Y Bar Basin-Barnhardt Canyon Loop Trail

Y Bar Basin-Barnhardt Canyon Loop Trail is a 14.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Payson, Arizona that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 14.2 miles Elevation Gain: 3,992 feet Route Type: Loop

Wear pants to avoid getting scratched by plants.

great trail with Scenic views. if you want the exercise It's a Great Loop. Please don't bring less than 2 liters of water for the loop.

Excellent trail, though I made a few modifications. Went clockwise and was surprised how easy the Y-Bar trail was to follow after my last bushwhacking adventure in Deer Creek. Note: at about 4.5 miles and after making it up over the 6’300’ elevation ridge I noticed that I had gone off track while following an obvious trail. I chose to backtrack to the point where you’re supposed to descend towards the Y-Bar basin. I spent 5 minutes looking for a fork in the trail and couldn’t find a way down...so I decided to follow the obvious trail which kept me closer to Mazatzal Peak. It’s possible that the original trail is completely overgrown...so prepare for a bushwhacking/pathfinding adventure if you want to do the trail as the map suggests! On the way to Barnhardt Trail my gps wanted to lead me off trail again, but I chose to follow the obvious trail and that worked. I chose to follow Barnhardt Trail all the way down, though my map suggested going down through a wash instead. I ended up clocking about 16 miles and 3,200’ elevation change...and the trail suggests 4,000’ elevation change which I believe might be true if following the gps closer instead of the trails I took. Great adventure, and the waterfall on Barnhardt Trail wad running after all the recent rain!

Sunday, October 07, 2018

Great trail, very scenic. I did the trail counter clockwise but would do it clockwise next time with fresh legs. Y Bar trail is rough and rocky and was a little overgrown when I went threw. Plenty of cairns to follow though. I logged 15.8 miles.

Monday, August 27, 2018

More like 15.8 mi according to my GPS. The views were wonderful, lots of wildlife. We did it “backwards” trail is challenging to identify at times.

Monday, October 17, 2016

Very cool hike. You traverse a variety of different landscapes. There are scenic sections on parts of Barnhardt and on the south western side of Y-Bar (the AZ trail part). There's a bit of forest fire damage on the Y-Bar section of the loop. Took some tricky navigation to get over a few trees and identify the trail through some damaged brush areas but, otherwise, pretty safe to continue doing this trail. BRING TOUGH PANTS! Or you will get shredded up. Trail is not very maintained on the Y-Bar side (though it was recently trimmed up to the AZ trail marker coming from the Barnhardt trailhead).

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Good workout but not very scenic and trail is super rocky.

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Super pretty but a tough hike. But way worth it.

Saturday, September 29, 2018