Wolverton-Quartz Loop

Wolverton-Quartz Loop is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Prescott, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This scenic 4.7 mile loop goes to the tops of Wolverton Mountain and Quartz Mountain south of Prescott. One can conquer these two peaks out-and-back from the Aspen Creek trailhead on Copper Basin Road or White Spar Campground on AZ89. However this route shortens it up a bit and turns it into a loop by starting at the Sheriff's Posse trailhead where Sheriff's Posse Trail becomes Wolverton Trail, and making use of several social trails to connect to the NFS trails. For best views, do the loop counter-clockwise. The first 1/4 mile requires attention to cairns, as well as the abrupt left turn off NFS road 9707V, so it's wise to download this to your phone/gps, but the rest is pretty straightforward. This trail is not marked well.

We were lucky because one of the men who made the trail was at the start. It’s a great hike and we were lucky because we made smart choices. I did use google maps which guided us in the right direction. We got to the top of Wolverton then heAded down on a road. At the bottom I saw a trail that headed us back in the right direction. So we took it. Fortunately it was a right choice. The last part was through forest and shaded which was nice. Followed a trail that took us out where we didn’t park but once again my gps took us to our car. 4.2 miles. A little hot on September 15. 2018.

The trail is impossible to follow unless you have gps guiding you. There are sooo many intersecting trails and this one is not marked at all! After 2 hours I was about half way through the trail but had to backtrack because I was running out of cell phone battery. Be prepared before hiking this one! Download gps, bring extra cell phone charger and extra water! I thought it was moderate to hard. I will do it again but will be better prepared! Recommend hiking shoes for sure! On the plus side, it had beautiful views and I only ran across 3 people during the 2 hours. :)

Unless you like hiking with the map in front your face the entire time I would stay away. Wife & I got 20 minutes and turned around and went back to the car to find something else.

Great hike. Except I kept getting lost. The trail is not marked correctly and there are several different trailers leading to dead ends or elsewhere.

Beautiful views, but the trail is not marked at all, so it was impossible for us to finish the loop. The forest service is currently clearing brush in the area and the trail is unrecognizable at the start. We tried going counterclockwise and made it about 200 yards before the trail vanished. We went back to the trailhead and started in the other direction. At some points the trail splits in 2-3 directions. We had printed out the map but that was very little help as all these other trails are not on the map.
At one point after hiking for about an hour we realized we had just completed a loop on a completely different trail and were back to about a 1/4 mile from where we started (the 2nd time). Luckily I was able to get cell service and pulled up MapMyHike and the AllTrails app and was able to start back out again on the correct trail.
Once you start heading up the mountains there are fewer extraneous trails to get sidetracked on.
Hopefully someone comes though once the forest service is finished and is able to properly mark the trail.
Other than that, it’s beautiful and very few people were on the trail (they were probably lost!) and the trail is covered in quartz.

Moderate?? This is definitely one of the hardest trails I ever did. We didn’t get to finish it cause we were strapped for time. We had snow which made it a bit worse. We went straight-up for about two hours. It was very nice views of Prescott, wish we could’ve finished the entire hike but it just kept going up, and the snow kept getting deeper. They really should change this to “hard”

Great trail, definitely hard to follow, had to check the map several times and back track a couple. Still the great views, quiet walk, worth it.

fantastic trail with wonderful views of Prescott. took us 3 hours to hike and we started out on the Wolverton trail. take the app with you as there are other trails intersecting this one and there are very few trail signs along the way. one specific note...when you are on the trail 9415 below Quartz Mtn, it intersects the Wolverton trail ( shown in red on the app) and if want to go back to the Wolverton trailhead you must take the trail going DOWN the hill.

Thursday, August 11, 2016