see another soul.

Monday, May 08, 2017

Great trail! It states 5.7 miles, it is more like 6.8. We were a little less than prepared for the distance as we had dogs, 4! It also states kid and dog friendly, but i feel as though only kids with hiking experience and maybe not all 4 dogs. I will definitely be hiking this again!!

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

So close to Prescott Valley, and easy to park. Take 89A from PV to milepost 333, look for the "6000 ft elevation" sign, and follow the guard rail just after that. You will see a pullout for parking at the end of the guard rail. It's a little challenging to find the trailhead at first... look for the big fallen tree toward the right of the open wash area and the 533 sign is near there. Nice steady but heart-pumping climb to the top where you will have some nice views. The only downside is hearing cars in the distance. But by late afternoon there are only occasional cars and it makes for a nice sunset.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

I liked it a lot, but had a little bit of a hard time finding it. The views were great. It happened to be during a heat wave....and we didnt start until 11...I wasnt exactly sure that I was on the correct trail, so when we were 1/2 out of water we turned around. ( my dog and I). I cant wait to go again and do the entire trail? About how long does it take? Cheers!

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Just did this hike March 20 and the experience was great! WOnderful width and condition of trail. I can see why trail bikers would want to ride there. My wife and I had the trail to ourselves with views of the valley below wide ranging and clear. The change in vegetation was nice to notice , too on the way up as well as between the north and south facing canyons. It's a great workout too.We started with temperatures in the 70s. I wouldn't want to do this trail when it was above the 85 or so but there is plenty of shade. We picked a partly cloudy day that worked out well for us.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Gorgeous hike with the best views.